Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Know the Name but not the Face

My first subject is Reg De Beer also known as Reggie De Beer

He was a founder member of the Film Artistes Guild (FAG) in 1927, he had appeared in silent films.

Up to 1935 he was Casting Director of the Film Artistes Association (FAA) which was the successor to the FAG , he casted up to 5.000 extras for films and he 'Knew Type'.

In 1935 he became a talent spotter and discovered Camilla Erwin and Penelope Dudley-Ward.

He appeared in 'The Wishbone' in 1933 (may be a lost film, the BFI don't have a copy).

He was an active supporting artiste in films in the mid 60's, so must have had at least a 45 to 50 year career

Could he be Movie Dude's Unknown Male 29? Gerald Lovell's ' Gerald Lawson's Dad'

Massive thanks to Dave Wright for much of the above information.
    Last edited by philly; 14 July 2018, 05:14 PM.

My second subject is Cecil Paul

He is credited in three episodes of The Vise/Mark Saber

1958 Deadline for Murder - No attribution
    1959 The Long Wait - Collins/Wylie or Wylde
    1959 There's Danger in Beauty - Mechanic

There is no known print of the last one listed, copies of the other two are held at the NFTVA

Cecil was also Donald Gray's Stand-In for this series

I and others think that he is very likely Movie Dude's Unknown Male 108, Gerald Lovell calls him 'Peter Evans Brother'.
    UM108 appears in nearly every episode of The Vise as an extra or on occasion in uncredited character parts, he has a look of Donald Gray (as well as Peter Evans)

It seems that Cecil is UM108 but if we could just get proof to solve the identify one of our most wanted's

Someone said in the past (i can't recall who) that they thought his name was Cyril with a French last name, i think Cecil is close to Cyril and 'Paul' is a common French surname.

Massive thanks to Anthony McKay who supplied clues to his identity during his research for his forthcoming magazine on the Village and Children of the Damned films, certainly looking forward to reading that.
    Also thanks to Gerald Lovell and Dave W for observations and support, also to author Scott Palmer.
    Last edited by philly; 30 November 2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I am happy to confirm that UM108/"Peter Evans Brother" is Cecil Paul!

The Holy Grail of unknowns has been confirmed by Scott Palmer via his source in the industry, from clues supplied by me from information kindly shared by Anthony McKay.
      A Britmovie team effort. Thanks again to Scott Palmer, Anthony McKay, Gerald Lovell, Dave Wright and not forgetting Movie Dude!.
      Also all on this Forum that have supporting the recognition of our unknown Extras/Supporting Artistes/Crowd Artistes including cornershop15, Tigon Man, Marcus Heslop, cully, WoodtimberWood, Stoneageman plus anyone i have forgotten.
      Finally to Steve Crook for putting up with us!
      Last edited by philly; 25 May 2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I have a copy of the Kinetmatograph Yearbook 1957, it has an entry for the Film Artistes Association with a list of it's committee members and trustees, they will all be supporting actors, Anthony McKay has kindly shared with me the entries in the editions he holds, 1954 and earlier.
        These are the names that i am not familiar with.

Bert Hibbs
        Miss E Avans
        Joseph Dent
        Lionel Pope
        J Hibbert
        Vicky Droy
        Miss G Carlton
        John Kirkpatrick
        J Carson
        Captain Patrick Francis Joseph Fawcett-Barry
        Ken Booth
        J Franklyn-James
        Norman Brook
        Jack Lester
        Oby O'Byrne
        Violet Parry
        Alan Jennings
        Commander W Allison
        G Spencer
        G Gwynne
        J Edwards
        Dick Gregory
        F James
        Mark Milo
        C Alven
        Colonel J.R Robertson
        Colonel Irwin
        Colonel C.O. Morris
        Captain Ashley Barratt
        F Huntington
        Nell Gwynn
        L.H.B. Davis

Some of these will undoubtedly will be some of the unknowns we seek.

Comment

Jack Lester (1898-1975) was a film actor, usually played Americans. He has an Aveleyman page: https://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredi...?ActorID=96692 His biggest role was as the police chief in No Orchids for Miss Blandish. His IMDb credits were mixed for a long time with an American bit player, but have been fixed.

Oby O'Byrne appears to have been a writer for radio plays in the 1940s.

Violet Parry is probably the actress of that name (1892-1962). Most of her IMDb appearances appear to be lost episodes, though.

Alan Jennings has one credit as Colonel Czewin in Beware of Pity (1946), probably a stage actor.

Mark Milo: There was a London wrestler by this name in the 1930s-40s, described as "the champion of the Midlands." I would bet this is same person.

Patrick Francis Joseph Fawcett-Barry, born 7 Feb 1888, died Oct 1977. Lieutenant in Lancashire Fusiliers 1915-1917 (same company as J.R.R. Tolkien) , then to West African Frontier Force, demobbed Sep 1919. Some sources give his middle name as Jervoise or Gervase and not Joseph. In 1941 he was chairman of the Film Artists Association.

Ashley Herbert Barratt, 1889 Alverstoke, Hampshire-1957. London directory shows hm living in Ealing 1908-1912.

Wish I could be of more help!

D

Comment

Thanks Dave! a great help as always.

