X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extras in 'Public Eye' (continued)

Original thread:

Extras in 'Public Eye'

My thanks again to Andrew Pixley for supplying the uncredited names, and to Britmovie's Gerald
    Lovell for some good work in the last few weeks identifying a few faces in surviving ABC episodes.

We start with Ray Smith, Alfred Burke and our first subject Vic Taylor in Shades of White (1971):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray Smith and Alfred Burke with Vic Taylor in Public Eye - Shades of White.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	68018

Inspector Firbank, Frank Marker and the unnamed detective are following suspicious housekeeper Sheila Allen!

The lucky girl about to replace Marker in the red telephone box (not many left now) is Maris Hendrick:

Name:	Maris Hendrick in Public Eye - Mrs. Podmore's Cat.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	68019

Not a misprint. There really is a Maris Hendrick. Now a mature model:

Maris H | Female model | Source Models model agency

Can this thread be moved from Actors and Actresses to Extras (where it belongs), please? Sorry for the mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
      Can this thread be moved from Actors and Actresses to Extras (where it belongs), please? Sorry for the mistake.
      Done, it's now in Extras

Steve

Comment

• cornershop15
        cornershop15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks very much.

Jason Ives, I presume. As a 'police aide' in Series 5's finale John VII, Verse 24 :
      ‚ÄčClick image for larger version  Name:	Jason Ives in Public Eye -  John VII, Verse 24.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	68076

Recorded on 29th April 1971. The cast finished work just in time to watch that evening's (surviving) Top of the Pops
      episode featuring McGuinness Flint (which included Gallagher and Lyle) and Pan's People dancing to Mama's Pearl

The WPC bringing tea into Insp. Firbank's interview room in Ward of Court, taped two weeks earlier, is Jean Seagrove:

Name:	Jean Seagrove with Stephanie Bidmead in Public Eye - Ward of Court.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	68078

Stephanie Bidmead is fighting for custody of son John Ash with estranged husband Brian McDermott.

I believe I've found Jean's appearance in Shades of White and will attempt a comparison in my next post.
      Last edited by cornershop15; 23rd February 2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Re: Jean Seagrove

Difficult to prove there is a likeness between these tiny images from John VII, Verse 24
        and Shades of White, where Jean (?) is in black and white, smiling and has her hair down:

Name:	Jean Seagrove comparison in episodes of Public Eye.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	68135

The full picture with our subject far away at the back in this tea room scene with Sheila Allen and Alfred Burke:

Name:	Public Eye - Shades of White 1.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	68136

The lady hidden behind her cup is, I'm quite sure, Vi Kane:

Name:	Vi Kane in Public Eye - Shades of White.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	68137

Comment

Leila Hart

Evoking memories of Britt Ekland in The Wicker Man, Leila is briefly seen as 'The Landlord's Daughter'
          in this mini-musical scene from a 1980 episode of The Two Ronnies. Her father is played by Fred Lucas:

Name:	Leila Hart with Fred Lucas in The Two Ronnies - Series 8 Episode 2.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	68173

That credited
          appearance helped me identify her as one of the nurses in How About a Cup of Tea? (1975):

Name:	Leila Hart with Ray Smith in Public Eye - How About a Cup of Tea.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	68174

Ray Smith, in his last Public Eye episode, is visiting Marker in hospital, following his attack in a barber shop.

Cropped for Movie Dude, in the hope he'll create a page for her:

Name:	Leila Hart in Public Eye - How About a Cup of Tea  and The Two Ronnies - Series 8 Episode 2.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	68175

The uncredited cast list states that the other two nurses are played by Penny Lambeth (or maybe
          Lambirth?) and Monique Bryant, who is familiar enough for me to confirm she's NOT one of them.

Comment

Marvellous stuff, cornershop! In the original thread, you've already given us good coverage of the multiple roles played by extras in "The Beater and the Game" (obviously some of the Thames records don't give individual role attributions), but at that time, we all thought this gentleman was Terry Rendell (or Terry Rendle) with barman George played by Hubert Rees:

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-02-26-18h15m08s016.png
Views:	371
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	68242

When in fact we now know he's Billy John. He does his bit in the episode as a hotel guest, pub patron and passerby and ironically and confusingly, Terry Rendell is listed in the extras section too! I think there's still conjecture as to who Terry is, but by a process of elimination, it's possible he's the gent with moustache in the far background (with Billy John just out of shot!), (left) because Terry is the only other extra in this in common with the Elders extras in DOCTOR WHO "Planet of Fire" from 13 years later (right):

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-02-26-18h16m01s527.png
Views:	373
Size:	584.1 KB
ID:	68243Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-02-26-18h26m57s661.png
Views:	386
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	68244

As cornershop mentioned before, John More is in "The Beater and the Game" as well, although he's listed as "John Moore".

