Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Great British Comedians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone remember David Kossoff?

Comment

Thanks Judge. I think Hylda should be far more remembered than she is. She had a huge career yet is all but forgotten. She needs a revival.

Comment

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Sid Field yet. IIRC, most of the other great comedians looked up to him. Admittedly, little of his work is on film.

Comment

Originally posted by cully View Post
          I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Sid Field yet. IIRC, most of the other great comedians looked up to him. Admittedly, little of his work is on film.
          Indeed, contemporary with a young Tommy Trinder. And the one that inspired them all....Dan Leno, but perhaps that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Foozle View Post
            Anyone remember David Kossoff?
            Did David Kossoff do comedy?

Comment

Dandy nichols in Till death us do part. Very very funny.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post

Did David Kossoff do comedy?
                Indeed he did. Played Pa Larkin in the original "The Larkins" and was in both "Mouse" comedy films with Margaret Rutherford and Bernard Cribbins. Also did a lot of comedy stuff on children's television, contemporary with Michael Bentine. Also did a lot of "you don't have to be Jewish" humour (like Jackie Mason today). Also appeared in panto (Baron Hardup in Cinderella) and did comedy parts in TV ads.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
                  Dandy nichols in Till death us do part. Very very funny.
                  Agreed. She was also in Carry On Doctor as Mrs. Roper.

Comment

I always found Thora Hird funny and a wonderful comedienne. In Loving Memory and of course, Last Of The Summer Wine were two great comedy shows she appeared in. Meet The Wife was a little before my time, but I always remember my parents saying how funny it was.

Comment

Yes, we've been blessed with so many great female comedians, like Patricia Hayes. Sylvia Sims, Avril Angers, Jo Kendall...plus those already mentioned. But if someone challenges me to name the greatest female comedian (comedienne as we used to say) it would be Peggy Mount, closely followed by Hylda Baker. But Patricia Hayes is up there with the best, too.

Comment

Since we're currently talking about comediennes (a perfectly valid word still quite rightly in use!) I must give a shout out for Rita Webb, Yootha Joyce, Barbara Mitchell, Anna Karen, Hattie Jacques, Patsy Rowlands and Joan Sanderson. Quintessentially British, tremendous actresses with exquisite comedy timing. I'd find it well nigh impossible to nominate our funniest woman, there have been so many.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
                          Since we're currently talking about comediennes (a perfectly valid word still quite rightly in use!) I must give a shout out for Rita Webb, Yootha Joyce, Barbara Mitchell, Anna Karen, Hattie Jacques, Patsy Rowlands and Joan Sanderson. Quintessentially British, tremendous actresses with exquisite comedy timing. I'd find it well nigh impossible to nominate our funniest woman, there have been so many.
                          Dora Bryan would be up there!

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post

Is the radio show much different from the TV show?
                            I prefer his radio show because of the lack of certain annoying celebs. Also I don't know if it is just me, but a lot of presenters seem more relaxed on radio.

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

Dora Bryan would be up there!
                              I saw Dora play a Swedish maid in a movie. The accent was excellent and she was hilarious. One of the best comediennes there was. Or was Dora simply a versatile actress who was comfortable playing comedic roles. Do not recall the film's name at this moment.

Comment

Dora was excellent. I'm glad Tonch mentioned all the excellent comediennes out there. The men get all the credit and limelight yet personally I think the women are much better. Thanks Tonch

Comment

Working...
                                X