Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Philip Needs (1950 - 2016).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Needs (1950 - 2016).

Has Euryale re-registered on the new forum? Because her help is needed. I’ve been trying to add the date of Philip Needs (star of Hand in Hand in 1960 and many other films and TV series) death and location of death to the IMDb, but can’t find a way to upload it. The ‘submit information’ icon is missing on there and there are only ‘discard information’ and 'save for later' icons. Anyway, if anyone can do better than me at uploading it, please would you do so? His date of birth and place of birth are already on there, so that’s half the battle. I also tried to submit his birth name, Phillip (with two ‘L’s) Hayward-Needs, but couldn’t.

Anyway, here is the info. He died at the Glangwili General Hospital, Carmarthen, Wales, UK, aged 65, on Tuesday, March 8th, 2016, after a long illness. Information supplied to me on request by Ann Morris, a member of staff at the Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narbeth, Wales (his funeral service and cremation were held there). Thank You.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 7th March 2017, 06:19 PM.

DBF you have to provide confirmation of death to Imdb through a copy of the death certificate which I think you can scan through to them (although I've never tried).
    I do hope Euryale re registers with the forum as well. Her contributions are invaluable for research.

Comment

Well, Euryale managed to upload Tommy Kearin's date and place of death last year on the IMDb without supplying any death certificate. I suppose I could send for a copy of the death certificate, although they must be around £12 or £14 each by now. But even if I did, I wouldn't know how to scan it and send it to the IMDb. Euryale would, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
        DBF you have to provide confirmation of death to Imdb through a copy of the death certificate which I think you can scan through to them (although I've never tried).
        I do hope Euryale re registers with the forum as well. Her contributions are invaluable for research.
        The IMDb also accepts a write up / obituary in any publication with a web site
        So that includes the BBC web site or other (fairly) respectable news outlets, just not Wikipedia or a "blog"

I've often done them

You only get the Submit button when you've dealt with any problems in the submission form and you have green across the board

Steve

Comment

Right you are, Steve. I've searched all over the Internet and I can't find any newspaper obituary for him at all. Although no doubt Euryale could find one.

David.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
            Right you are, Steve. I've searched all over the Internet and I can't find any newspaper obituary for him at all. Although no doubt Euryale could find one.

David.
            Could only find a very vague reference to his death, DBF, but I've submitted it to imdb coupled with your info. so we'll have to wait and see if it gets added. It seems to be taking about a week or more at the moment. I've already got his birth name added by submitting his marriage record.

E.

Comment

Originally posted by Euryale View Post
              It seems to be taking about a week or more at the moment.
              The first thing you need to learn when working with the IMDb is patience

They get a ridiculous number of submissions every day and they have to check each of them by hand. So taking a week to process them isn't at all bad

Steve

Comment

I am sorry to read that. I just looked at the TCM schedule for this month and Hand in Hand is on this month; it will be the first time I have seen it since 1967.

I recall seeing that on the Children's Film Festival when I was eight. I mentioned it on the old forum. Then it disappeared for many years. Every Sunday afternoon there would be a film hosted by Kukla, Fran and Ollie - a popular puppet act. So many scenes are clear in my memory - when the boy thinks the girl has died in an accident; when she goes to church with him and he goes to a synagogue. Very good memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Euryale View Post

Could only find a very vague reference to his death, DBF, but I've submitted it to imdb coupled with your info. so we'll have to wait and see if it gets added. It seems to be taking about a week or more at the moment. I've already got his birth name added by submitting his marriage record.

E.
                  Many Thanks, Euryale. I'm glad you're on the new forum. I hope the IMDb uploads the information before too long. I found Phillip's Facebook page that hadn't been updated for a year, so that didn't bode well and it looked like that person who said on the IMDb message boards before they went defunct was right about him dying last March. Then, searching around, I found another Facebook page where the Reverend Euryl Howells, Chaplain of Glangwili General Hospital in Carmarthen, was announcing the date and place of Phillip's funeral and asking people who knew Phillip to come forward to give a eulogy on him at the service. So I contacted the Reverend by email and asked him could he supply me with the date and location of Phillip's death and he replied that he wasn't allowed to do that (I thought 'Why not? Is it a state secret?'), but he referred me to the Parc Gwyn crematorium and I contacted them and they told me the date and location without any trouble. And that's how I found out. I haven't been able to discover the cause of death, except 'after a long illness' which could have been anything...cancer, motor neurone disease...anything really. But as far as the IMDb is concerned, 'after a long illness' will do.

BELOW: Phillip Needs, aged 9, going on 10, with Loretta Parry in 1960 and an undated photo of Phillip as an adult, probably aged around 60.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 8th March 2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Comment

Many Thanks, Euryale. I'm glad you're on the new forum. I hope the IMDb uploads the information before too long. I found Phillip's Facebook page that hadn't been updated for a year, so that didn't bode well and it looked like that person who said on the IMDb message boards before they went defunct was right about him dying last March. Then, searching around, I found another Facebook page where the Reverend Euryl Howells, Chaplain of Glangwili General Hospital in Carmarthen, was announcing the date and place of Phillip's funeral and asking people who knew Phillip to come forward to give a eulogy on him at the service. So I contacted the Reverend by email and asked him could he supply me with the date and location of Phillip's death and he replied that he wasn't allowed to do that (I thought 'Why not? Is it a state secret?'), but he referred me to the Parc Gwyn crematorium and I contacted them and they told me the date and location without any trouble. And that's how I found out. I haven't been able to discover the cause of death, except 'after a long illness' which could have been anything...cancer, motor neurone disease...anything really. But as far as the IMDb is concerned, 'after a long illness' will do.
                      People can write any old rubbish on Facebook - Fake News!!
                      'After a long illness' is a quite acceptable cause of death on the IMDb

Steve

Comment

I'm pleased to report that Phillip's date and location of death have now been added to his IMDb page.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0624146/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 9th March 2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I'm pleased to report that Phillip's date and location of death have now been added to his IMDb page.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0624146/?ref_=nv_sr_1
                          Yes, I've had a whole raft of deaths I submitted over the past week added today.

There was an article in the Pembrokeshire Herald on 3rd April 2015 alleging that Phillip may have been swindled out of several hundred pounds by a lawyer. The latter did end up in jail for defrauding one of his clients. The article also says that Phillip suffered from arthritis and had to use mobility aids. He worked as a volunteer for Age Concern.

E.

Comment

Thanks for that info, Euryale. I've been thinking that it was kind of strange that the Reverend Howells requested online for people to come forward to say a eulogy at Phillip's funeral. Surely, one of his family could have done that. Maybe he had outlived his family. Also, although he died on March 8th, his funeral didn't take place until April 15th, five and a half weeks later. Funerals usually take place within ten days of someone's death if it was from natural causes. Looks like he was unwell for quite a while, poor lad. May he Rest In Peace.

Comment

I've just Googled and read that article in the Pembrokeshire Herald. What a terrible thing to have happened to him. Poor man.

Comment

Working...
                              X