Whatever happened to ... (continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheila Fearn

Just a quick update on Sheila. She married the American businessman Herbert L. Oakes in 1977. I just found out that he died in Florida in June this year. His obituary says that "he is survived by his wife, Sheila Fearn Oakes, who resides in Oxfordshire, England".

So Sheila is definitely still around and hopefully in good health.

Thanks to Weary/Cornershop for the image.

E.

Comment

Originally posted by Euryale View Post
      In the early hours of Christmas morning, 1964, a young journalist and his brother were visiting a friend who lived in a flat on Regent's Park Road, Camden. They heard a commotion outside and looking out saw a man being attacked by youths. The journalist rushed over to try and intervene but ultimately received a fatal stab wound. His brother and friend had also gone down to help, both receiving injuries in the affray. The friend was later awarded the George Medal and Binney Medal for his courage.

The journalist's name was Mike Munnelly, and he had been employed by the Sunday People newspaper. His brother mentioned above was Jimmy Munnelly, known as an actor under the stage name of James Kerry. The friend they had been visting was Donald Smith, described in press reports of the incident as an actor and writer. But something in one of these reports made me want to find out more about this Donald Smith.

From the old London electoral roll I saw that Donald's wife was called Sally. I was able to find the appropriate marriage record and so sent for the certificate. This tells us that Donald Smith married Sally Patricia Pritchard on 27th April 1959 at Stratford-upon-Avon. Donald's father is named as Harry Smith and one of the witnesses at the wedding ceremony was Alice Smith, who I assumed to be Donald's mother. Sally was born in 1933 at Birmingham. Curiously, she had a few years earlier been engaged to another young man, who later became a well-known actor.

The marriage certificate says that Donald Smith is by profession an actor. Various Shakespearean productions at Stratford in 1959 have a Don/Donald Smith in their cast lists. The certificate also states that Donald was 26 years old, so he must have been born in April 1933 or in the 12 months preceding that. So I had to find a Harry/Henry Smith who had married an Alice and who had a son called Donald born in 1932/1933. Eventually I did find a match. Henry Smith had married Alice Parkinson in early 1932 at Chorley, Lancashire and their son Donald was born there later that year.

But I then found a death record for this Donald Smith. He had died at Chorley in 1982, his birth date is given as 18th August 1932. So I sent for the death certicate. This gives date of death as 7th April 1982 and confirms the aforementioned date of birth. Donald's profession is once again stated to be an actor.

But of course I have missed something out of this story. The something that I noticed in the first newspaper report I came across regarding Mike Munnelly's death. The report was in an Irish newspaper, the Sligo Champion, and here Mike's friend is referred to both as Donald Webster Smith...and Donald Webster. The British press reports name him variously as Donald Smith and Donald Webster Smith.

So obviously my question was: did Donald Smith take the stage name of Webster and go on to appear in Straw Dogs and many other things? We know that Donald Webster was also a writer in early 1960s London, penning scripts for Kenneth Horne and Marty Feldman. It seems a strong chance that they were the same person. I've never been able to find out anything about Donald Webster apart from his professional career. But he appeared on the theatrical scene around 1960 just as Donald Smith was making his last appearances in cast lists!

I don't know what became of Sally. But she and Donald Smith had a daughter born in the early 1960s. She in turn had a son. He is on Facebook and to my eyes he certainly bears a resemblance to the actor we know as Donald Webster.

Wadsy I think originally brought up Donald Webster on the old forum and I've been looking for him on and off ever since! Maybe we have found the start of the story. Hopefully more info. will turn up.

An account about Donald Smith's medals is given here:

http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive...1&lot_id=88851

E.
      This is so intriguing Euryale. Please keep us informed if you uncover anything else.
      Is my memory correct in that when I first brought the question up on the old forum, that at one stage Donald Webster tried his luck in America?

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
        Watching an episode of the Professionals last evening, I came across Barry Angel.
        Manchester born Barry (09/02/1962) was a useful juvenile lead of the late seventies/early eighties, including the excellent kids series Codename Icarus (1981).
        Nothing though after 1985. He seems to be living now in the actors enclave of Kingston on Thames. I wonder what career Barry pursued in adulthood? Is he still involved in the acting profession in some capacity?
        I'm a bit late to this, but Barry's now in Human Resources. I know someone who used to work at the same company that Barry used to work for, although it wasn't until after both of them left for pastures new that I discovered this.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke 1972 View Post
          Another actor I have often wondered about is Charmian Eyre. Best known for her role in Crossroads, she had an extensive stage career prior to that. But nothing since leaving the soap in the early eighties. A Brummy girl born and bred, according to Spotlight 1986, her agent was also based in Birmingham so I wonder if she only worked locally.

Charmian was born as Charmian Abrahams in Birmingham in early 1927 (possibly late 1926), the daughter of a doctor and a nurse.

Her theatrical career spanned 50 years until her retirement in the mid-1990s. In the 1950s she toured with stage companies around Northern Europe and Australia/New Zealand.

Charmian resided in London for some years before returning to live in Birmingham. She would now be about 92. As far as I am aware she is still alive. As a child she attended Edgbaston High School for Girls and was mentioned in their alumni magazine last year.

E.

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

This is so intriguing Euryale. Please keep us informed if you uncover anything else.
            Is my memory correct in that when I first brought the question up on the old forum, that at one stage Donald Webster tried his luck in America?
            I'll certainly keep looking, Wadsy, as I'd like to square the circle on this one!

