Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Adam Faith spied on Fidel Castro!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Faith spied on Fidel Castro!

This may not be the right section for this, but the new forum doesn't have a "60s idols involved in cold war espionage" section any more!

Good story. Not really cold war.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...castro-for-mi6

Hearsay, rumour, and you can't libel the dead so he can't deny it

Steve

Comment

Went bankrupt in his latter years, didn't he ?

Adam set up 'the money channel' for TV, and it collapsed, as I recall.

Went on tour again, and had a heart attack shortly after a concert, just eaten fish and chips, which he was fond of.

Comment

Yep. He died too young. But he left us Budgie, What a Whopper, Mix Me a Person, and among others ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pjZ82KwNWw

(This performance complete with c**k-up)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
          Hearsay, rumour, and you can't libel the dead so he can't deny it

Steve
          Not sure if it's libel......?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
            Not sure if it's libel......?
            Potentially libellous, but you can't libel the dead so people feel free to write any old nonsense about those who are no longer with us

It's up to a judge to decide whether it's really libel

Steve

Comment

Potentially libellous, but you can't libel the dead so people feel free to write any old nonsense about those who are no longer with us.

It's up to a judge to decide whether it's really libel.

Steve
              I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was not nonsense.

I suspect it would be more likely to be libellous if the claim was that he was spying for Castro rather than on him!

Comment

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was not nonsense.
                Why, it was in the Guardian. Anything in any British newspaper should be discarded as rumour or speculation, or just as lies. Or maybe a rewriting (usually copied verbatim) of a press release

Steve

Comment

Why, it was in the Guardian. Anything in any British newspaper should be discarded as rumour or speculation, or just as lies.
                  I can't agree with that. It should be checked, and scrutinized and challenged - but just discarded? No.
                  And you say "British newspapers" ... are other countries' press any better? I know Spain's is just as full of bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaton View Post

I can't agree with that. It should be checked, and scrutinized and challenged - but just discarded? No.
                    And you say "British newspapers" ... are other countries' press any better? I know Spain's is just as full of bias.
                    Everything from any British newspaper should be checked, double checked, challenged, scrutinised - and then discarded

Not everything in every British newspaper is a lie. They usually get the date right
                    But most of it is lies

I don't know how they compare with newspapers from other countries. I only live in this country and British newspapers are the ones most often quoted or cited here. Many of them are all owned by the same people

Steve

Comment

Everything from any British newspaper should be checked, double checked, challenged, scrutinised - and then discarded

Not everything in every British newspaper is a lie. They usually get the date right
                      But most of it is lies.

I don't know how they compare with newspapers from other countries. I only live in this country and British newspapers are the ones most often quoted or cited here. Many of them are all owned by the same people.

Steve
                      That doesn't really apply in this particular instance. The Guardian is merely reporting what has been claimed in a book written by a former colleague and close friend of Faith.

"It is claimed in a new book by David Courtney, whom Faith managed, that the singer told of being asked by MI6 to spy on Cuba’s communist leader,
                      Fidel Castro, during a visit there in 1997."

So IF anyone is lying, it's not the journalist, it's either Courtney or Faith himself.

Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 14th March 2017, 01:52 AM.

Comment

That doesn't really apply in this particular instance. The Guardian is merely reporting what has been claimed in a book written by a former colleague and close friend of Faith.

"It is claimed in a new book by David Courtney, whom Faith managed, that the singer told of being asked by MI6 to spy on Cuba’s communist leader,
                        Fidel Castro, during a visit there in 1997."

So IF anyone is lying, it's not the journalist, it's either Courtney or Faith himself.
                        That comes under the heading of "rewriting (usually copied verbatim) of a press release" without fact checking it at all

Steve

Comment

If true! I wonder why he did it? After all, "What do you want if you don't like money. What do you want if you don't like gold?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bernardo View Post
                            If true! I wonder why he did it? After all, "What do you want if you don't like money. What do you want if you don't like gold?"
                            You wonder why who did it? Faith, Courtney or the Guardian journalist?

Steve

Comment

That comes under the heading of "rewriting (usually copied verbatim) of a press release" without fact checking it at all

Steve
                              Did you fact-check that the Guardian journalist did not read the book?

Originally posted by Bernardo View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X