Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Ursula McMinn/Jeans/Livesey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ursula McMinn/Jeans/Livesey

I have a query about this interesting actress. I admit I didn't think her all that interesting until last week because I’d only seen her playing in in those 1950s patriotic films where she plays the earnest steadfast wife and mother.

But last week I saw in the 1947 The Woman in the Hall (which believe is just one of two where she gets top billing). She gives a wonderfully nuanced performance as the amoral Lorna Blake, a woman who uses her daughters as bait in her profession as a middle-class beggar.

I have seen where both she and her brother abandoned the surname ‘McMinn’ for ‘Jeans’ and how they both married into the Livesey family and how they’re both siblings to the equally prominent actress Isabel Jeans. But I can’t see anywhere that Isabel Jeans was previously ‘Isabel McMinn’.

The birth name of Isabel Jeans was Isabel Esther Jeans. I don't know that she was actually related to Desmond and Ursula Jeans or why they adopted that as their surname. Hopefully we can find more info.

E.

Comment

According to geni.com Isabel was their half sister.

https://www.geni.com/people/Isabel-J...00014584348974

Comment

So it's a mystery as to where the 'Jeans' name was adopted for any of them

It seems a particularly strange name to adopt for Ursula given that her middle name was (apparently) Jean so that she became Ursula Jean Jeans

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Tyne View Post
          According to geni.com Isabel was their half sister.

https://www.geni.com/people/Isabel-J...00014584348974
          That is incorrect I'm afraid - Isabel's father was Frederick George Jeans. There can be no doubt about it - he's there on her baptism record, the census, everything.

E.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
            So it's a mystery as to where the 'Jeans' name was adopted for any of them

It seems a particularly strange name to adopt for Ursula given that her middle name was (apparently) Jean so that she became Ursula Jean Jeans

Steve
            I'm picking up a story from an Australian newspaper that Desmond simply adopted his sister Ursula's stage name of Jeans. I'm guessing she chose it by adapting her middle name which as you say was Jean.

E.

Comment

Just to add:

Isabel was the daughter of Frederick George Jeans and Esther Matlock. Desmond and Ursula were the children of Charles Henry McMinn and Margaret Ethel Fisher. I don't think the two families were even related.

E.

Comment

I don’t know why the young Ursula McMinn took on the surname of Isabel Jeans but they must have known each other. They both appeared on stage and film in plays by Ivor Novello and Noël Coward in the 1920s.

And Ursula married the man (named Robin Irvine) who starred opposite Isabel in Alfred Hitchcock's version of Noël Coward's Easy Virtue in 1928.
                Last edited by jamal.nazreddin; 28th April 2017, 03:06 AM. Reason: Edit: (I don't know why the text size is bigger)

Comment

Working...
                X