BBC News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC News

Trying not to be political here, but I am sick and tired of listening to the BBC news and their 'unbiased' view of the world in general and was wondering if anyone could recommend a news service out there that gives relatively balanced view - or is that expecting a bit too much - I look upon myself as a pretty fair minded sort of person but am bored with the continual brainwashing and would like a news channel that gives facts without trying to influence the viewer.

Which way do you think the bias leans? I ask this because both the left and right seem to accuse the Beeb of being biased. I think that SKY News is probably the way to go if you favour Right-Wing politics, but other than that I can't really help.

My problem with BBC News is that it concentrates far too much on "human interest" content rather than hard news.

Comment

Try the World Service as that is a completely different animal to the domestic news service.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
        Which way do you think the bias leans? I ask this because both the left and right seem to accuse the Beeb of being biased. I think that SKY News is probably the way to go if you favour Right-Wing politics, but other than that I can't really help.

My problem with BBC News is that it concentrates far too much on "human interest" content rather than hard news.
        I believe it leans too much to the left but I don't particularly wish to replace it with one from the right - I'm just looking for one that'll give me a bit of middle ground, I find I'm being lectured and spoken down to by the Beeb nowadays and being led in a certain direction which is turning me into a grumpy old cynic (or is that just my age?!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpkinblue View Post

I believe it leans too much to the left but I don't particularly wish to replace it with one from the right - I'm just looking for one that'll give me a bit of middle ground, I find I'm being lectured and spoken down to by the Beeb nowadays and being led in a certain direction which is turning me into a grumpy old cynic (or is that just my age?!!!)
          Yes, it's probably just your age

If an equal number of people think that it's biased to the right or to the left, then that means they've got it about right.

As Nick suggested, try the World Service

Steve

Comment

No news is good news!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Yes, it's probably just your age

If an equal number of people think that it's biased to the right or to the left, then that means they've got it about right.

As Nick suggested, try the World Service

Steve
              Problem is, isn't the World Service just another name for the BBC? And I'm looking for something on the tv rather than listening to the radio cause I'm a wild kind of guy and definitely not old enough to sit in front of the wireless..... whatever you may think Steve!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpkinblue View Post

Problem is, isn't the World Service just another name for the BBC? And I'm looking for something on the tv rather than listening to the radio cause I'm a wild kind of guy and definitely not old enough to sit in front of the wireless..
                There’s nothing wrong with radio, or with the BBC.
                I have BBC Radio 4 on as background audio all the time, when I’ Not watching TV

Steve

Comment

I believe it leans too much to the left but I don't particularly wish to replace it with one from the right
                  I think you are seeing what you want to see. In reality, BBC News coverage has become pretty mushy. Kuesnburg pretty much blew it when evidently regurgitating Cummings excuses for heading to Durham, and its coverage of C19 has often been bland at best. C4 has asked much more searching questions. When it does get it right, such as Emily Mattlis on Newsnight, the government has scared the BBC into dropping stories or even presenters. No.10 phoned a very senior member of the BBC to get them to discipline her, not because what she had said was in any way untruthful, but simply because they didnt like it.

The BBC made the Panorama episode about the lack of PPE in hospitals. And then BBC news simply ignored the story, as though the programme had never existed.

Put it this way, Norma Smiths job at 6.30am each morning is to tell us what 'No.10 thinks'. There is little analysis or attempt to check it against reality. Its, as one commentator put it. blue tooth speaker journalism. There are some good people, like Fiasal islam, but all to often, its ill researched bland bothsideism. And they are doing that because they are terrified.

If I want to know about Brexit, I am vastly better listening or watching RTE - the BBC is largely clueless, follows tabloid agendas and off the record briefings, and is toothless in its interviewing. The fact that Boris Johnson is PM is a testament to how the BBC really never did its job.

The BBC does great programming. but its news is often awful pap. The World Service is a gem, and its stunning how different its running order is from R4 national news. thats because the national news is about froth, whatever source has said what during the day, and spin. The World Service is much more analytical and less provincial.

the right complain about the bBC because it works - the BBC is terrified. It doesnt matter whether the charges make any sense, its about fear. And they enjoy it, plus its effective. Government ministers have not appeared on BBC news to be questioned for months - and thats deliberate. But they havnt been called out for it.

The left tend to be upset because they think they are being treated unfairly - sometimes they are, and sometimes they are not. But they have a point when they say that the BBC is much more likely to put forward a conservative view as 'balance', no matter what the truth of it is - because thats what they tend to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X