X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Foozle
    started a topic Great British Comedians

Great British Comedians

I've just realised why there isn't already a topic about this - there are just so many British comedians, and some may not be considered "funny". So instead of trying to list them, let me just extol my very favourite comedian of them all - Les Dawson. There, I'm "out" on that subject. Just the thought of him makes me chuckle and his craggy looks that only a former boxer could achieve, bring a laugh without anything being said. Although there are some universal things that are just funny, comedy is very much an individual taste, so let's have a discussion on which British comedian of the television age cracks you up. It should be a laugh, if nothing else.

• Martin Carroll
    replied
    I used to be a member on the 'old' Forum and, after lurking for a while, I decided to rejoin.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Max Miller on this thread. Very little of his stand-up routine survives on video but there's audio on YouTube. Bob Monkhouse called him the greatest front of cloth comedian in Europe and there's a very interesting part in Bob's autobiography, Crying With Laughter, where he meets Max in 1949. Max had watched Bob's stand-up routine and gave him some advice which Bob always remembered, e.g. timing the crossover between the punchline of one joke and the start of another. Bob used to do this a lot - and he did it brilliantly. He makes an interesting point about Max's advice - 'the rules', as Max called it. Virtually no modern comedian takes any of it onboard and I think that's why some of us on this thread find modern stand-up so unfunny. Michael McIntyre is a good example - he runs all over the stage like an over-excited puppy that wants to be liked.

Leave a comment:

• loveJD
    replied
    Charles Hawtrey - he was amazing in Brandy for the Parson.

Leave a comment:

• Tonch
    replied
    Have to agree on Hylda Baker - a rare and precious talent, woefully forgotten by too many these days. She was fabulous.

Years ago, I knew a garage mechanic who worked in Scarborough. I recall him telling me how he'd met a few of the old variety stars when they did Summer seasons there. Among the funniest he ever encountered was Hylda. He said that she'd bring her car in for a service and within no time at all she'd have the whole garage chuckling and giggling with mirth - a very funny lady, both on and off camera.

She was very diminutive. Apparently he had to attach "blocks" to the pedals ( a bit like fitting "lifts" in shoes) to ensure her little legs could safely reach them!

Leave a comment:

• googiefan
    replied
    I knew she was born in Farnworth and no i didn’t know she ran a chip shop or that Roger played a Cynthia. I read Matthew kelly was a Cynthia. There should be a statue or other memorial of Hilda

Leave a comment:

• Panavision
    replied
    Ithangyeww, Steve!

Googiefan, yes she was so funny. Did you know she ran a chip shop on Plodder Lane in Farnworth for a while? I think it's still there. Will investigate when I go past again. Another snippet: Cynthia was played by none other than Roger Moore...only once, though, on, I think, it was the Eamonn Andrews Show!

Leave a comment:

• googiefan
    replied
    Best comedian ever as I’ve said before. Hylda Baker she deserves far more recognition.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied
    Originally posted by Panavision View Post
    I've just made up a joke. "I've just spotted an intruder on my CCTV. Now, I don't approve of burglary, but I can see where he's coming from!" LOL! I;m too good for this place!

Johnny
    Don't call us ...

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Panavision
    replied
    Priceless! Wonderful! Never seen that before. Thank you, Tonch.

I've just made up a joke. "I've just spotted an intruder on my CCTV. Now, I don't approve of burglary, but I can see where he's coming from!" LOL! I;m too good for this place!

Johnny

Leave a comment:

• Tonch
    replied
    Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post
    you need to be brave to be funny. I certainly couldn't do it
    I remember a TV interview with several "old school" comedians all together and Duggie Brown said that it's very hard to get up in front of a crowd of people and make them laugh, to which Bernard Manning immediately quipped: "How would you know?"

I stumbled across this little gem of a film a couple of days ago: a trio of superb character studies in a bittersweet tribute to three of our true comedy greats. Funny, thought-provoking, poignant and not a wasted line in there. I hope it reaches the wider audience it deserves:

Leave a comment:

• Faginsgirl
    replied
    There are a few other people who have come to mind lately who make me laugh, so perhaps I have been too harsh.

Still, I have watched a couple of shows lately where the stand up comedians have copied each others jokes which was very odd. It's hard to keep coming up with things I suppose and you need to be brave to be funny. I certainly couldn't do it

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied
    I saw Paul Eddington in, I think, the original run of Noises Off - most hilarious!

Leave a comment:

• googiefan
    replied
    Dora was excellent. I'm glad Tonch mentioned all the excellent comediennes out there. The men get all the credit and limelight yet personally I think the women are much better. Thanks Tonch

Leave a comment:

• chillingfilmania
    replied
    Originally posted by wadsy View Post

Dora Bryan would be up there!
    I saw Dora play a Swedish maid in a movie. The accent was excellent and she was hilarious. One of the best comediennes there was. Or was Dora simply a versatile actress who was comfortable playing comedic roles. Do not recall the film's name at this moment.

Leave a comment:

• Faginsgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post

Is the radio show much different from the TV show?
    I prefer his radio show because of the lack of certain annoying celebs. Also I don't know if it is just me, but a lot of presenters seem more relaxed on radio.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X