Herbert Lom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbert Lom

I knew Herbert Lom from the Pink Panther films and a version of Phantom of the Opera. Recently he's been on a variety of films shown on Talking Pictures channel. I really like his performances. I looked him up on IMDb and Wikipedia and he had a long life of worthy performances. Born in Hungary, his name was
    Herbert Charles Angelo Kuchačevič ze Schluderpacheru, but after looking in a phone book for the shortest name he could find, he went by the name Herbert Lom.
    His shaved head in The Ladykillers, was for the role of the King in the original London production of The King and I.

I've just seen him in the comedy Brass Monkey(1948), the thrillers Beautiful Stranger(1954) and Hell Drivers(1957) - both with Stanley Baker.
    Last edited by StoneAgeMan; 12 April 2021, 12:19 PM.

He is a really good actor far too good for the Pink Panther films. Much better placed in good drama. Or Ealing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
      I knew Herbert Lom from the Pink Panther films and a version of Phantom of the Opera. Recently he's been on a variety of films shown on Talking Pictures channel. I really like his performances. I looked him up on IMDb and Wikipedia and he had a long life of worthy performances. Born in Hungary, his name was
      Herbert Charles Angelo Kuchačevič ze Schluderpacheru, but after looking in a phone book for the shortest name he could find, he went by the name Herbert Lom.
      His shaved head in The Ladykillers, was for the role of the King in the original London production of The King and I.

I've just seen him in the comedy Brass Monkey(1948), the thrillers Beautiful Stranger(1954) and Hell Drivers(1957) - both with Stanley Baker.
      Keep an eye out for The Frightened City.

Comment

He is a favourite of mine and impressive in just about everything. About shaving his head: Herbert was balding very early on and usually wore a wig or toupee. In fact, in one of the Pink Panther films, when he is dragged out of a lake, his toupee starts to flop off and he quickly slaps it back onto his head.

Years later he was on WOGAN and Terry mentioned the bald head and Herbert said, ahem, he'd shaved it for a role he was currently playing.

Comment

In Hell Drivers, he had a lovely toupee, which looked as good as Sean Connery's... made me wonder if they shared notes.

Comment

googiefan was correct about Herbert Lom, miscast in the Pink Panther films. He had far better roles in such films as North West Frontier, stars Kenneth More, and Lauren Bacall and Chase a Crooked Shadow with Richard Todd and Anne Baxter. The first Pink Panther film with Peter Sellers, his portrayal as the police commissioner was passable. But his dramatic roles were best suited for his acting talents.
            Last edited by Eric7885; 20 April 2021, 05:42 PM. Reason: Information

Comment

Working...
            X