Welcome to the forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
See more
See less

Vida Hope

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vida Hope

Can anyone unearth an accident report or clipping regarding the death of actress Vida Hope? She died 2 days before Christmas in 1963 aged 53. All I know is that she 'died in a road accident'. Was she driving? A Passenger? Was she a pedestrian? Any further information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I'd like to know this as well.

A little bit of information from the Kansas City Times December 24th 1963:

'KILLED Vida Hope Staged London and Broadway Hit London (Tuesday) (AP) — Vida Hope, actress-director, who staged a London and Broadway hit, “The Boy Friend,” was killed in an automobile crash last night. She was 45. A wrecking crane was needed to separate her car from a truck after the crash at Chelmsford'

That age of 45 is incorrect. She was born in 1910 so she was 53 when she was killed in 1963.
        Two days before Xmas I wonder if the accident was drink related?

I always wondered why she never married until 1955, when she was getting on at 45.

Maybe the Library in the City of Chelmsford, Essex, could help.

Vida's death was more than likely reported in the (then) town's newspaper, the Chelmsford Star.

Here are my notes from what I found in the microfilm records of the Essex Chronicle at the Essex Records Office, Wharf Road, Chelmsford:

Vida Hope died age 53 on Monday 23 December 1963 driving her red Triumph Herald estate car in a head-on collision with a lorry belonging to W. Davey and Co Ltd and driven by Ronald Green of Bastable Avenue, Barking. The accident occurred on Westway close to the Widford roundabout (where Britvics and Marconi Marine use to be). She was on her way to her cottage in Nounsley. She and her husband Derek Twist owned that and a house in Frognal Gardens, Hampstead.

She had been working with a Mrs Pauline Spender to put on a 3 month season of plays at the Civic Theatre, Chelmsford with actor Charles Vance.

Thanks for that information much appreciated.