Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

and introducing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and introducing...

Noticed in one of Stephen Pickard's recent contributions a poster for 'No Trees in the Street' which bore the legend 'Introducing Melvyn Hayes'.

I suppose the most well known 'introducings' would be Michael Caine in Zulu and Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.

Anyone have any more obscure or surprising examples?

Hello (Silver) Tyne. A good Topic to start the month. The Sentimental Agent
    (1963), starring Carlos Thompson, "introduced" three well-known actresses.

Diana Rigg in A Very Desirable Plot:

Sue Lloyd in The Height of Fashion:

And Susan Clark in Finishing School:

Look at the difference in picture quality in the images featuring Tower Bridge.

As Danger Man fans will know, the half-hour episodes always began with "Introducing Patrick
    McGoohan". Didn't Erica Rogers get a similar credit for The Saint as well as Man of the World?

Comment

Great idea for a thread. Looking forward to seeing some more. Meanwhile, I'm trying to remember some... blasted brain cells aren't working yet.

Comment

"and introducing Patsy Ann Noble [i.e. Tricia Noble] as Francesca" in Death is a Woman (1965)
        "and introducing Tommy Steele singing "Rebel Rock" " in Kill Me Tomorrow (1957)
        "and introducing The Right Honourable Sir Travers Humphreys P.C." in Murder Anonymous (1955)
        "and introducing "Disraeli" " in The Spy with a Cold Nose (1966)

The thing about "and introducing . . ." credits is that more often than not they weren't introducing at all but it was a publicity stunt for performers who had usually several credits already, most outrageously "and introducing John Hurt as The War Doctor" in THE NIGHT OF THE DOCTOR (2013).

Comment

Does "Introducing" apply to actors' first starring role on film? Diana Rigg and Susan Clark had already appeared on video tape.

Man of the World credits ft. Erica Rogers in The Runaways ...

And Suzanne Neve in Shadow of the Wall (both 1962):

Clearly a mistake to superimpose the stars' names over a camera lens - Graham Stark/e and Paul Maxwell (who features in my previous post) are almost unreadable. That's the only fault I've found with this wonderful series, one of my Top 5 1960s shows. The Sentimental Agent was the ill-fated spin-off.
          Last edited by cornershop15; 2nd April 2017, 02:00 AM.

Comment

I don't mind whether it's on film or not. Some very good examples so far.

I've remembered another - Dominic Guard in his BAFTA award winning role in one of my favourite movies, The Go-Between. He's now a psychotherapist apparently.

As an aside, Melton Constable Hall, where the above was filmed, is sadly on the 'At Risk' register, having fallen into disrepair.

Comment

Just seen another one:

"And introducing Vanessa Redgrave" in Behind the Mask (1958).

Comment

Merton Park's Timeslip (1955), "introducing Peter Arne"

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
                  Just seen another one:

"And introducing Vanessa Redgrave" in Behind the Mask (1958).
                  And here she is with a regal title card all of her own:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mask 1.png
Views:	1
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	2482

And it does seem this was her screen debut.

Comment

Tommy Steele in Kill Me Tomorrow seems legitimate enough, as I believe that was his first film appearance,. But Michael Caine had been a supporting actor in British films for years before he made Zulu. Wasn't he in A Hill in Korea as far back as 1956?

Comment

Are my images showing up again? I had to re-upload them to Photobucket when I noticed they disappeared.

Originally posted by Tyne View Post
                      I don't mind whether it's on film or not.
                      Surely I'm right about the 'Introducing' credit only being used for film appearances? Including filmedseries. It was the opposite with Patrick McGoohan, as the star of Danger Man, but I know I've seen other actors who've had their own series being tewarded this attribute on the big screen. Possibly someone from Peyton Place (Mia Farrow, Barbara Parkins, Ryan O'Neal)?

Comment

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
                        Are my images showing up again? I had to re-upload them to Photobucket when I noticed they disappeared.
                        If you put photos on somewhere like Photobucket and then put a link to Photobucket in a comment here. Then you can never delete it on Photobucket or it will no longer be visible in your comment in here.

Always think about where the image is stored. You must ensure that the image is available.

Steve

Comment

I've uploaded 9,426 photos there in the last eight years so ought to know what I'm doing. If Gerald has given up, as well as Rick, then the problem must be with Photobucket. I recall Will saying, ages ago, that it's become more complicated to use and yet I've managed to get by. This has never happened before.

Back on topic, this webpage has some more examples (including Robert Redford in War Hunt,
                          Shirley MacLaine in The Trouble with Harry and Christopher Walken in The Anderson Tapes):

Nine Major Movie Stars Who Were Once “Introduced” | Cassava Films

Comment

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
                            I've uploaded 9,426 photos there in the last eight years so ought to know what I'm doing. If Gerald has given up, as well as Rick, then the problem must be with Photobucket. I recall Will saying, ages ago, that it's become more complicated to use and yet I've managed to get by. This has never happened before.
                            So how come your post of 2nd April 2017, 01:51 AM now has images which say "Photo not found"?

Are they still on Photobucket?

Steve

Comment

At the moment, I can see all the screencaps I re-uploaded yesterday (posts 2 and 5), both here and at Photobucket. If they mysteriously disappear again then I shall have to think of another way of posting images. Reluctantly, as I've always depended on Photobucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X