Rosetta stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosetta stone

I found out that I could purchase this Rosetta Stone to improve my English. I speak English fluently, my problem is spelling. Does any Britmovie member know anything about this Rosetta Stone program. This program is not cheap. Would I be wasting my money if I purchase their products?

Can you give a link to it so that we can investigate it?

Or you could try Google Translate

Steve

Comment

Further investigation concerning Rosetta Stone language courses. Rosetta Stone deals in several languages. They claim their courses will have you speaking a foreign language within a short period of time. Reviews of their courses are mixed. Some praise it, others detest it and say it is a waste of time and money. As Steve said, Google Translate or as a friend suggested, buy a English dictionary.

Comment

The difficulty is that none of those things teach you proper pronunciation. Although, given the variety of accents that are normal in English, can there ever said to be any proper pronunciation.

See also the puzzling (pointless) thread on Embarrassing Accents

Steve

Comment

Funny thing is years ago when I went to Karate classes my Sensi would call out the instructions in Japanese and the class would follow his instruction, however what I would do was learn them phonetically. As the time went on I was able to tell other members of the class what to do even the ones who had been going years! On a side note I can still pronounce and also understand what they mean, I'm now convinced that this would work for any language.
          Last edited by tv horror; 7 June 2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

My son used Rosetta Stone while studying at secondary school for his GCSEs. The school owned the licence that allowed him to study any language at home. He used it for Italian and French (and a little Japanese). He found it helpful, enjoyed the structure and goals, worked hard at it and was successful with his exams. Sadly, the school dropped it without warning and he was gutted. He was planning to do more Japanese with it.

The speech recognition software that allows the product to listen and appraise your spoken answers is way better than I thought possible, but still presents the occasional unexpected outcome. By setting targets and lots of graded tests that build up and up... it seemed to call upon the same appeal as modern video games. That's probably one of the reasons that my son took so well to it.

I don't know how much it costs for a home edition. I expect it is rather expensive and an investment that you need to weigh against the chances of it being wasted.

Comment

Working...
            X