Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Guy Standeven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy Standeven

Here's a, I think, previously unseen picture of Guy in Eye of the Needle from 1981 to get his topic restarted on this fine website. Next to him is, of course, Lewis Alexander without Aileen but here with a much younger model. Seconds later John Tatum is seen as part of the wedding party but its a bit of a blur to capture. Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	2
Size:	728.9 KB
ID:	4170Click image for larger version

Size:	728.9 KB
ID:	4171

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4085.JPG Views:	1 Size:	107.9 KB ID:	4276 Despite the whole episode of this woefully unfunny sitcom revolving around his character this is all we see of the great Guy Standeven in The Piglet Files. Episode 1 of series 2 in 1991. Still he speaks 'thank you Postman' and gets credited.
    Last edited by Stonfan; 5th May 2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Picture to follow.

Comment

Here it is. You can just make out his pipe. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4088.JPG Views:	1 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	4280

Comment

Here's an old Guy in 1995's First Knight. He gets a bit of cheering to do. Thanks for putting Eye of the Needle on IMDB by the way. Click image for larger version

Size:	685.9 KB
ID:	4455Click image for larger version

Size:	685.9 KB
ID:	4456

Comment

This must be the thread to ask... how did he pronounce that surname? Is it Stand-Even (rhymes with Grand-Steven), or STANDevn (to rhyme with Brandy-'un)?
            Just curious, as I have now seen the name many times but never heard it spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
              This must be the thread to ask... how did he pronounce that surname? Is it Stand-Even (rhymes with Grand-Steven), or STANDevn (to rhyme with Brandy-'un)?
              Just curious, as I have now seen the name many times but never heard it spoken.
              I'm not sure if Scott Palmer spoke to Guy and found out the correct pronunciation, but I'll ask him next time we're talking.

Comment

Nice to see his two Italian giallo films on IMDB. Could someone add First Knight (photo above) from 1995. He plays as villager.

Comment

I've submitted the First Knight entry for Guy, as I did for his Eye of the Needle and Giallo appearances. Any other usable images you can find of Guy, I will submit for you.

Comment

Thanks Tigon Man. It's great to see his 1990's credits filling out due to our combined efforts. I've been researching his life as little side project and amassed about 500 credits ( Scott Palmers says its probably double this) There are lots of photos from the old site that haven't made it onto IMDB so it's not really my place to repost those. For example Gerald posted a picture of him on the old site from a film called The Hostage in which he had quite a substantial role but that's not on IMDB. I will continue to trawl through his later work for pictures though.
                    Does anyone know if Richard Standeven (TV Director) was his son? I'm sure Harry Fielder mentioned this once.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	5886Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4149.JPG Views:	1 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	5887 From 1997, here's another of Guys final appearances, this time from The Saint. He's a Russian priest. I could tell this bit was filmed in England as I spotted that chap who was a Alfred Hitchcock lookalike in the crowd.
                      Last edited by Stonfan; 30th May 2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Great sighting Stonfan, def one for Imdb.
                        My recent research through my role in the Civil Service, shows that Guy was in receipt of an army pension and a war disability pension. I've been unable to find out any more, despite logging on to a Forces War Record Site.
                        There is a M.G.Standeven who served I think in world war I and later in the terretorials, Probably Guy's Father. I guess Guy junior might have served in Korea or the Malaya campaign. Nice to know he did his bit.
                        Richard Standeven was born in Halifax in 1956, so I guess could be Guy's son, although I didn't Guy think had ever married.

Comment

Great information on his war record, cheers. Guy doesn't look well in The Saint. He yawns and his eyes roll in a brief shot. This may be just an awkward take but he looks frail. I've spoken to some of the cast of Knightmare and Joan Mills who directed him in some plays in the 70's. Everyone says he was a delightful, unpretentious chap. One of his co-stars was surprised he did so much extra work as he was a 'proper actor'. He certainly had no heirs and graces.

Comment

Lovely to see that credit on IMDB, cheers. As it's half term I will look for some more.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4160.JPG
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	5942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4159.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	5941Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4157.JPG
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	5940 Here's Guy in Surviving Picasso from 1996. Sat next to Star Wars and Force Awakens actor Salo Gardner. He's a dinner guest in this film.

Comment

Working...
                              X