No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to ... (continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey you've got a list of names there RHYSTP!
    I looked into Anthony Dawes a few months back. My research indicted that he is still with us and living in West London, but aged 90 is probably long retired.
    Babar Bhatti I think left the industry at the request of his family. I think he was running a restaurant?

Comment

• rhystp
      rhystp commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info.

As was said recently, this is what Brit movie is for, what I love about it and well worth being a member. I mean remembering people from years ago. Hope some of them realise they aren’t forgotten.

Comment

David Neville became a barrister. I can’t remember where I read that. Perhaps in one of my Fawlty Towers books. I will check tomorrow. Tony Page definitely became a chef. I remember this because in around 2000-2001 the Daily Mirror interviewed some of the guest actors. Bruce Boa and a very old Gilly Flower were also interviewed. I wish I had kept the article. Tony Page was pictured as he was in present day in chef whites.
      Last edited by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan); 13th June 2018, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• rhystp
        rhystp commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers for this!

Denyse Alexander is still with us, The Widow of director Jack Gold, she lives in North London and turns 87 on the 28th of this month.

Comment

I have yet more sad news Euryale and Tigon Man. The Stage (your usual source of information I think) can't have reported this yet but in the last few days it has been "confirmed" that the lovely Luan Peters died last December. Shocking that it's taken this long for the news to be finally made public. Please check the Facebook page of fellow actress Judy Matheson, who appeared in three horror films with her.

As it happens, I'm about halfway through Series 3 of Dear Mother, Love Albert in which she has the recurring role of Rodney Bewes' flatmate. And he died two or three weeks before, in late November. They're happily reunited in Heaven, I hope. As I'm not very good at starting obituary threads I will leave it to you.

R.I.P. Luan. Fond memories of her in Public Eye (playing the daughter of Patricia Cutts and Warren Stanhope) and Fawlty Towers, as the Australian hotel guest Basil Fawlty unintentionally fondles. Also worth mentioning she stood in for Tina Charles as lead singer of 5000 Vaults when they performed I'm on Fire on Top of the Pops.
        Last edited by cornershop15; 15th June 2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Euryale View Post
          Well, I failed dismally to find Lisa Thomas on the old forum Cornershop but this time have managed it!

Lisa from the old forum

In 1968 she married the show biz agent Richard Finlay Hatton (1924-2007). He had many famous clients - Sean Connery, Joan Sims - among others. Lisa was with him till his death in London and I presume she still lives there. They had at least one child, a daughter Josephine, born 1979.

I don't know where Lisa was born. Her birth name was Elizabeth Rhona Thomas. The Daily Mirror in 1965 said that she was born on 18th October. Her father Henry Thomas appears to have been in the diplomatic service or similar. In the shipping records we see his wife Rhona travelling back and forth to various countries with Lisa and her two other daughters. In fact Lisa's two sisters appear to have both been born in Japan. Therefore it it quite probable that Lisa was born abroad, possibly South Africa. The shipping records suggest that she was born around 1940/1941.

E.

I've recently had some correspondence with Lisa and sent her the photo from Here we go round the Mulberry Bush to sign which she had never seen before and to quote she had forgotten how much make up they had pasted over her face her she also said her first tv role was in the saint

Comment

That's great news George I wish someone would do a screening of Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush and invite the surviving cast members for a Q&A.....

Comment

Max Mason

There was a query on the old forum in 2011 about what had become of Max. He was an actor and also presented one or two school programmes.

I recently found out that he died on 12th February 2015 (from probate records). His full name was Cecil Maximillian Mason and he was born in Preston, Lancs. in 1940. I came across a newspaper article that said he was the brother of songwriter Barry Mason so from there I was able to trace Max's history.

I think this is your picture of Max from the old forum, Cornershop. I've put Max's details into the imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0556860/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

E.

Comment

Gwyneth Vaughan

I can't find the original post but some time back someone asked what became of the actress Gwyneth Vaughan. She had appeared in a number of films in the 1940s such as The Blue Scar. Another member linked to a probate record for a Gwynneth Vaughan who died in 2016, but no further context was given. Well, it turns out that wasn't the actress at all.

The BFI website says specifically that Gwyneth was born in Hadleigh, Essex in 1924 and that her real name was Gwyneth Jones. And they are absolutely right. The birth of Gwyneth M. Jones was recorded in the second quarter of 1924 at Rochford registration district, Essex which covers the town of Hadleigh. Her parents were Isaac George Jones (born in Llanelli) and Florence Emily Jones (nee Barnes, born in London)*, both schoolteachers.

