Sheila Fearn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheila Fearn

I work for a production company called Made in Manchester Productions. We are trying to find a plethora of veteran stars and former stars of big and small screen for interviews for various programmes and podcasts we make. Today I am looking for Sheila Fearn who retired from the business in 1988 after an accident I understand. All I know is that she lives in Oxfordshire and her married name is Sheila Fearn Oakes. If anyone knows how to contact Ms Fearn please let me know! Many thanks. Andrew.

Hope you find her.

Comment

Yeah good luck in finding her, and if I might digress slightly, I've tried to contact various actors/actresses now and again but they're nearly all very hard to find.
      Personally if I was an actor I'd enjoy talking to fans.
      Also some actors are very grumpy and downright rude to their fans.

Comment

I’ve always felt that too. If I was an actor I’d think it great I had fans who wanted contact. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford especially valued this. They both said if it wasn’t for the fans they wouldn’t be stars. I think once they stop acting it is almost impossible to find them. It amazes me too how some actors can be rude. I understand they want a private life but without fans who would they be!

Comment

I hope Sheila is well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeball View Post
            Personally if I was an actor I'd enjoy talking to fans.
            Also some actors are very grumpy and downright rude to their fans.
            Originally posted by googiefan View Post
            It amazes me too how some actors can be rude. I understand they want a private life but without fans who would they be!

With respect, I feel that the above posts reflect a slightly selfish point of view If an actor wants to interact with fans, all well and good, but others don't. They do their job and then want to go home and have a private life. They find the idea that the public 'own' them in some way as abhorrent. They do try to be polite, but can be grumpy and rude if they think their privacy is being invaded.

I think we should respect their wishes.

Comment

Yes respecting their wishes is okay but there is no need to be rude.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
                Yes respecting their wishes is okay but there is no need to be rude.
                It depends on what you do. If you rush up to them while they're eating a meal or talking to someone else & insist that they respond to you then they're entitled to tell you to f**k off.

But if you politely wait for a pause in their meal (between courses) or a pause in their conversation then yes, there's no need to be rude.

Steve

Comment

Film actors work hard. In studios under hot lights, outside sometimes in bad weather. At the end of the day they like to relax. Incidents have occurred when they are in restaurants trying to enjoy their meals, people going over to their table wanting autographs or pictures taken with them, I saw one actor who was walking down the street in my city, some recognized him, ran over and pleaded for an autograph and a picture taken next to him. On airplanes when passengers recognize an actor, they will pester them, surprising some don’t mind. Bette Davis was known to be quite friendly towards her fans. One actor, Danny Kay hated it. If you bothered him he let it be known he did not like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

It depends on what you do. If you rush up to them while they're eating a meal or talking to someone else & insist that they respond to you then they're entitled to tell you to f**k off.

But if you politely wait for a pause in their meal (between courses) or a pause in their conversation then yes, there's no need to be rude.

Steve
                    I went to stay with a friend from university a year or so after we graduated. I knew that his girlfriend was an actress and that she was in Coronation Street. She was very much the same in real life as in Corrie. I'd watched a few episodes so I could talk knowledgably about it and her storyline. When we went out into Manchester, she got a bit of attention, though it was mostly just people saying "Hi. How ya doing?" There was only one person who asked for an autograph (this was in the days before mobile phone cameras and selfies with famous people) and she was happy to stop. But one day we went to Liverpool and she was mobbed by people - my mate had to fend off people when they became a bit of a nuisance. I commented about the difference. "Well, everyone in Salford and Manchester knows me, and knows to give me a bit of privacy, but in Liverpool I'm not local so I'm just someone they recognise off the telly".

Comment

If I was an actor and didn't want to be recognised I'd simply wear a fake beard and sunglasses or something, but if an actor strolls around NOT in disguise, the public might justifiably take it as an open invitation to chat..
                      I spotted Peter Bowles (To the Manor Born) striding around Plymouth city centre a few years ago on his own without a shred of disguise (he was appearing in a play at Plymouth's Theatre Royal), so I followed him for a bit, expecting fans to come up to him and shake his hand, but nobody did!
                      So, feeling slightly sorry for him, I called out "Peter" and he stopped and turned round with a smile, so I sheepishly mumbled "I've seen you on TV and just wanted to say hello" and gave him a cheery wave and went on my way..

PS- still on the Theatre Royal, I was once in Spar grocer's just across the road from it a while back, and asked a shop assistant if any actors ever dropped in. "Yes" he replied, "X was in only recently but he seemed grumpy and irritated by customers trying to chat with him".
                      (X is a veteran Brit actor and household name who usually plays suave upper-class roles and I'm not sure if I should mention his name in this forum unless members want me to)

Clue- one of his lines in a notable film was "Thought I'd push you along a bit".
                      Any takers?

Comment

Pick up this clip at 6:55 of Star Wars actor Ewan McGregor (he's not X) in Tunisia during a motorbike trip as he visits an original Star Wars tourist attraction.
                        He's not in disguise, he's got 'McGregor' emblazoned across the back of his teeshirt, and there are pictures of him on the wall.
                        Will he be mobbed by fans? Check it..

https://youtu.be/dmIQdTHD3rA
                        Last edited by Eyeball; 3 August 2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

In a chat show (Parky?) which I watched some years ago, Michael Caine was asked about his fans and he gave the impression he generally appreciated them, but he then related the following anecdote about one male fan who almost crossed the line.
                          Caine was walking to a restaurant to meet a lady when he was recognised by a smiling fan who came up to him, and they chatted amiably as they walked together.
                          "Where are you going?" asked the fan, and Caine replied "To a restaurant", at which the fan asked "Can I come with you?"..
                          Caine let him down gently by saying something like "Sorry mate but I'm meeting a lady and want to be alone with her, you know how it is", so the fan took it goodnaturedly and said a cheery "Bye then".
                          Last edited by Eyeball; 3 August 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeball View Post
                          If I was an actor and didn't want to be recognised I'd simply wear a fake beard and sunglasses or something, but if an actor strolls around NOT in disguise, the public might justifiably take it as an open invitation to chat..
                          But almost every actor wears dark glasses nowadays - even at night

Steve

Comment

My dad was well-known off the telly, back in the 1950s and 60s. When I was a boy and we were out together in London just occasionally we'd get a shout of recognition from a lorry driver. I started to wonder "Dad, do you know everyone?!", so he had to explain why people felt they "knew" him, even if he didn't know them. He was a nice man, generally kind and polite to everyone, but he had been annoyed on occasion. Surely everyone who has a job should understand that they aren't "on duty" all the time. Actors actually live quite normally when they aren't working... stars may be a bit different... why is that so difficult to understand.

Comment

Working...
                            X