Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Centenarian actors and actresses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centenarian actors and actresses

I've been meaning to continue this thread from the old forum as I have a few more to add which I will do at some point. But today the remarkable Earl Cameron joins the 100 club so Happy Birthday to him!

E.

Hello again Euryale, after all this time. Was Theodora Lynch included in the original list? She was married to J. Paul Getty and died earlier this year, aged 103. I found out about her after my recent viewing of The Lost Weekend (1945). What a joy to see that again after so many years.

The Pyxurz blogspot has many great captures from the classic film (saving me the trouble for once), including the
    Drinking Song sequence from La Traviata which she performs with fellow Metropolitan Opera singer John Garris:

I was shocked to read that he was murdered only four years later. Theodora outlived him by 68 years! R.I.P. both.

Los Angeles Times obituary

Please enjoy this beautiful song, Euryale:

Comment

Hello Cornershop! No, I don't think Theodora was on the old forum. I guess we did't know about her but I wonder if she would have made the list anyway as the criterion seemed to be that the actor/actress should have been born in Britain - of course I could be wrong about that.

My own 'rule' for adding people is that they needn't be born here but they must have appeared in British films and/or television - after all, this is Britmovie! However, I don't own the thread so as far as I'm concerned members can include whomever they like.

Anyway, Theodora did live to be a very grand age!

E.

Comment

Nickola Sterne

Nickola died earlier this year at the age of 102. She was born as Pamela Violet Rowan-Robinson in India on 2nd March 1914 and died in London on 11th January 2017. As well as being a stage actress, she appeared in a number of television shows such as Grange Hill and The Glittering Prizes.

Thanks to Weary for the image.

E.

Comment

Madge Snell

Born as Josephine Madge Snell in Surrey on 10th July 1885 and died on 7th November 1985 in Brighton. Madge was mainly a stage actress but did a few films in the 1930s such as The Eternal Feminine. She was married to Count Vivian Hollander.

Click image for larger version

Name:	madgesnell5.png
Views:	2
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	33454

E.
          Attached Files

Comment

Bud Ralston

Bud was born as Frank Tipping in Manchester where he also died - 13th October 1898 to 22nd April 1999. He was mainly a stage comedian in pantomime and such but appeared in some films and television shows like Coronation Street.

Bud served in the Great War.

E.

Comment

Vivian Gaye

Vivian was born as Sanya Lilian Steinman in London on 13th December 1907. She spent much of her life in America where she was married to famed film director Ernst Lubitsch, but she did make a couple of British pictures. She died on 18th July 2010 at Southampton, New York, aged 102.

E.

Comment

June Ashley 7th October 1911 - November 2017

June with third and last husband Nicholas Daniel. The Tatler, 1955

I've just found out that June Ashley has died within the last few days at the age of 106, so she must surely be one our most long-lived actresses. She made a number of films in the 1950s and was the mother of actress/artist Sara Leighton and actress Carole Lorimer.

June was born as Ida Cora Kate Pritchard on 7th Oct. 1911 in Camberwell. I entered her real name and year/place of birth into the imdb ages ago. I also knew that she was still alive as of 2014. Just this morning I thought I'd try and find some more information on June. I managed to locate her baptism record and her entry on the 1939 register of British Residents. Both stated exact date-of-birth to be 7th October 1911, so I'm taking that to be correct. Then I took a look around the net and stumbled on Sara Leighton's Facebook page where she'd announced just yesterday that mother June had died. So a sad coincidence to be looking for June today only to find that she passed away a short time ago.

R.I.P. June. But a good long life!

June's birth/baptism records and 1939 register entry:

Comment

We have a new centenarian to add to our list. Veteran character actress Bay White celebrated her 100th birthday on 1st January 2018. Bay now lives in Scotland. Her daughter-in-law Jenny Gunn posted some nice pictures on Facebook of Bay with her telegram from the Queen. Thanks to Weary for Bay's image below:

Comment

Bay lives in Cromarty.

Comment

We have another centenarian in actress Pat/Patsy Crowther.

Patsy was born as Ellen Louise Mildred Crowther in Holborn on May 10th 1899. Her death was recorded at Richmond, Surrey in October 2001 so we know that she achieved her 102nd birthday. She was residing at Brinsworth House, Twickenham at the time she died.

From the 1920s to the 1950s Patsy was a stage entertainer with a comedy/dance act in partnership with her husband Teddy Harley. In later years she took bit parts in film and television. Patsy and Teddy had a son Timothy Harley who was an actor in the 1950s/60s.

Thanks to Weary for the image.

E.

Comment

Great find Euryale!

Comment

Yes euryale great find you never cease to amaze me

Comment

This time we have a centenarian actor - Harry Douglas.

He was born as Harry Hunter Douglas in Brechin, Scotland on 22nd July 1907 and died in Campbeltown, Scotland on 10th October 2008, aged 101.

The Dundee Courier, 12th May 1931

Harry began as an amateur actor in North-East Scotland before moving to London and turning professional in the 1930s. He did theatrical work and acted in the BBC radio soap opera The Robinsons aka Front Line Family.

Harry served in the RAF during the War and returned to live in Scotland around 1949 where he continued to work in theatre. He became an adviser to the Scottish Community Drama Association.

As to Harry' screen credits - that is another question. He appears as Harry Douglas (i) at the imdb and basically I believe that those credits for 1937-1947 are our Harry's but those for the 1970s belong to another actor of the same name. But that needs to be looked at in another post.

Presumably Harry's television appearances from the 1930s/40s are no longer extant but he is credited in the film The Last Adventurers (1937) as Charlie Waite. In an early scene the fellow below is addressed as Charlie so that must be Harry Douglas:

The film is about trawlermen and unfortunately Charlie gets washed overboard during a storm half way through!

E.

Comment

This is the Harry Douglas who appeared in The Frighteners episode Bed and Breakfast (on the left) and the Sykes episode Dream (on the right), both 1972:

This is our Harry pictured in the Aberdeen Press and Journal on 6th June 1975 attending a theatrical event:

It seems clear to me that he is not the same person as The Frighteners Harry. The latter looks as though he could already be in his 80s, whereas our Harry was only about 68 when the above picture was taken. Furthermore, our Harry seems pretty much to have retired by the 1970s although he did occasionally get involved in Scottish theatrical productions.

As to The Frighteners Harry Douglas - I don't really know anything about him. He is probably the actor who is listed as a deceased member of Equity in The Stage newspaper in 1979. But a writer in The Stage in October, 1970 briefly mentions bumping into actor Harry Douglas in a television studio. He goes on to say that this Harry had once been a stalwart of the Fred Karno Troupe. The Stage lists a Harry Douglas as appearing with Fred as far back as 1908. If that is the same Harry as The Frighteners one then it looks as though he too lived to be a good age!

E.

Comment

Working...
                              X