Close relatives who have acted together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close relatives who have acted together

Back in the early to mid-1960s, young Hayley Mills seemed to be all over the place. I vaguely remember her in Whistle Down The Wind, and for some reason I thought her father John Mills appeared in it too, but I was wrong. However, checking it out, I have discovered that both appeared in The Family Way and The Truth About Spring. I didn't see The Family Way until the 1970s and found it cringeworthy, old-fashioned and prudish. To my knowledge I have never seen The Truth About Spring.

In The Day of the Triffids (2009), Vanessa Redgrave appears as an aged nun who protects the triffids because they are "God's creatures". She is in effect a collaborator. Meanwhile, her daughter Joely Richardson appears as one of those who help to defeat the evil triffids.

IMO, Ms Richardson is every bit as talented an actress as her mother.

See my previous thread, https://www.britmovie.co.uk/forum/ci...nessa-redgrave .

Back in 1985, mother and daughter had appeared together in the rather stilted film Wetherby.

Comment

Both James Fox and Edward Fox appeared in the 1996 TV version of 'Gulliver's Travels'.

Comment

I find it hard to tell those two apart. Both are excellent actors, though.

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post
          I find it hard to tell those two apart. Both are excellent actors, though.
          I thought them quite distinctive when younger, think James in Performance, for example, they seem to have grown more alike as they aged

Comment

Siblings Anna Massey and Daniel Massey appeared together as sister and brother in The Vault of Horror, Daniel and dad, Raymond, also appeared as father and son in The Queen’s Guards.

They seem to have been a somewhat dysfunctional family, Anna reports that she only met her father half a dozen times and, in her autobiography, says she and Daniel couldn’t stand to be in the same room. Daniel was also estranged from his mother, also an actress, he refused to attend her funeral and likened her personality to Myra Hindley!

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post
              Siblings Anna Massey and Daniel Massey appeared together as sister and brother in The Vault of Horror, Daniel and dad, Raymond, also appeared as father and son in The Queen’s Guards.
              Never saw either, but both are on YouTube, so I can watch them later:

I always enjoyed watched Anna Massey. She appeared in some nice films. I once saw a documentary about her in which she said that she felt she had the voice of a very beautiful person but was disappointed at how plain she was in reality. But she was a better actress than many a prettier one, I thought.

Comment

I thought them quite distinctive when younger, think James in Performance, for example, they seem to have grown more alike as they aged
                Edward Fox I mainly remember in The Jackal and in the TV series Edward & Mrs Simpson. He was perfect as Edward VIII.

I'm unsure of what to think about Performance - bit of a curate's egg, I think. In any case, Mick Jagger, with his ridiculously affected accent, always strikes me as a creep, so his presence put me off for a start.

Comment

Never saw either, but both are on YouTube, so I can watch them later:

I always enjoyed watched Anna Massey. She appeared in some nice films. I once saw a documentary about her in which she said that she felt she had the voice of a very beautiful person but was disappointed at how plain she was in reality. But she was a better actress than many a prettier one, I thought.
                  Neither film represents the best of the actors' work. The Vault of Horror segment is a nice idea but very indifferently directed. The Queens Guards is better, but not much.

I like Anna a lot as an actress, I don't think she was plain at all. Not glamorous in comparison with her peers, but definitely attractive. Daniel, I have no time for, very wooden actor,

Comment

Back in the early to mid-1960s, young Hayley Mills seemed to be all over the place. I vaguely remember her in Whistle Down The Wind, and for some reason I thought her father John Mills appeared in it too, but I was wrong. However, checking it out, I have discovered that both appeared in The Family Way and The Truth About Spring. I didn't see The Family Way until the 1970s and found it cringeworthy, old-fashioned and prudish. To my knowledge I have never seen The Truth About Spring.
                    They were together as well in Tiger Bay.

Comment

Kenneth Connor playing the father of his real life son Jeremy in Carry On Nurse.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

They were together as well in Tiger Bay.
                        I only briefly remember the film. There's a moment where little Hayley is near water with her kidnapper, that reminds me of the scene where Frankenstein's monster throws a child into water and drowns her. The latter scene was censored for long enough, though you could infer what had happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
                          Kenneth Connor playing the father of his real life son Jeremy in Carry On Nurse.
                          Apparently the son appeared in a couple more Carry On's but nothing else.

Comment

The great Michael Powell appeared with his son Columba in Peeping Tom (1960).

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                              The great Michael Powell appeared with his son Columba in Peeping Tom (1960).

Steve
                              So Columba appeared as the serial killer as a boy. Michael Powell appeared as his cruel father.
                              Last edited by garth; 20th July 2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X