• Nick Dando
    replied
    The Guardian obituary

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...obday-obituary

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    started a topic Peter Hobday RIP

Peter Hobday RIP

Peter Hobday, long-serving presenter of the Today programme whose amiable style endeared him to listeners – obituary

Peter Hobday: 'Out in listener land, they like his jokes, they like him, they even like his frequent bulletins on the health of his camellias'
    CREDIT: GEOFF WILKINSON/REX

TELEGRAPH - 20 JANUARY 2020 • 8:52PM

Peter Hobday, who has died aged 82, was unceremoniously sacked from Radio 4’s Today programme in 1996, having presented the network’s flagship current affairs programme for 14 years and become one of its longest-serving anchormen.

The reason – not that he was ever given one – for the abrupt non-renewal of his contract seems to have been that the amiable-sounding Hobday refused to behave like an attack dog on air. Hobday himself was wounded by his dismissal, but remained philosophical. “A fat, middle-aged hack like me,” he noted ruefully, “didn’t really square with the mean, lean interview machine. [I] wasn’t invasive and I didn’t feel the need to scream and shout.”

Even so, later in life he felt proud of have been part of such a successful programme....

Note: The complete obituary is available only to subscribers.
    Last edited by Maurice; 20th January 2020, 10:16 PM.
Working...
X