The Best of Sean Connery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best of Sean Connery

One of our great home grown talents and a real old fashioned movie 'star'. What does the forum think are his best films.
    Personally I love his rebelliousness in The Hill (1965) the barely concealed fury of The Offence (1972) and his laconic delivery of a line in the first three Bonds.
    The Frightened City (1961) also warrants a mention.

Robin and Marian for me. And he's also very good in Time Bandits.

Comment

• theuofc
      theuofc commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I loved Sean and Audrey in their mellow years in "Robin and Marian." I'm glad they made that film.

Yes Robin and Marian (1976) as a very knackered Robin..

Comment

Saw his rare 1958 movie Another time, Another Place with Lana Turner last night on TPTV ...filmed in UK in VistaVision and rather good...Sid James was in it as well....Lana Turner an Sid James a great combination !

Comment

• theuofc
        theuofc commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't seen the film (instant expert, right? :-) ), but I'm guessing that Sid's brash and charming humour are great opposite the glamour girl icon Lana.

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
      One of our great home grown talents and a real old fashioned movie 'star'. What does the forum think are his best films.
      Personally I love his rebelliousness in The Hill (1965) the barely concealed fury of The Offence (1972) and his laconic delivery of a line in the first three Bonds.
      I agree with your choices & I would like to add "Marnie" & "Woman of Straw".

Comment

The Man Who Would Be King is up there for me.

Comment

Personally I think that he was pure early James Bond in The Frightened City which is a film that I love.

Comment

Connery has been an actor for a long time, and didnt just do stuff for the paycheque, so there is quite a lot to chose from. There is also some 'meh'.

I would include The Anderson Tapes, The Hill (made as one of the three films Connery was allowed to do, as part of a deal), The Molly Maguires (really downbeat), The First Great Train Robbery (one of my absolute favourite films anyway, and Connery even did much of the train stunts), Robin and Marion (just a lovely film), A Bridge Too Far , The Name of the Rose, Last Crusade, Time Bandits, and of course The Man Who Would be King.

He is still the James Bond for many of us (especially Goldfinger), and although The Untouchables isnt his best role, its one of the most iconic. The Offence is one of those films I keep meaning to see, as well as A Fine Madness, and I have always rather liked Outland,

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
              Shirley Brahms commented
              Editing a comment
              "He is still the James Bond for many of us". Definitely for me - the one and only.

Sean is superb in the Offence.
            It's not an easy film to watch, but his terrifying rage and the scenes of the psychological torture of the suspect child molester, contain some brilliant acting.
            Some fine Brit actors in support as well, Vivien Merchant as the timid wife, Peter Bowles and Ronald Radd as his superiors and Bannen as the accused who threatens to turn the tables on Connery.

Comment

Sean is superb in the Offence.
              It's not an easy film to watch, but his terrifying rage and the scenes of the psychological torture of the suspect child molester, contain some brilliant acting.
              Some fine Brit actors in support as well, Vivien Merchant as the timid wife, Peter Bowles and Ronald Radd as his superiors and Bannen as the accused who threatens to turn the tables on Connery.
              Bannen, a fellow Scot, was also in The Hill,- both films showcase Connery’s acting at its very best.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                Connery has been an actor for a long time, and didnt just do stuff for the paycheque, so there is quite a lot to chose from. There is also some 'meh'.
                I've seen many Sean Connery films going right back to his early roles, and have mostly enjoyed anything he's been in. But I have to say that Darby O'Gill and the Little People is, in my humble opinion, definitely not the high point of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post

I've seen many Sean Connery films going right back to his early roles, and have mostly enjoyed anything he's been in. But I have to say that Darby O'Gill and the Little People is, in my humble opinion, definitely not the high point of his career.
                  Neither was this one! Click image for larger version  Name:	download (4).jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.8 KB ID:	88843

Comment

• agutterfan
                    agutterfan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    But do you mean the costume or the film, wadsy! Personally I quite like Zardoz, but that costume ....

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

Neither was this one! Click image for larger version Name:	download (4).jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.8 KB ID:	88843
                  Oh what a sight!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Oh what a sight!
                    Doesn't do a lot for me Shirl!

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

Neither was this one! Click image for larger version Name:	download (4).jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.8 KB ID:	88843
                      Ah yes, Zardoz. Oddly enough I've not seen this film - however looking at that image doesn't exactly inspire me to watch it.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                        Bonekicker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've seen the second half of it - its memorable, but not perhaps for the right reasons. Its one of those films which seemed 'important' to everyone at the time, but perhaps is more now seen as 'Connery in a nappy'. but perhaps there is something to it, if you can get past that.

• Carl V
                        Carl V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can't quite make my mind up about this one after viewing a couple of trailers on YouTube. I was wondering if it's one of those films that's so bad it's actually quite good, in a funny kind of way. I'd be curious to know what Connery himself thinks of it after all these years.
                    Working...
                    X