• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Caine - a top 50

From the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...t-films-ranked

Nick

The usual. The right films in the wrong order.......(imho of course)

Comment

Overall, not a vast amount to argue with. I have to admit to have missed some of his later stuff, when he is doing not a vast amount more than a cameo. Probably switch around Ipcress and Get Carter above Hannah and Her Sisters, but overall a very solid top 10. And glad to see Muppet Christmas Carol at 10 - quite right too!

Since the Man Who Would be King was judged first, what about a similar list for Connery?

Comment

Not on the list, but Without A Clue always makes me laugh.

Comment

• Bonekicker
          Bonekicker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes - I had forgotten about that, and certainly should have been swapped for The Swarm ('the bees were our friends..').
          Of course, there is the ten worst. Jaws the Revenge and The Island would be strong entries for that.

Harry Brown at only 38! I would have expected higher.
        Also surprised to see no top 50 for the Whistle Blower (1986).

Comment

No room for The Wilby Conspiracy from 1975 which I would put above a third of the list

Comment

The only one of the list I have never heard of is The Statement (2003) but it is an intriguing subject with an excellent cast, including Tilda Swinton, Alan Bates and John Neville. I am off to check it out now.

Comment

• Bonekicker
              Bonekicker commented
              Editing a comment
              There are a number from the last 20 years I hadnt heard of. Its perhaps one of the things about turning gradually into a major character actor - you end up in a fair number of films where your name isnt the marque one. And with so many films being released and only so much time to watch, they thend to get lost in the shuffle.

We watched a film on blu ray the other day, and a trailer for 'Dear Dictator' came on - never heard of it either, but its another film with Caine in it, and in the lead role.

• Paxton Milk
              Paxton Milk commented
              Editing a comment
              ‘Dear Dictator’ is one of the worst films I’ve seen in the last 20 years! I watch a lot of new movies, probably 4-5 a week, so I get to see a good slice of the mainstream. Caine’s predilection for taking the money and mugging it means that these seemingly obscure movies are obscure for a very good reason,

Not on the list is The Black Windmill which is one of my favs.

No Blame it on Rio either (but that figures )

Comment

No mention of Gambit and The Romantic Englishwoman either. Both in my Top 10 Michael Caine films. I also love The Wrong Box, the 1960s Harry Palmer trilogy, and of course Alfie, Get Carter and The Italian Job.

Comment

Just watched Bewitched (2005), it would definitely feature in Caine’s 50 Worst Movies (despite tough competition)

Comment

I'm amazed The Swarm scraped in! Maybe the people who voted for that were being ironic...

Comment

Without a clue, Harry Brown, Zulu and The Battle of Britain are a few of my favs and ones I can watch many times

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                      I'm amazed The Swarm scraped in! Maybe the people who voted for that were being ironic...
                      Or Escape to Victory?

More likely he just hasn’t made 50 decent films.

Comment

Working...
                      X