Landline telephone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landline telephone

Is the day coming that landline phones will be obsolete? Here in Canada and the U.S. many subscribers have cancelled landline phone services and now only use the mobiles. I still have my landline phone. The problem with mobile phones if you lose your electrical power during a storm or blizzard your mobile phone, if needed recharge, you will not be able till the electrical power is back on. Some years ago we had a bad storm, power lines were down, many individuals had no electrical power in their homes for over a week.
    a

I hang in survival forums and the consensus concerning most things is not to put all your eggs in one basket, so having a mobile AND a landline improves your chances of being able to stay in touch with people if one goes up the spout in a good old apocalypse.
    A lot of survivalists also have a third option, namely Citizen's Band radio, to stay in touch with each other.
    And in the event of power failures, survivalists usually have stand-by generators and/or batteries to make things go, heck you can even get hand-cranked wind-up gadgets that provide a few minutes of power for whatever you plug into them.
    Small solar panels are another way of getting power, stand them on your windowsill and plug rechargeable batteries in.

PS- I got my latest quarterly landline phone bill the other day, a steep £77 and I hardly make any calls with it, I need it mostly just for my internet connection!
    Last edited by Eyeball; 11 July 2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Where I live the signal on my mobile is not always great so I am pleased to have the option of the landline. I have a good deal with my provider.

Comment

Eyeball This is a pet hate of mine and I've even complained to OFCOM but no answer, I have a landline which I've not used in years in fact I don't even know where it is in the house (). Seriously I am only paying for it because of my internet provider insisting that I have one, I think that it is a con. Heck I don't even receive calls on it anymore and can't even remember when it happened last.

Comment

Incidentally, I don't have a mobile simply because I've never needed one and am therefore no expert on them, but doesn't using one mean your privacy and security flies out the window?
          I mean, your radio signals are going into open space and can be picked up by anybody, and also your location can be traced by anybody who's interested..

By contrast landlines are a lot more secure and at least snoopers would have to go to the trouble of tapping our phone..

Comment

• tv horror
            tv horror commented
            Editing a comment
            They can certainly TAP my phone as it is richer than me as I just throw money at it!

Originally posted by Eyeball View Post
          Incidentally, I don't have a mobile simply because I've never needed one and am therefore no expert on them, but doesn't using one mean your privacy and security flies out the window?
          I mean, your radio signals are going into open space and can be picked up by anybody, and also your location can be traced by anybody who's interested..

By contrast landlines are a lot more secure and at least snoopers would have to go to the trouble of tapping our phone..
          But they can only trace your location or tap your phone with some very sophisticated equipment. Don't believe what they show on TV shows like Spooks (aka MI5 in much of North America)

Just because other people mention it, there's no need to be paranoid about it.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
            But they can only trace your location or tap your phone with some very sophisticated equipment. Don't believe what they show on TV shows like Spooks (aka MI5 in much of North America)

How about it Norman?

The trick is to maintain a healthy balance between common sense and paranoia, for example hand-held radio transmission detectors like this are already freely available to the public, so in an apocalypse situation mobile phone users should keep their calls to a minimum to prevent the bad guys from eavesdropping and homing in on them..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Steve
              Ah but then again you will know the old saying Steve......

''Just because you are not paranoid - doesn't mean they are not out to get you''

Comment

True story- about 25 years ago when I lived in Leicester, one of my neighbours was a youngish chap, easy to get on with but sadly but suffering from schizophrenia, for example we'd see him walking down the street then suddenly lay down on the pavement for a while because presumably "the voices" told him to.
                Once I bumped into him in town, he was squatting down with his back against Woolworths, looking at something in his hand.
                i went over to say hello and saw that it was a small gadget with a dial, and the needle was flicking all over it.
                "It's a radio wave detector" he said, "so that I can tell when they're beaming harmful rays at me".
                "When who are?" I asked, and he replied that he didn't know, so I said- "Well that's the town hall just up Horsefair Street there, so perhaps the left-wing council are the culprits".
                He thanked me for the suggestion and we parted on good terms.

Comment

Working...
                X