Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

and introducing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See thread titled "problems with uploading pictures", which I will be opening in a minute or two.

Comment

Filling out The Sandwich Man (1966) credits:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandwich 1.png
Views:	1
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	2798

A hat-trick for all three inasmuch as this was not the first film for any of them.

Comment

Great stuff.

It is intriguing to wonder what criteria the filmmakers considered when using the phrase. Perhaps they thought people might have forgotten seeing the actor before.

It's also intriguing when the phrase is used about someone one never hears of again. Presumably their 'debut' was unsuccessful.

Comment

Name:	Billy 1.png
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	2970

as Billy Budd (1962); this may not have been Terence's first film either, though according to that fountain of all knowledge Wikipedia: His performance in the title role of Billy Budd, his film debut, earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor and a BAFTA nomination for Best Newcomer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyne View Post
            It is intriguing to wonder what criteria the filmmakers considered when using the phrase.
            Maybe it refers to an actor's first supporting, or "featured", role on film? Michael Caine had an important part in Blind Spot, however - some years before Zulu. Which makes me wonder if And Introducing is reserved for bigger film and TV productions.

Further research has yielded three more credits I happen to have on DVD.

Fran Jeffries in The Pink Panther (1963):

And what an introduction:

Fran Jeffries - Meglio Stasera

R.I.P. lovely Fran (died last December)

The much-disliked Rentadick (1972) "introduced" Richard Beckinsale:

Was his lost series Elephant's Eggs in a Rhubarb Tree any better? I may never know.

It's also intriguing when the phrase is used about someone one never hears of again.
            Carita, for instance! Finnish star of The Viking Queen (1967):

Did Falconetti get an "Introducing" credit in her only film (the rather more distinguished The Passion of Joan of Arc)?

Comment

It is a very small image but it does say ......introducing Colin Campbell.

Comment

• zither
                zither commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting film which I'd like to see again. I wonder what Colin Campbell is doing now?

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
              Does "Introducing" apply to actors' first starring role on film?

Evidently not. The videotaped Armchair Theatre play Lena, O My Lena (1960) has this credit for Scott Forbes:

Left to right - Keith Smith, Colin Blakely and Peter McEnery.

My own introduction to Scott, a writer as well as actor, was in
              the brilliant Thriller episode Someone at the Top of the Stairs.

Last edited by cornershop15; 17th April 2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Maybe both actresses thought you must be joking with this in the main titles of You Must be Joking! (1965):

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-04-23-11h12m26s243.png
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	3536

Both had appeared in numerous productions before, though in the tragic Patricia's case, this may have been her first English-language film.

Comment

Adding more mix-up in Mix Me a Person (1962):

Name:	mix 1.png
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	5196

Although they do have substantial roles in the film, in Topsy Jane's case quite a controversial one for its day, both had been in numerous productions before this, particularly Walter whose CV goes back several years.

Comment

EASTENDERS may have nicked their title sequence from the aerial background film sequence used on No Trees in the Street (1958):

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-05-20-10h53m22s934.png
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	5326

Melvyn does get a very meaty part, probably his most prominent up until then, but of course he already had been in many productions; I remember him particularly as the young Peter Cushing in The Curse of Frankenstein (1957). David Hemmings had done far less by 1958/59

Comment

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-05-29-12h34m57s413.png
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	5844

A fair enough "and introducing" for Lost (1956) inasmuch as Julia does get her biggest role to date in it.

Comment

Name:	Joe 1.png
Size:	538.5 KB
ID:	6138

For once, it looks like this one, The Woman for Joe (1955), really was introducing Jimmy.

Comment

Not sure if this caused The Happiness of One Man:

Click image for larger version  Name:	three 2.png Views:	1 Size:	477.0 KB ID:	6789

His first film seems to have been about 11 years before The Happiness of Three Women in 1954, but given he's the male lead in this, wrote the original play and co-wrote the screenplay, maybe a simple "and" credit wasn't enough for Eynon.

And the film has another one:

Name:	three 3.png
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	6790
                          Last edited by Gerald Lovell; 18th June 2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I love all these. So interesting to look up these lesser known people and see if their 'debuts' launched a career. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

By the way, I rue capitalising 'Introducing' in the thread title - almost always it's a small 'i' - but it's too late to edit. Unless a kindly mod might assist?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyne View Post
                              By the way, I rue capitalising 'Introducing' in the thread title - almost always it's a small 'i' - but it's too late to edit. Unless a kindly mod might assist?
                              Done

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X