Anthony Quayle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Quayle

21 hours in Munich has been released on Blue Ray in Germany. Anthony Quayle, British actors is in this film.

Here's the imdb entry: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074085...=tt_cl_sm#cast

The British actors on duty are the aforementioned Anthony Quayle along with Noel Willman (who was born in Derry, Northern Ireland - in fact it's his last film appearance). This is about the massacre of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics. It's nice to see another 1970's obscurity make its way to BluRay. Released as a TV movie in the USA, it played in cinemas in other countries, including the UK, where it was released on the ABC circuit.

Comment

I noticed on occasion that films made for television, televised here and U.S.A. were shown in cinema’s in Britain and Europe. One other film, Madame Sin starring Bette Davis, was televised our television stations, yet, is was shown in Britain and Ireland, and probably cinemas in other euro countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Swenson View Post
        21 hours in Munich has been released on Blue Ray in Germany. Anthony Quayle, British actors is in this film.
        I prefer the Oscar winning One Day in September (1999) directed by Kevin Macdonald

Steve

Comment

I've come to appreciate Anthony Quayle as an excellent actor, and judging from various actors' memoirs, not always liked by his peers, but considered a fine and at times brilliant actor, particularly on stage.

Comment

I recently read a biography of Sterling Hayden. He & Anthony Quayle had dealings during World War 2 operations in Europe & apparently
            Quayle made some questionable decisions!

Comment

Sterling Hayden. Was he not an American actor? I read that when it came to tipping waiters and waitresses, he was extremely very cheap in leaving tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Swenson View Post
                Sterling Hayden. Was he not an American actor? I read that when it came to tipping waiters and waitresses, he was extremely very cheap in leaving tips.
                I don't know about his tipping habits but he was an OSS officer in WW2 & saw action in the Balkans & received the Silver Star!

Comment

• Bonekicker
                  Bonekicker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Quayle tells a story about him and Hayden. Hayden had been a member of the Communist Party before the US entered the war, and had ultimately joined the OSS, which (thanks to Wild Bill Donovan's method of recruitment) had a fair mix of political leanings, where a number of left wingers were pretty idealistic about fighting Fascism.

Quayle was an actor who had transferred from being an aide to the Governor of Gibraltar (interesting but relatively safe) to SOE, and was then infiltrated into Albania. Since it turned out that nither the British or Americans really had any clue how complex and nasty the politics of Albania was, it was a bit of mess. The BRitish, as it turned out, didnt send anyone who even spoke Albanian! And OE and OSS did not get along well - there were clashes at all levels.

So in 1944 Hayden is in command of an OSS small ship (he was an expert sailor), which was sent to pick up Italians who had been operating with partisans and trying to escape from the Germans. Its not entirely clear what happened, because there are two sides to every story and Hayden seemingly combined several incidents into one, plus Quayle might have been biased for his own reasons. Quayle reckoned that Hayden had been afraid to bring the boat in close enough to drop off supplies and that a lot of the Italians could not escape. They were later executed by the Germans.

There is a book http://books.stonebooks.com/reviews/070527/ on OSS operations in Albania which tries to explain the situation and work out what actually happened, but it looks like a mess all round, and I am not sure anyone comes out of it well.

They never worked together, or likely had any further contact. It is slightly odd to think that when you watch the Guns of Naverone, Qualye is sort of doing on film what he did for real. Which must have been rather strange for him as well.

In the Hayden book A man called Kukich describes how Quayle mistook a Partisan trawler for a German destroyer & refused to signal their position.
                Because of this sixty Italian soldiers who could have been picked up & saved were captured by Nazi troops & subsequently executed!
                It must have been a chaotic & confusing period!

Comment

The story I remember about Hayden is that he was forced to give evidence to the House Unamerican Activities Committee about his left-wing contacts and activities and never forgave himself.

Comment

Douglas Wilmer takes a very dim view of him in his autobiography.Empire building in Stratford and offering parts which rarely materialise.

Comment

One of the last great ‘actor-managers.’ I saw him on the stage several times during his tours, but only in the latter days of his career, even so he was a powerful and charismatic actor.

Comment

A friend of mine acted opposite Anthony Quayle on stage and during an intense exchange of dialogue at close quarters, Quayle showered my friend in saliva with his powerfully enunciated delivery. Apparently he was known for this!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
                          A friend of mine acted opposite Anthony Quayle on stage and during an intense exchange of dialogue at close quarters, Quayle showered my friend in saliva with his powerfully enunciated delivery. Apparently he was known for this!
                          I suffered the same fate but with Brian Cox in the 1980s at the Barbican when I happened to be sitting in the front row. I was assured by the gentleman sitting next to me, as we both wiped our glasses, that this sort of thing is a lot more common than you think!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
                            I've come to appreciate Anthony Quayle as an excellent actor, and judging from various actors' memoirs, not always liked by his peers, but considered a fine and at times brilliant actor, particularly on stage.
                            I would agree with Gerald about Quayle's acting skills. I never saw him on stage but I can't think of a bad performance in any of the films I saw him in. I loved him as the Nazi who rumbles Tom Courtenay in Operation Crossbow..

Comment

Working...
                            X