I'm hoping the answer might lie in the archives of regional newspapers some of which are being steadily added to one of my ancestry websites. They have often been more useful in finding background about various actors than national newspapers.

Whether Donald ever made it to America I don't know.

I didn't originally name the actor who Sally, Donald Smith's wife, had previosly been engaged to. I was a bit reluctant as he still alive but after all these years, well.......in fact it was Edward de Souza.

E.

Comment

Charmian was born as Charmian Abrahams in Birmingham in early 1927 (possibly late 1926), the daughter of a doctor and a nurse.

Her theatrical career spanned 50 years until her retirement in the mid-1990s. In the 1950s she toured with stage companies around Northern Europe and Australia/New Zealand.

Charmian resided in London for some years before returning to live in Birmingham. She would now be about 92. As far as I am aware she is still alive. As a child she attended Edgbaston High School for Girls and was mentioned in their alumni magazine last year.

E.
              Born Charmian Blanche Abrahams on February 22nd 1927, she is still alive and resides in Harborne, Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post

Born Charmian Blanche Abrahams on February 22nd 1927, she is still alive and resides in Harborne, Birmingham.
                Thanks again, Tigon. Charmian had a long career and must have had an interesting life meeting many well-known personalities. Pity she never wrote her memoirs - at least I don't think she has. But her mother lived to be 100, so if Charmian has the same longevity then she still has time to do it!

E.

Comment

E.
                  Thanks Euryale for this information. And you too Tigon Man. It's nice to know that despite being away from our screens for over thirty years, she is still fondly remembered by some of us.

And allegedly her portrayal of Mavis Hooper in Crossroads was partly the inspiration for the character of Mrs Overall played by Julie Walters in Acorn Antiques !

Comment

On the old forum, we had queries about what became of the actors David Robinson and Judy Robinson. It wasn't until I read an old newspaper article recently that I found out they were in fact brother and sister.

Judy was born in Hornsea, East Yorkshire as Judith C. Robinson. Her birth was registered in early 1943. In the 1950s her family moved to London and she attended drama school, probably The Aida Foster Theatre School. Judy appeared in several tv shows such as Orlando (1966) and films inc. House of Whipcord (1974).

Judy in the Daily Mirror, 11th Feb. 1967

Her acting career appears to have ended in the 1970s, and I lose track of her after that. It is just possible that she is the Judith Robinson who married John L. Fisher at Kensington in 1982 and was living in Hove, East Sussex in the early 2000s. We do know that Judy's father died in 1985 in Kensington, presumably where the family home was. Her mother died at Brighton in 1999. Had she moved there to be near her daughter? But Judy's marriage and current whereabouts are mere speculation on my part and hopefully more information will come to light.

David was born as David Alexander Robinson at Beverley, Yorkshire on 11th October 1947. He attended The Aida Foster Theatre School. David acted on stage and television as well as films, in particular H.M.S. Defiant (1962). One of his last screen appearances was as a cub reporter in tv series Gazette (1968).

David in Gazette

David was killed on 24th July, 1971 near Cranbrook in Kent when his car overturned on a bend. He was twenty three years old.

E.

Comment

I'm wondering about actress Lil Roughley.

According to IMDB, she hasn't appeared on TV since 2006, I recall her appearances on Victoria Wood and Corrie, I'd like to think she's still doing Theatre or something, somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
                        I'm wondering about actress Lil Roughley.

According to IMDB, she hasn't appeared on TV since 2006, I recall her appearances on Victoria Wood and Corrie, I'd like to think she's still doing Theatre or something, somewhere.
                        https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hut-33-Comp.../dp/B077ZG2LGR

Comment

• Mark O
                          Mark O commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you for the link, narabdela, I wasn't aware of this.

Be interested to know what happened to Mike Lewin?Very busy career up until 1989 but then just fell of the radar would only have been early 50s at the time

Comment

Clare Sutcliffe

Clare in Country Matters episode The Sullens Sisters

Clare was asked about on the old forum long ago but I could never find anything about her - until now.

Equity magazine for spring 2019 reports Clare's death in their 'in memoriam' column. This website tells us something of her history after her acting career closed:

http://www.studiopottery.co.uk/profi...fe_(1943-2018)

Clare took up pottery-making and had a studio at Horsham, West Sussex. It says that she was born in 1943 and died just before Xmas, 2018. There is a probate record for a Clare Sutcliffe with date of death given as 24th Dec. 2018, but I don't know if that is 'our' Clare.

Clare remained resident at Horsham in recent years. I still don't know where she was born or if 'Clare Sutcliffe' was her original name. I can see no-one called that in the birth records for 1943.

E.

Comment

I'm still trying to find out what became of Rosalind Elliot who appeared in numerous TV shows during the 60s/70s/80s as well as the occasional film.
                            Fondly remembered by me as The Fenn Street Gang's gormless Celeste (catchphrase "I dunno....").

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
                              I'm still trying to find out what became of Rosalind Elliot who appeared in numerous TV shows during the 60s/70s/80s as well as the occasional film.
                              Fondly remembered by me as The Fenn Street Gang's gormless Celeste (catchphrase "I dunno....").
                              Wrote to her and got a reply C/O Equity that was about 5 years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X