Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Great British Comedians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw Paul Eddington in, I think, the original run of Noises Off - most hilarious!

Comment

There are a few other people who have come to mind lately who make me laugh, so perhaps I have been too harsh.

Still, I have watched a couple of shows lately where the stand up comedians have copied each others jokes which was very odd. It's hard to keep coming up with things I suppose and you need to be brave to be funny. I certainly couldn't do it

Comment

Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post
        you need to be brave to be funny. I certainly couldn't do it
        I remember a TV interview with several "old school" comedians all together and Duggie Brown said that it's very hard to get up in front of a crowd of people and make them laugh, to which Bernard Manning immediately quipped: "How would you know?"

I stumbled across this little gem of a film a couple of days ago: a trio of superb character studies in a bittersweet tribute to three of our true comedy greats. Funny, thought-provoking, poignant and not a wasted line in there. I hope it reaches the wider audience it deserves:

Comment

Priceless! Wonderful! Never seen that before. Thank you, Tonch.

I've just made up a joke. "I've just spotted an intruder on my CCTV. Now, I don't approve of burglary, but I can see where he's coming from!" LOL! I;m too good for this place!

Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by Panavision View Post
            I've just made up a joke. "I've just spotted an intruder on my CCTV. Now, I don't approve of burglary, but I can see where he's coming from!" LOL! I;m too good for this place!

Johnny
            Don't call us ...

Steve

Comment

Best comedian ever as I’ve said before. Hylda Baker she deserves far more recognition.

Comment

Ithangyeww, Steve!

Googiefan, yes she was so funny. Did you know she ran a chip shop on Plodder Lane in Farnworth for a while? I think it's still there. Will investigate when I go past again. Another snippet: Cynthia was played by none other than Roger Moore...only once, though, on, I think, it was the Eamonn Andrews Show!

Comment

I knew she was born in Farnworth and no i didn’t know she ran a chip shop or that Roger played a Cynthia. I read Matthew kelly was a Cynthia. There should be a statue or other memorial of Hilda

Comment

Have to agree on Hylda Baker - a rare and precious talent, woefully forgotten by too many these days. She was fabulous.

Years ago, I knew a garage mechanic who worked in Scarborough. I recall him telling me how he'd met a few of the old variety stars when they did Summer seasons there. Among the funniest he ever encountered was Hylda. He said that she'd bring her car in for a service and within no time at all she'd have the whole garage chuckling and giggling with mirth - a very funny lady, both on and off camera.

She was very diminutive. Apparently he had to attach "blocks" to the pedals ( a bit like fitting "lifts" in shoes) to ensure her little legs could safely reach them!

Comment

Charles Hawtrey - he was amazing in Brandy for the Parson.

Comment

Working...
                      X