Extras in Silent Films

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extras in Silent Films

Does anybody know if our regular extras/crowd artistes appeared in silent movies?
    I'm thinking of those born pre 1900. I'm pretty sure Gertrude Kaye and Wally Bosco appeared in the silents, but what about say Jimmy Charters, George Spence, Philip Stewart?

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
    Does anybody know if our regular extras/crowd artistes appeared in silent movies?
    I'm thinking of those born pre 1900. I'm pretty sure Gertrude Kaye and Wally Bosco appeared in the silents, but what about say Jimmy Charters, George Spence, Philip Stewart?
    It seems that Gertrude Kaye and Wallace Bosco both were in silents - Wallace was a star then! - and strangely enough, Scott Palmer and I were discussing this very subject the other day. It would appear that Graham Tonbridge, born I think in 1904, started in silents when he was in his 20s.

Comment

Miles Silverton, Edith Pavitt, Eve Aubrey, Aza Caralova and Marusa Elias all appeared in silent films and were all still active in films by the mid sixties. Reg De Beer also in silents to the sixties, unfortunately i don't know what he looks like, he must have a CV in the thousands.
      Vic Hagan another star had early thirties credits, i suspect he was in silents, he was acting into the sixties, Pat Hagan's brother. He was credited as Victor Hagen in the thirties.

Comment

Graham Tonbridge (b 1906) is a possibility as is Miles Silverton.
        Nothing recorded for Graham on Imdb before 1950 and Miles is even more scant, just a couple of entries from the 40's.
        George Spence must be a good bet for the silent's, I think his record goes back as far as 1930. George looked ancient even when he must have been relatively young. Heaven knows when he was born, in the late 1890's I guess.

Comment

Miles Silverton and the ladies mentioned in my first sentence plus Reg De Beer, were all founder members of the Film Artistes Guild (F.A.G), formed in 1927, criteria for joining was that they had to have appeared in at least three films. The F.A.G. was the forerunner of the Film Artistes Association (F.A.A.) still going today.

Comment

I guess there must be some records hidden away somewhere, recording the silent's that Miles and these ladies appeared in..

Comment

Working...
            X