Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody actually -gulp- SPOKEN to a film/TV star in person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody actually -gulp- SPOKEN to a film/TV star in person?

i was walking through Plymouth city centre some 12 (?) years ago when among the crowds I spotted a tall chap coming towards me and thought "I know him!"
    He looked like Peter Bowles (of To the Manor Born etc, black moustache and all) but he seemed much too tall, but I u-turned as he passed and followed just behind for a while trying to psyche myself up to ask him.
    Then he turned towards the Theatre Royal which clinched it, so I put two and two together and called out "Peter!" to his back.
    He turned round with a puzzled smile so I stuttered- "Hi, I've seen you on TV and just wanted to say hello", then gave him a cheery wave and walked off back down the street before he could reply, and leaving him standing there smiling.
    Naturally I'd have liked to have had a chat with him but didn't want to invade his space, you know how it is.
    Back home I saw in the paper that he was appearing in some play at the T Royal which confirmed it really was him.

In answer to your question...yes, but I would never dream of a speaking to someone that way, unless the situation invited conversation.

A smile, and a friendly nod indicating recognition would suffice.

Comment

I was once introduced to Ian Hendry by a great drinking pal of his at a pub in Golders Green Road, he loved talking about "Live Now Pay Later." I used to live in a flat in Hendon where one of my neighbours was Barbara Windsor who was always ready for a smile and a chat.

Comment

Yes, many times. Usually people who have been involved in Powell & Pressburger films in some way or another.

It's always good to know about all of their work. So do your homework before speaking to them, and make sure they really are who you suspect they are before speaking to them.

Most people don't mind being spoken to, but not interrupted if they're speaking to someone else or doing something else.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeball View Post
          i was walking through Plymouth city centre some 12 (?) years ago when among the crowds I spotted a tall chap coming towards me and thought "I know him!"
          He looked like Peter Bowles (of To the Manor Born etc, black moustache and all) but he seemed much too tall, but I u-turned as he passed and followed just behind for a while trying to psyche myself up to ask him.
          Then he turned towards the Theatre Royal which clinched it, so I put two and two together and called out "Peter!" to his back.
          He turned round with a puzzled smile so I stuttered- "Hi, I've seen you on TV and just wanted to say hello", then gave him a cheery wave and walked off back down the street before he could reply, and leaving him standing there smiling.
          Naturally I'd have liked to have had a chat with him but didn't want to invade his space, you know how it is.
          Back home I saw in the paper that he was appearing in some play at the T Royal which confirmed it really was him.
          Funnily enough, I too spotted Peter Bowles, but in New York, when he walked past me. And yes, he is very tall indeed.

Comment

Petula Clark, Clodagh Rodgers, Sheila Ferguson.

Primarily Singers, but they all have acting roles on their CV.

Aiden Gillen walked past me in Belfast, tempted to say hello, but didn't have the courage.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
              In answer to your question...yes, but I would never dream of a speaking to someone that way, unless the situation invited conversation.
              A smile, and a friendly nod indicating recognition would suffice.
              Ah, but if an actor is walking around without a shred of disguise (no dark glasses or baseball cap etc) perhaps he/she WANTS people to spot him for a chat?..

Comment

Some years ago, I was somewhat lost. I was trying to locate the Albert Hall. I was in the park. I asked a lady if I was near then Albert Hall, she told me is was about a 10 minute walk. She was American. I thanked her, I recognized her. Finally I remembered who she was. It was Ava Gardner.

Comment

• narabdela
                  narabdela commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At least 30 years ago.

Originally posted by Eyeball View Post

Ah, but if an actor is walking around without a shred of disguise (no dark glasses or baseball cap etc) perhaps he/she WANTS people to spot him for a chat?..
                Here in London we often spot famous people walking around. But we don’t have to go up to them & speak to them all.

Steve

Comment

When I was working as a Postal Manager in Sydney I served a few celebrities. Some actors I recall are Bryan Brown, John Jarratt & quite a few from "A Country Practice" when I worked at Epping.
                  By far the nicest I ever met was an actor called John Clayton who was a familar face in Aussie films & TV. He usually played a cop or a nasty villain but
                  he always let on to me if I was on a break having a fag or something. A lovely bloke!
                  Last edited by wadsy; 24th May 2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Narabdela, it was around 40 years ago. I think she had a dog.

Comment

I have met a few but my favourites are Robert Picardo and Tom Baker, first mr Picardo he was in Belfast and as he had just finished a signing he was getting ready to go however he bumped into me and of course I knew him right away. What a nice man he is as I started talking to him and a great sense of humour. As for Tom well I did compliment him on his having "Woman's hands" as he signed his book, you could hear his laugh for miles lovely person.

Comment

I've met Tom Baker a number of times, plus other Doctors Who Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann and Matt Smith, plus a variety of their companions.

And when I worked in London, I was asked for directions by an elderly gentleman with a stick. I couldn't help him, but one of my colleagues did and identified him as Ludovic Kennedy. He look quite a bit older in the flesh compared to his then-current TV appearances.

Comment

I would like to mention one of the actors I met and much liked was Michael Wisher. He appeared in DOCTOR WHO a number of times, did Dalek voices in the 70s, but is best remembered as the outstanding work he did as the original Davros. One evening, at a convention in Brighton, MIchael somewhat naively come down to the bar in the hotel where it was being held with a bound script to study his lines for the upcoming BBC production of ALICE IN WONDERLAND. We engaged Michael in conversation instead and he downed a drink, but what has always stuck in my memory was how he was more interested in finding out where we came from and what we did instead of going on and on about the roles he had played. A real gentleman.

Comment

Not an actor but I’ve met and spoken to Oliver Stone. He was doing a talk at Durham University. The entire evening can be watched on YouTube including my question to him about his film U Turn. Afterwards I had a nice chat with him.

Comment

Working...
                            X