The Best of Michael Caine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best of Michael Caine

Ok then, we've looked at Sean, now what about his great mate Michael Caine?
    As David Quinlan notes, whatever qualities he has that have made him a star, non of them are conventional, especially his unfluid acting style.
    Less rugged but more affable and humorous than Connery, he has arguably been the bigger star, especially since the 80's.
    Personally I think his best include The Ipcress File, Alfie, The Italian job, Get Carter, Sleuth, Blood and Wine, Harry Brown and if my partner is to believed, The Muppets Christmas Carol..
    What does the team think?

I’d also suggest Caine and Connery in The Man Who Would Be King

Steve

Comment

I’d also suggest Caine and Connery in The Man Who Would Be King
      A perfect two for one!

Personally I think his best include The Ipcress File, Alfie, The Italian job, Get Carter, Sleuth, Blood and Wine, Harry Brown and if my partner is to believed, The Muppets Christmas Carol..
      Havnt seen Blood and Wine or Harry Brown, but totally concur with the rest, especially Get Carter, Ipcress and Christmas Carol (it really is a delight). I would also highly recommend him in Mona Lisa and Little Voice - very good at villains with a good script, and as something of a anti hero in Play Dirty. And he does a great piece with Maggie Smith in California Suite, as well as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Comment

Not many people know this, but he's also damn good in Pulp, Sweet Liberty, Educating Rita, and The Quiet American. Apparently he's also in the Jenny Agutter film The Eagle Has Landed.

I also have a soft spot for Billion Dollar Brain.
        Last edited by agutterfan; 7th May 2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Bonekicker
          Bonekicker commented
          Editing a comment
          Forgot about Educating Rita!

I like Michael Caine and will watch just about any movie he's in. Loved "Educating Rita," "Alfie," just a few of the many. And he's a very nice man, unassuming and kind in person.

Comment

The worst of Michael Caine would be a very long list!! The best of...has to include Cider House Rules (1999)

Comment

My personal favourites are Get Carter, The muppets Christmas carol ( I watch it every year!), and The italian job, which is worth watching every time for Irene Handl and 'Annette'

I was also very impressed with 'Harry Brown.' I think I will give it another whirl
            Last edited by Faginsgirl; 7th May 2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
              Not many people know this...
              I saw what you did there.

Comment

• agutterfan
                agutterfan commented
                Editing a comment
                I know, and I was only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Has any other actor inspired so many dodgy impersonations!!

Comment

Jimmy Cagney?

Comment

• agutterfan
                  agutterfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, Nick, you dirty rat you ... top of the World, Ma!

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
                Jimmy Cagney?
                Cary Grant

Comment

• agutterfan
                  agutterfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Where did you get that phoney accent? Nobody "talks loike thet"!!

• theuofc
                  theuofc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree! More Cary Grant impersonators than Michael Caine. I've heard people repeat Caine's lines in films but not his own voice.

For me and in no particular order; The Ipcress File (1965, Alfie (1966) , Funeral In Berlin (1966), The Italian Job (1969) and Deadfall (1968).

Comment

I just watched The Island (1980) Caine has a very stern look throughout , its a fairly risible film but its closest Ive seen Mike play the action hero .
                  He seemed game for a broad selection of parts and he's made no secret he did films for the money/location .
                  I was hoping for years that hed do an Italian job sequel .
                  Sleuth (1974) gave michael his greatest challenge playing opposite the master Olivier .
                  Last edited by AlecLeamas; 8th May 2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Fraguela View Post
                    For me and in no particular order; The Ipcress File (1965, Alfie (1966) , Funeral In Berlin (1966), The Italian Job (1969) and Deadfall (1968).
                    Interesting you mentioned Deadfall, Joe. I don't think it would be on many peoples list as their favourite Michael movie.
                    I don't think it's that bad, it's just that Michael feels a bit miscast. David Buck might have been better in the lead role.
                    Bryan Forbes directs competently enough.

Comment

Michael Caine is something of a magnet to me. If he's in it, I'll watch it.

Comment

• theuofc
                        theuofc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Me too! Shirley: Were you "ShirlGirl" in the old BritMovie site? If so, I remember your posts!

• Shirley Brahms
                        Shirley Brahms commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, Barbara, that's me, I'm still around! Great to see you back - it's been ages.

• theuofc
                        theuofc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi, Shirley: I thought that was you. You always made such great posts so I remembered you. Back atcha, nice to see you too.
                    Working...
                    X