Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

George Romero RIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Romero RIP

The forum software has done wonders for this thread.

Nick
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 17th July 2017, 02:02 PM.

Night of the Living Dead deserves its reputation as a seminal work and unlike Toby Hooper, who seems to have wilfully deconstructed his career, Romero went on to direct a number of significant films, notably, for me anyway, Martin (1977). I think it's a shame that so many of his later movies were just rehashing earlier successes, I think there was another great film in him, if he been given the chance.

Comment

I'd include Monkey Shines in that, an underrated film

Comment

The Guardian obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...omero-obituary

Nick

Comment

iinfluential director in more ways than one , i will remember him for pricking my sheltered bubble with cult b-movie oddities like Knightriders (1980) shown on bbc2 moviedrome , as much as for critically & commerically acclaimed living dead (68) . the zombie movies were good business decisions with showcasing special effects , He should mainly be remebered for an ethusiasm for genre film making and good business sense .
          Last edited by AlecLeamas; 17th July 2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I interviewed him a few years back, really nice fellow. He said that doing zombie movies was both a blessing and a curse in that all he could get financed were zombie movies but at least he had creative control and could use the films to deliver some satire. He said he would have really liked to have done a Tarzan movie. I'd have paid to have seen that.
            RIP, George.

Comment

Working...
            X