Comment

A few more recent FAA members, does anyone know what they look like?

Fred Allen, not to be confused with the American actor of the same name, may be the same as Frederick Allen, who appears in Hangman's Wharf, i am not certain.

Audrey Allan, again not to be confused with Audrey Allen the South African actress credited in The Creatures the World Forgot.

James Brett, appears in the 1959 TV play Promise to Pay, although this may be a different actor of the same name.

Albert Barber

Harry Bilgorri

Jack Barry, Ken Coombs identified him in a cap from Batman (1989) that Dave Wright posted in 2013 at the 'Who are these Actors' thread at the old site, the image hasn't survived. Not to be confused with Barry Jackson who used the name 'Jack Barry' for his stunt work including a credit in Adam Adamant.

Sandra Bass

Leslie Brown
              , to be honest i don't know if this is a lady or a gent!
              Last edited by philly; 9 December 2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Harry Bilgorri was a well known East End tailor in the 60s. Here's a nice bio about him:

https://www.geni.com/people/Harry-So...00013098302207

Only photo I could find was this one from the old "You the Jury" thread; the original photo has been lost to Photobucket's greed:

See if I can find the old Jack Barry cap, probably somewhere on my hard drive.

-Dave
                Last edited by Dave W; 9 December 2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dave!
                  Harry looks familiar, Renee Bilgorri a new name to look out for.

Comment

A few more...

Walter Bush

Daphne Baker

Alan Beaton

Albert Chrome

Norman Cleary

Anna Cameron
                    not to be confused with the Canadian actress of the same name who appeared in British TV productions of the early 60's. The British Anna was Janet Munro's regular stand-in for all her films starting with Small Hotel (1957).

Valerie Cockx appeared in several episodes of the 60's soap 'The Newcomers', unfortunately none survive.

Jack Collins

Comment

This must be your Anna Cameron with Virginia McKenna in Passionate Summer (Coventry Evening Telegraph, 14th June 1958):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Virginia McKenna and Anna Cameron in Passionate Summer (Coventry Evening Telegraph, 14th June 1958).jpg Views:	2 Size:	181.5 KB ID:	81465
                      Last edited by cornershop15; 11 December 2019, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• philly
                        philly commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hello Saracameron
                        Welcome to the forum, it took us a while to find your mum's identity, i found out that she was Janet's stand in from an old issue of the Film Artiste magazine, was Anna her stand-in for every film Janet was in?

• Saracameron
                        Saracameron commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes Anna was Janet’s Stand In on most of her films. She stood in for lots of other people too including Shelly Winters. Anna was five foot two so probably stood in for short women! Anna had a very exciting time in that period and loved working and met some big stars when she worked on films.
                        Last edited by Saracameron; 11 July 2020, 05:04 PM.

• cornershop15
                        cornershop15 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very late in finding the above comments (via notifications of posts at my subscribed threads) but I must welcome Sara to the forum. That article was a great find - as was the Coventry Evening Telegraph itself at the BNA.

(Indeed) Extra incentive to watch 'Life for Ruth' again later. Is it among the titles in Anna's diaries?

UPDATE: I decided to watch the film immediately after my post and am glad I did, even though it is fairly depressing. Couldn't spot Anna Cameron, unfortunately. A faint hope she's one of the distant figures in the courtroom.
                        Last edited by cornershop15; 5 December 2020, 08:51 PM.

Originally posted by philly View Post
                      A few more...

Walter Bush

Daphne Baker

Alan Beaton

Albert Chrome

Norman Cleary

Anna Cameron
                      not to be confused with the Canadian actress of the same name who appeared in British TV productions of the early 60's. The British Anna was Janet Munro's regular stand-in for all her films starting with Small Hotel (1957).

Valerie Cockx appeared in several episodes of the 60's soap 'The Newcomers', unfortunately none survive.

Jack Collins
                      Some interesting names there Philly.

Valerie Jeanne Cockx was born in Islington North London on January 2nd 1938.
                      Valerie married Graham Boyle on July 17th 1971 in Redbridge London.
                      Graham passed away on July 28th 2018. Valerie currently resides in Suffolk.

Comment

• philly
                        philly commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Tigon, great research!

and...

Reg Dodd

John Dodd

Michael Delaney

Tony Driscoll

Bob Driscoll not to be confused with Bobby Driscoll

Wentworth Dillon

Ricky Dawson I had previously mistaken him for Eddie Dillon

Dean DeLinde

Fred Daly
                      died 1967

Donovan Dexter
                      Last edited by philly; 25 May 2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Plus...

Joe Dillon died 1967

Dan Enright

James Edwards

Edmund Elton

Christian Fletcher

George Fox

Jack Frost

Comment

Glad to be of help with Anna Cameron, philly. I've just found Edmund Elton in Movie Dude's gallery for The Saint in Palm Springs (1941):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Edmund Elton in The Saint in Palm Springs (1941).jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.1 KB ID:	81610

'fraid I can't recall his appearances in Penny Serenade and Here Comes Mr. Jordan but am willing to track them down so that he can have his own page (one image only at the moment).

Comment

• philly
                            philly commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks cornershop, sorry though i should have put 'Not to be confused with the American actor of the same name'
                        Working...
                        X