Robert Newton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Newton

Today, on the telly, they were televising the film, The high and the mighty. American film starring John Wayne. One British actor was also in the film, Robert Newton. Film was released in 1954. As I recalled, he did star in the film, Blue beard the pirate.

Originally posted by Kevinspencer View Post
    Today, on the telly, they were televising the film, The high and the mighty. American film starring John Wayne. One British actor was also in the film, Robert Newton. Film was released in 1954. As I recalled, he did star in the film, Blue beard the pirate.
    That was Blackbeard The Pirate. I thought Newton was excellent as Dr Arnold in Tom Brown's Schooldays.

Comment

Sadly alcohol marred the career of this very fine actor. Watch his earlier film appearances and you can see how talented he was.

He was cast as Svengali in the 1954, but his drunken behaviour got him sacked and he was replaced by Donald Wolfit. Some long shots of Newton apparently remain in the film.

According to David Niven, when Newton was cast as Inspector Fix in Around the World in Eighty Days (1956), it was on the strict understanding he stayed off the booze. He duly did so and put in an excellent, if somewhat ripe, performance. Later, when Newton was called back for retakes, Niven was appalled to see he had fallen off the wagon and Newton was in tears when he confessed that to Niven. He died soon afterwards.

Comment

Working...
      X