Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Douglas Barr (British actor?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas Barr (British actor?)

Hi, I have an interest in obscure film personalities (as well as famous ones). I am trying to find out information on actor Douglas Barr
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0056491/

I don't mean the American actor known for 'The Fall Guy'. This one appeared in a few films of the late 1940s and early 1950s. The imdb says nothing much of him. Does anyone know whether he is still alive? He would be around 85 if so. Would love to find out something about him, anything in fact. A picture would be great as I have absolutely no idea what he looks/looked like. Thank you in anticipation.

This is Douglas Barr as William Murray in Madeleine (1950):

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-04-18-21h58m39s886.png
Views:	1
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	3324

Comment

Thank you so much first time I have ever seen what he looks like...I've watched the film too. Must have missed him. I will re-watch it this evening. Hope someone here knows something about him. Would love to know whether he is still with us.

Comment

Can't find very much I'm afraid!

He was born as Douglas Neil Barr at Glasgow in 1930, apparently on 11th October. His parents were Matthew Campbell Barr (1899-1957) and Annie Claire Gollogly (born 1898). They had married in 1921. I can't find out anything about his father except the marriage record appears to suggest that he worked at a foundry in some capacity. Douglas's mother - under the name of Anne C. Barr - became an actress and theatrical producer in Glasgow from the 1930s to the early 1950s. By the late 1950s Anne was living in London but I don't yet know when she died. Douglas had a sister called Margaret, born 1921, who died in 2007.

As to Douglas himself - I don't know what he did after his screen career ended or whether he ever married. Civic records show him as living in Northampton in recent years and it seems that he died there in 2015.

E.

Comment

The BMD pages record a Douglas N. Barr marrying in Paddington, London in September 1955..

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
            The BMD pages record a Douglas N. Barr marrying in Paddington, London in September 1955..
            Yes, it may be him but I don't think we know for sure. The lady in question was called Nellie Jacobs and she had been previously married in 1943, meaning she would be some years older than Douglas, although of course that doesn't rule him out as her second husband. I've been unable to trace Nellie so far.

There was also a Douglas Neil Barr who married in Scotland in 1969 but I don't think that is our Douglas.

E.

Comment

Ah well, it turns out that it was our Douglas in the 1955 marriage record after all. His wife Nellie/Nelly Barr died on 25th August 2010 aged 88 in Northampton. You can see them together on the electoral roll prior to this. She appears to have been born in London in 1922. I think that she and Douglas had at least one child.

E.

Comment

Thank you Euryale, It is very kind of you to find all that information for me sad that he is no longer with us. I sort of had a feeling deep down that he may not be. Thanks again.

Comment

I wonder if someone would now update his imdb page with his birth and death details?

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
                    I wonder if someone would now update his imdb page with his birth and death details?
                    I've submitted the new data, Milton, but it may take a few days to appear.

E.

Comment

Originally posted by Euryale View Post

I've submitted the new data, Milton, but it may take a few days to appear.

E.
                      Thank you

Comment

Further to Eury's earlier research, I can add.

The National Insurance database gives Douglas a birth date of 10th November 1930.
                        His wife Nelly (ne Jacobs) was born in Paddington, London on July 4th 1922 and died at Kingsthorpe, Northampton on 25th August 2010.
                        Douglas and Nelly were married on August 19th 1955 at Paddington.
                        Douglas did sadly pass away in 2015, on January 31st.
                        The last address for Douglas had been at Greenhill Court, Ryehill Close, Long Buckby in Northamptonshire since 2010, he had also lived in the early 2000's in Hampstead, London NW3.
                        Nelly spent the last five years of her life in a Nursing Home in Northampton.
                        I also found reference to a Helena Barr (b 1954), possibly their Daughter.

Comment

Thank you Tigon Man for the further information I am glad I joined this forum. People go the extra mile to find information and it is much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                          X