Gwyneth married Hugh Ashmore in 1944. Hugh won the Military Cross at the Battle of Arnhem during the War. He died in 2017 and his obituary in The Times states that his wife was "Gwyneth May Jones, who worked under the stage name of Gwyneth Vaughan". She and Hugh had two children.

Although not credited at imdb, Hugh appeared in the film Theirs Is The Glory (1946) which is about the Battle of Arnhem.

Gwyneth's death record states that she died on 23rd August 2009 in Exeter, Devon. It gives her birth year as 1924 and shipping records provided the exact date of 4th June. I've entered her details into imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0891045/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Thanks to Weary for use of Gwyneth's image.

E.

*Florence's will provided another clue in the search for Gwyneth as it names the executor as Gwyneth May Ashmore.

Comment

Re: Max Mason

Sad news, Euryale. He was memorably creepy in that Thriller episode with Carroll Baker. I do vaguely remember Max as a presenter and am so grateful to YouTube poster Lammes Science for uploading complete episodes of his educational series Starting Science. Look forward to watching all of those in his memory.

Brother of Barry Mason - wow! I've only ever associated the composer with Les Reed. One of the many great hit-making partnerships of the 1960s, notably for Engelbert Humperdinck. This has to be the definitive list of his best songs, with and without Les. So many favourites (Everybody Knows, Here It Comes Again, Love Grows, Les Bicyclettes de Belsize ...):

That is, indeed, my capture of Max Mason. His features are similar to those of another Lancastrian who appears to have left our screens long ago. Her first name was Beatrice. I thought it was Campbell but I've obviously confused her with the late actress. Can you help? All I can tell you is that she had curly hair, little or no make-up and was fairly opinionated about something (Politics? The Arts?). May have been a presenter as well as a studio guest/panellist and a contemporary of another sadly-missed Lancastrian, Pattie Caldwell.

Comment

Hello Cornershop - I think you may be thinking of this lady who still crops up on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 from time to time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Campbell

I think Max Mason has a son who's a music/record producer.

E.

Comment

Beatrix Campbell, already! I was so nearly there. Thank you. Turns out she's from Carlisle not Lancashire, although she did write a book about Wigan (Pier) ... which is where Barry Mason was born.Probably more suited to radio, actually. Do you agree she looks a bit like Max? Another ex-TV regular whose name I've just had to be reminded of is Austin ... Mitchell. who used to present Don't Ask Me with Dr. Magnus Pyke and was a Labour MP. Not seen much of him since the 1990s either.

It's amazing how people who so often appeared on our screens (thinking particularly of news reporters and experts on various subjects) just completely slip your mind once they've moved on to something else. Sky News' Joey Jones is a recent example and there were a number of presenters on ITV's London Tonight like Ben Scotchbrook and actor-turned-weatherman Robin Lermitte/McCallum who never came back. You think they'll be there forever and suddenly they're gone - without even dying.

I couldn't find the original Gwyneth Vaughan posts either. R.I.P. , nonetheless

Comment

Anyone have any recent info on John Hallett please

Comment

Cornershop,

In post #39 you mentioned an actor who you said was a bit like Jonathan Cecil. You never did say who it was.....can you remember?

E.

Comment

Originally posted by Euryale View Post
                            In post #39 you mentioned an actor who you said was a bit like Jonathan Cecil. You never did say who it was.....can you remember?
                            Erm ...?
                            Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
                            He was a bit like Jonathan Cecil and in his brief screen career acted with Hugh Burden and Donna Mills.

Oh yes! I was thinking of Francis Wallis (deduced from those co-stars), seen here in The Owl Service (1969):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Francis Wallis 2.jpg
Views:	1696
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	68013

This actor had a very brief screen career and a curiously inconsistent personality. He played his part of the troubled teenager in the cult series very well, often giving sinister looks like that above. There was one moment, however, and in the same scene, where he suddenly imitates a more manic version of the 'silly ass'-type of character Jonathan played before acting normally again. A couple of years later, Francis appeared in an episode of The Mind of Mr. J.G. Reeder (Hugh Burden). Just the one short scene actually re-enacting that same 'silly ass' impression..

He later had a supporting role in the classic Thriller episode Someone at the Top of the Stairs, as Donna Mills' boyfriend (a rather bland character this time), and apparently gave up acting shortly afterwards. Gillian Hills said this in the booklet that comes with The Owl Service DVD. He was very serious about his craft, she said, so it seems odd that his career didn't progress. In fact, all three of the young stars left our screens by the mid-1970s. Tragically, Michael Holden was later killed in a pub brawl.

But what happened to Francis after 1974? Interesting actor - and subject, hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                            X