Beryl Reid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beryl Reid

Just wish Beryl had made a lot more movies....
    a lot more TV .... there just does nt seem enough out there...
    I remember the b and w movie with Rita Tushingham
    I remember the St Trinians movie in colour... but not a lot more comes to mind.
    Maybe Beryl did a lot of ... live ....stage work during her career ?

There was The Killing of Sister George. It is a rather meretricious film that was made to shock in its time, though it certainly doesn't shock nowadays. which makes it seem very old-fashioned. Still, Beryl gave an entertaining performance.

Comment

She had a cameo part in The Beiderbecke Tapes or Connection (I forget which) as an aged subversive communist whom Barbara Flynn's character befriends.

The B&W film with Rita Tushingham was A Taste of Honey.

Comment

A Taste of Honey starred Dora Bryan, who was born in Stockport, Lancashire. Beryl Reid was a Brummie. Was she also in that film? I must check.

Comment

Beryl was from Hereford, schooled in Manchester. One of her famous rôles was as Monica from Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
            Beryl was from Hereford, schooled in Manchester. One of her famous rôles was as Monica from Birmingham.
            I stand corrected. So that's where I got the Brummie thing from. Now I'll sit down again.

Comment

Originally posted by martinu View Post
              She had a cameo part in The Beiderbecke Tapes or Connection (I forget which) as an aged subversive communist whom Barbara Flynn's character befriends.
              It was The Beiderbecke Tapes (episodes 1 & 2) where Beryl played Sylvia, “The Oldest Suffragette in Town”, and played it brilliantly of course.

Steve

Comment

OMG... how mixed up am I ..... ? this was supposed to be a thread
                about Dora Bryan of course .... and I got the names mixed up...
                but lets leave this thread about Beryl and Ill start a new thread about Dora !

Beryl .... thankfully .... did a ton of movies and was on TV chat shows quite a bit back in the day
                Last edited by silverstar; 5th October 2019, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by silverstar View Post
                  OMG... how mixed up am I ..... ?
                  Just gotta warn ya,
                  Give you the strap
                  Stand you in the corner
                  Dunce's cap!

Or as Harry Hill would say: "Bad boy, naughty boy - in your bed!"

Comment

Read her biography about a month ago Silverstar.

"Roll out the Beryl" by Kaye Crawford. It's well worth a read if you can find a copy.

Comment

She ran a hotel in Brighton for years and years... surely someone on this forum stayed there for a few nights ?

Comment

Originally posted by silverstar
                        Patsy lived in Brighton too.... think she also ran a hotel... (not too sure )

Have you mixed up Dora Bryan & Beryl Reid again?

Steve

Comment

Blimey now we have Dora, Beryl and Patsy!
                          Dora lived and worked in Clarges Hotel on Marine Parade Brighton, for many years. Two of the Carry On's Convenience and Girls shot scenes there.
                          Beryl Lived at Honeypot Cottage at Wraysbury in Berkshire, which as the name suggests was a curious structure made up of hexagonal rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Have you mixed up Dora Bryan & Beryl Reid again?

Steve
                            OH NO..... I ll have to change my name from silverstar to ...... confused dot com !

Comment

So who is your favourite between Beryl and Dora, silverstar? Click image for larger version

Name:	when youngish.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	78539
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X