Party question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party question

Who can remember the name of those long thin sticks (longer and thinner than breadsticks, I believe, and lacking their rounded ends) that people used to eat at parties (n England) in the 1970s? They had a commercial name that I can't remember. They were very plain and savoury (but not cheesy) with a boring flavour.

Pretzel sticks, by any chance? Don't know what they taste like as I don't recall ever trying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post
      Pretzel sticks, by any chance? Don't know what they taste like as I don't recall ever trying them.
      Bingo! Thank you! Such a boring taste they had. I don't know why anybody ever bothered inventing them.

Comment

I like pretzels. A nice accompaniment to cheese or dips. They can make a person thirsty though!

I do recall these other things from the 70's but I forget what they tasted like.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	download (3).jfif
Views:	61
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	84601
        Last edited by wadsy; 13th February 2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Grissini or as we used to call them Gristicks were also very popular back then.

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post
            I like pretzels. A nice accompaniment to cheese or dips. They can make a person thirsty though!

I do recall these other things from the 70's but I forget what they tasted like.
            [ATTACH]n84601[/ATTACH]
            Twiglets might well be what I meant. The word 'Twizzles' kept coming to mind when I was trying to think of them, but they were sweet tasting sucky things.

Comment

Twiglets were smeared with Marmite so unlikely to be classed as bland.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
                Twiglets were smeared with Marmite so unlikely to be classed as bland.
                Marmite?! Blergh! Tastes like bitter beer, and I have a sweet tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post
                  Who can remember the name of those long thin sticks (longer and thinner than breadsticks, I believe, and lacking their rounded ends) that people used to eat at parties (n England) in the 1970s? They had a commercial name that I can't remember. They were very plain and savoury (but not cheesy) with a boring flavour.
                  Are you by any chance holding a 70's party? If you are and I'm invited, I'll bring along my Showaddywaddy LP to set the mood nicely.

Comment

Are you by any chance holding a 70's party? If you are and I'm invited, I'll bring along my Showaddywaddy LP to set the mood nicely.
                    Oh NO!!! Please tell me you didn't like THEM?! I mentioned the 1970s because it was the last decade that I went to a party. They're not my thing at all, but then I've mentioned I'm somewhat on the Asperger's scale, and my social skills do not stretch far enough to negotiate chaos - or chaos with strangers - which is how I think of parties.

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post

Oh NO!!! Please tell me you didn't like THEM?! I mentioned the 1970s because it was the last decade that I went to a party. They're not my thing at all, but then I've mentioned I'm somewhat on the Asperger's scale, and my social skills do not stretch far enough to negotiate chaos - or chaos with strangers - which is how I think of parties.
                      Never had any records of them to be honest with you. In fact, I hardly ever bought any records as a youngster - most of what I had were bought for me as presents. I mentioned Showaddywaddy because a lad I used to hang around with when I was about 13/14 years old was really into them. He had all their albums and merchandise.....posters, T-shirts, you name it, he had them.

I started buying lots of records and CD's in the early 80's - in fact around the time I left school and went to college, which was in 1982........oh, what I'd give to re-live those years again.

Comment

I started buying lots of records and CD's in the early 80's - in fact around the time I left school and went to college, which was in 1982........oh, what I'd give to re-live those years again.
                        Some of the early 70's and 80's albums and singles are quite collectable nowadays and can fetch quite a bit especially the limited edition coloured vinyl.

Later on nearly every 12' were Limited Editions but this was used as a sales ploy to make people buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

Some of the early 70's and 80's albums and singles are quite collectable nowadays and can fetch quite a bit especially the limited edition coloured vinyl.

Later on nearly every 12' were Limited Editions but this was used as a sales ploy to make people buy one.
                          You're right, some albums do indeed go for quite a tidy sum. I can say with confidence that none of mine would however, and I certainly don't have any coloured vinyl sadly.

When CD's were introduced in 1983, I was buying less and less vinyl and gradually started buying compact discs instead - in fact most of my pop/rock CD collection is 80's music, but I do have quite a varied taste in music from all decades. Rap is one of the few types of music I don't go for.

Comment

Rap is one of the few types of music I don't go for.
                            You missed the 'C' off the front Carl

Comment

Originally posted by BVS View Post

You missed the 'C' off the front Carl
                              It’s a silent C at the start of ‘rap’

Comment

Working...
                              X