Leonard Davey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonard Davey

One for Tigon Man and or Euryale to look into any info on Leonard Davey born C1943 best known from Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School.Hopefully he's still around

I've looked into this George.
    I've checked the BMD and the National Insurance records, but there are rather a lot of Leonard Davey's.
    I looked at records between 1940 and 1945 and came up with about a dozen possibilities. Only two for 1943 if this date is correct, both in the North of England.
    I've not seen Billy Bunter, I know he played an Asian character. Was he Anglo Indian do we know, or simply wore make up?
    I asked this because one of the possibilities lives in an area of Bradford West Yorkshire, that has a large Asian community.
    A bit of a long shot I know?

Comment

Leonard quite often played Asian or Middle Eastern roles on the stage and screen.

There is a Leonard George Davey who died in London on 20th March 2015. A family tree at ancestry.com says that he was born in India on 15th December 1941. We can certainly we see him in the shipping records arriving in the UK from India in 1948, aged about 6.

But I have no real proof that he is the same person as the actor.

E.

Comment

Originally posted by Euryale View Post
        Leonard quite often played Asian or Middle Eastern roles on the stage and screen.

There is a Leonard George Davey who died in London on 20th March 2015. A family tree at ancestry.com says that he was born in India on 15th December 1941. We can certainly we see him in the shipping records arriving in the UK from India in 1948, aged about 6.

But I have no real proof that he is the same person as the actor.

Many thanks for your efforts guys.Sounds like it very much could be the same person.If so very sad that Leonard and Alan Coleshill have both passed away in the last few years]

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
          I've not seen Billy Bunter, I know he played an Asian character. Was he Anglo Indian do we know, or simply wore make up?
          Credited as 'Hurree Singh' on IMDB, but as I was a massive fan of the Frank Richards books back in the 1950s, I prefer his full title 'Hurree Jamset Ram Singh, the Nabob of Bhanipur'.

Comment

Working...
          X