Claire Bloom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claire Bloom

I was watching a film she starred in In 1958. The buccaneer. A Cecil B DeMille production. Generally any film he made usually was star studded with well known actors. Yul Brynner, Claire Bloom, Charles Boyer, and Ingér ,,
    Stevens, and Charlton Heston as Andrew Jackson. In 1953 he played the part of Andrew Jackson in The president’s lady. .Accurate events, no so in this film, a remake of a film, same title in 1938, directed by Cecil B DeMille. Reviews were favourable. A good film to watch on a Saturday afternoon, entraînement enjoyment, but lacking accurate details.

Was that the last film Yul Brynner made with a full head of hair?

Comment

Yes, that was the film he had a full head of hair.

Comment

A couple of little known facts about Yul Brynner. Apparently he was a lifelong Liverpool supporter, and he never wore after shave lotion.

That's right.....Yul never wore cologne !!!

Comment

And bizarrely, Claire Bloom also played Doctor Who's mum (allegedly)!

Comment

Yul Brynner, unfortunately was a heavy smoker. Years later, after discovering his cancer, he became a spokesperson advising people not to smoke. I, for one don’t smoke, a horrible expensive habit which has taken many individuals to the grave. I am surprised that the cigarette companies can remain in business. But then again, a matter of taxes, the government collects lots of money from the tax on each pack.

Comment

A stunning beauty and a great actress of the old school. It's not true that Chaplin discovered her (a popular myth), though he probably introduced her to Hollywood. She resisted though as she cared more about the parts offered than on being a star (she played frumpy or dowdy when the part required), so she was wisely choosy, and wasn't afraid of appearing in television even early in her career. Films she appeared in that I really liked were Look Back in Anger, The Haunting, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, Charly, A Severed Head, A Doll's House (made at the same time as the Jane Fonda version), and Shadowlands (TVM 1981), as well as TV productions ranging from 1981's Brideshead Revisited to last year's Summer of Rockets where at the age of 87 she was still one of the best things in it and easily held her own against a younger cast.

Her film/TV credits: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001954/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0. She also had a distinguished theatre career, with many Broadway productions too. An interesting article: https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-the-limelight.

Comment

An article to celebrate Claire Bloom at 90.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/20...irit-and-steel

Comment

Happy Birthday to Claire:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Claire Bloom, 1960s (Pictures and Photos - Getty Images).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	98298

At her most beautiful in the 1960s

With first (and best) husband Rod Steiger in 1959:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Claire Bloom and Rod Steiger in 1959 (Alamy).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	98299

My favourite Hollywood couple.

Comment

Anyone know if Claire Boom had an M-G-M contract in 1961/62?

She appeared in mainly M-G-M films during this period, but I can't find any mention of a contract exclusive or otherwise. Bloom and Steiger were nominally based in the States during these years - so it could be that Bloom was available and one job with the studio led to another.

Nothing mentioned in either of Bloom's autobiographies and I can't find mention of a signing in the trade press.

Comment

Working...
                    X