Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Great British Comedians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great British Comedians

I've just realised why there isn't already a topic about this - there are just so many British comedians, and some may not be considered "funny". So instead of trying to list them, let me just extol my very favourite comedian of them all - Les Dawson. There, I'm "out" on that subject. Just the thought of him makes me chuckle and his craggy looks that only a former boxer could achieve, bring a laugh without anything being said. Although there are some universal things that are just funny, comedy is very much an individual taste, so let's have a discussion on which British comedian of the television age cracks you up. It should be a laugh, if nothing else.

I'm with you Judge, Les Dawson was my favourite comic as well. I loved Tommy Cooper, Eric & Ernie and Frankie Howerd, but there was just something about Les. He had such a wonderful way with words. He could make the mundane situation of having no roof on the outside privy into a tour de force.
    Not forgetting of course Cissie & Ada, Cosmo and Zebidiah Twine.

Comment

That's strange, because I was about to reply to your comment about Forsyth, as you say, probably the last great British variety entertainer. Mind you, they said that when Dickie Henderson died a while back...linking the two ideas, let's not forget the Roly-Polys, a typical Les Dawson take on the old "dancing girls" (!) variety routine - tap, kick and shuffle. You're right, Les created some great characters, but in my view he was best as himself. I wonder if you've read any of his books. A Clown Too Many always brings a tear to my eye, but then I am an old softie. He had a lovely writing style too. Never met him, but we ogled at his house during a Laurel and Hardy convention in Lytham St. Anne's. Sadly missed.

Comment

I like Morcombe and Wise and Victoria Wood.. In modern times I like Peter Kay and Paul O' Grady, other than that there is nobody these days that makes me laugh, except Alan Carr on his radio show.

I find most comedians today very unfunny indeed.
        Last edited by Faginsgirl; 20th August 2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I would concur with all the names mentioned above (apart from Paul O'Grady). I've always liked Les Dawson and thought he was far better at Blankety Blank than Terry Wogan - no disrespect to Terry whatsoever, but I didn't particularly find him very funny. I haven't been to Lytham St. Annes for a while now but I'm assuming Les' statue is still in the gardens.

Other comedians I always watched were The Two Ronnies, they never failed to make me laugh. Even the sitcoms they appeared in individually were great, namely 'Sorry' with Ronnie Corbett and of course 'Open All Hours' with Ronnie Barker.

Comment

Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post
            I like Morcombe and Wise and Victoria Wood.. In modern times I like Peter Kay and Paul O' Grady, other than that there is nobody these days that makes me laugh, except Alan Carr on his radio show.

I find most comedians today very unfunny indeed.
            I certainly agree with your last comment. They seem to rely entirely on filth or political messaging. Victoria Wood was a complete original, wonderful. Peter Kay is sustaining the fine tradition of stand-up comedy but I'm not so sure about O'Grady. Most of today's comedians are about as funny as finding a dead mouse in the bath when you're looking for the soap, and they seem more suited to work as bank clerks than entertainers. Other than the legendary Ken Dodd of course, bless 'im.

Comment

I agree that Ronnie Barker was very funny, not so much Corbett for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Foozle View Post

They seem to rely entirely on filth or political messaging.
                Absolutely! Not really imaginative.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Foozle View Post
                  They seem to rely entirely on filth or political messaging.
                  I was watching the last 20 minutes or so of 'Live at the Apollo' on the BBC because I wanted to see a film which was coming on immediately afterwards. I don't even know the name of this "comedian", but I can say without any doubt whatsoever that he was about as funny as a boil on the backside. Any comedian who has to resort to shouting and laughing at his/her own jokes really needs to go and look for another career.

Comment

I agree with all the above but I would say that Ronnie Corbett could be good too and he told a very good joke!

Comment

Originally posted by cully View Post

Ronnie Corbett could be good too and he told a very good joke!
                      Yes Cully, but sitting in that chair, he took a long time to tell a joke LOL

Comment

I watched a stage performance on t.v with Rob Brydon (sp?) a while ago and thought he was hilarious.

Comment

Benny Hill is the doyen of comedians. Barker carried Corbett for much of their long partnership. But together they were just about the cream of the crop of all comedic partnerships.. Also enjoyed the work of Hale & Pace. Morecombe & Wise I could only take in small doses as Morcombe over acted big time. Harry Enfield is my top of the shelf of all modern comedians.

The one and only Benny Hill.
                          Last edited by chillingfilmania; 22nd August 2017, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chillingfilmania View Post

Benny Hill is the doyen of comedians.
                            I forgot about Benny Hill. I realise his comedy wasn't to everybody's taste, but personally I always enjoyed his shows.

I would also include game show hosts, for example Bob Monkhouse I always found to be a good and humorous host. I haven't seen Family Fortunes for many years, but I did catch a glimpse of Vernon Kay presenting it fairly recently and quite frankly ended up switching over.....he was just too "loud" for me (if I can put it like that), compared with Uncle Bob's shows.

Comment

Originally posted by chillingfilmania View Post

Benny Hill is the doyen of comedians. Barker carried Corbett for much of their long partnership. But together they were just about the cream of the crop of all comedic partnerships.. Also enjoyed the work of Hale & Pace. Morecombe & Wise I could only take in small doses as Morcombe over acted big time. Harry Enfield is my top of the shelf of all modern comedians.

The one and only Benny Hill.
                              I liked Benny Hill period but I think the programmes in the 1960s were much cleverer than afterwards where he tended to rely on the girls...

Comment

Working...
                              X