1966 World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 World Cup

Just watching the rerun of the 1966 match on Channel 4 and heard Gabby Yorath mention how the commentary has improved over the years now you have one commentator and up to two co commentators to supply comments - am listening to old commentary and totally disagree, think it's lovely not having some bunch of rambling idiots gibbering away, could quite happily do without anyone at all to be honest - anyone else got any thoughts?

Agreed!...

Comment

Don't tell me the score or who wins ... I've recorded it for later viewing (I'm doing a Likely Lads until then).

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpkinblue View Post
        Just watching the rerun of the 1966 match on Channel 4 and heard Gabby Yorath mention how the commentary has improved over the years now you have one commentator and up to two co commentators to supply comments - am listening to old commentary and totally disagree, think it's lovely not having some bunch of rambling idiots gibbering away, could quite happily do without anyone at all to be honest - anyone else got any thoughts?
        You are so right. Listening to all those pundits in the commentary box these days who of course never made any mistakes on the pitch in their playing days !!

Comment

I'm not a football fan or in any way interested in the game however I do remember watching it at the time and can remember the commentator mentioning that Nobby Stiles had lost his false teeth and was looking round the pitch for them classic!

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
            Don't tell me the score or who wins ... I've recorded it for later viewing (I'm doing a Likely Lads until then).
            My poor old dad (who had no interest in football) one day was on the receiving end of my fury when I was a kid, when I also was trying to avoid hearing an England result so I could watch the highlights in the evening once - I managed to avoid the full time results, early evening news, late evening news and was just getting ready to watch it as he wandered past mumbling "don't know why your bothering, no goals to see". argggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Comment

It's not only football. It's tennis and skating, too. Not only sport. Royal weddings , too. Absolutely pathetic commentary, always. Drives me bananas.

Comment

In Australia, very few genuine "commentators", All talking heads and "personalities".

Days of UK football commentary ... Kenneth Wolstenholme, then Jimmy Hill.

And of course, rugby league's Eddy Waring, who really was a personality, albeit unintended.

EDIT : That famous clip in many blooper files, a BBC radio announcer ... "And now the football scores ... two nil, one three, nil all, one all, ...." and so on.

And cricket's Aggers and Brian Johnston
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4mC3Y4Dw-E
                Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 8 June 2020, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post

And cricket's Aggers and Brian Johnston
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4mC3Y4Dw-E
                  Not forgetting the great John Arlott who used to tell us in that wonderful burr of his after a boundary was scored that "the ball was retrieved by a small boy in the crowd"

Comment

Richie Benaud a great cricketer and commentator
                    Who could ever forget David Coleman
                    And of course dear old
                    ​​Motty
                    Finally Jim Laker who would always drop the g of innings

Comment

Even though I don't follow football, I do remember the 1966 World Cup, because I was on a working holiday in Spain for the summer, in a bar-restaurant in Lloret de Mar, and all the English fans went berserk. They got very drunk and very loud, and kept chanting, "We won the cup, we won the cup, ee aye addio, we won the cup" everywhere they went and into the early hours of the morning. It became very tiresome and monotonous, and the locals and other holiday-makers got fed up with them, but it continued for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                        It's not only football. It's tennis and skating, too. Not only sport. Royal weddings , too. Absolutely pathetic commentary, always. Drives me bananas.
                        I tend to watch my football via an Amazon firestick so end up watching it live courtesy of TV stations beaming from Arabia, Turkey or various Eastern European countries so manage to 'zone out' of the commentary anyway and have it as background noise and concentrate on the game - if do see a game beamed via Britain or the USA because its unfortunately in English I find it an irritant as they seem so fond of their own voices and opinions they forget about about the actual game itself.

Comment

I lost my £50 bet at Ladbrokes, the match indeed went to extra time but England won 4-2 without going to a penalty shootout! LOL. Since when has an important England World Cup match not gone to penalties!!!!

Comment

• orpheum
                            orpheum commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Penalty shootouts did not start till 1980.Before that a replay would take place,and if that didn't work a coin would be tossed to decide the winner

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                          I lost my £50 bet at Ladbrokes, the match indeed went to extra time but England won 4-2 without going to a penalty shootout! LOL. Since when has an important England World Cup match not gone to penalties!!!!
                          I lost money as well. I had backed Eusebio's Portugal at 25/1 to win the cup but England beat them in the semi-finals.

Comment

Working...
                          X