Comment

Thanks, Gerald. The man with the moustache behind Terence Rigby (above) is definitely Garth Watkins:

Name:	Garth Watkins in Public Eye - John VII, Verse 24.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	68257

From the episode John VII, Verse 24

I remember the Billy John/Terry Rendell confusion at the old thread. Significantly, Movie Dude has only two 'identifications' of the latter, one of which ( bottom left) is a brilliant match for the Beater and the Game image. They could ALL be the same man. Is there a chance he really is Terry Rendell (seeing as he's named in the uncredited cast list) or do you have confirmation that he's Billy John?

The Pure Hell of St. Trinian's (1960)/Nobody Kills Santa Claus:

Name:	Billy John comparisons.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	68256

Interpol Calling- The Collector (1960)/The Beater and the Game

Comment

The Terry Rendell (Rendall/Rendle)-Billy John debate continues: they're both in "The Beater and the Game" and years later, THE CRIMSON PERMANENT ASSURANCE. I think it was Dave or philly who put up a Spotlight picture of Billy John, possibly on the old forum, and it's definitely the chap in the pub picture in post #7 and all four of the group of those in your post #8. There is a lookalike - Movie Dude's Unknown Male 10 - but as far as I know, it's not considered he is Terry: certainly, he's never been seen in any of the "Terry Rendell within groups of extras" that have been examined.

Comment

I am familiar with Unknown Male 10. So many images yet still without a name.

Optimistic that your unidentified passer-by in Doctor Who -
                  Spearhead from Space, Part 1 is Public Eye extra Joy Burnett:

Name:	Joy Burnett, possibly, in Doctor Who - Spearhead from Space, Part 1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	68577

She is in the uncredited cast list for Come Into the Garden, Rose,
                  which was also recorded in 1970. The hairstyles appear similar ...

Name:	Joy Burnett, possibly, with Alfred Burke in Public Eye - Come Into the Garden, Rose.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	68578

Alfred Burke behind the display window.

A more straightforward identification here. Penny Price in It's a Woman's Privilege (taped in 1972):

Name:	Penny Price in Public Eye - It's a Woman's Privilege.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	68579

'Secretary'? I thought that was Yvonne Gilan (to James Laurimore)? Unless she's Brian Deacon's.

Cool addition - Penny graced the Daily Express's William Hickey column on 31st December 1971:

Name:	Penny Price - Daily Express, 31st December 1971.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	68580

Comment

Curiously enough, it's "Come into the Garden, Rose" I wanted to mentioned today as well. I'm not sure about Joy Burnett, cornershop, as she's only in Episode Four of "Spearhead from Space" and that DOCTOR WHO image is from Episode One. The BBC records are often notoriously unreliable but they list Rachel Hipwood and Marie Johnson as the only unplaced female extras for that episode and sadly neither of those ladies are on the "Rose" extras list.

Brian Nolan you spotted in this before (he's in "Spearhead from Space" too!); Brian's in the pub and later in the hotel, but in white hat, this seems to be Pearl Walters in the tearoom (and later on she pitches up in the Home):

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-03-05-18h01m30s661.png
Views:	339
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	68585

Having tea too is Stenson Falcke on the upper level. He's about the only one there not wearing a hat!:

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-03-05-18h00m36s921.png
Views:	327
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	68586

Did you ever resolve the identification of Ron Tingley in CALLAN? He's in "Rose" as well, and I'm wondering if this is he wearing glasses in the background in the latter pub scene:

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-03-05-18h04m24s488.png
Views:	330
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	68587

This man is also a hotel guest later on. The only other alternative would be Peter Holmes.

Comment

A shame about the unsuccessful comparison with Joy Burnett. It looked to be a good match. Her IMDb credit for the Doctor Who serial will have to be changed then if it's mistakenly listed as Episode 1. Obviously I didn't get round to posting my captures of Stenson Falcke and Pearl Walters at the old forum. The former is identical.

Re: Ron Tingley

The man with the glasses in your last screencap has to be Cy Town, who is behind Alfred Burke here:

Name:	Public Eye - Come Into the Garden Rose 1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	68593

The mysterious Peter Holmes on the right?

I think that's Ron Tingley between Alfie and barman John
                      Devaut. Comparison with the Callan image you alluded to:

Name:	Ron Tingley in Callan - That'll Be the Day and Public Eye - Come Into the Garden Rose.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	68594

Ron's (?) face is revealed when Cy Town joins him at the bar:

Name:	Cy Town, left, and possibly Ron Tingley in Public Eye - Come Into the Garden, Rose.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	68595
                      '

Back to that Callan picture (from That'll Be the Day). It's possible they were reunited as Cy is facing our subject:

Name:	Callan - That'll Be the Day 3.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	68596

Makes a change to see Lewis Alexander (left) and John Tatum being outshone by the lesser known Brychan Powell.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-2019-03-05-18h04m24s488.png Views:	13 Size:	250.5 KB ID:	68587

I'm pretty sure that's not Cy Town in the glasses at the back there. I'm wondering if it is the gentleman on the right next to Cy in your image below - maybe Peter Holmes - who has borrowed Cy's glasses!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cy Town, left, and possibly Ron Tingley in Public Eye - Come Into the Garden, Rose.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	68595

Comment

• cornershop15
                          cornershop15 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We should point out that Anne Carroll, who sadly passed away not long ago, and screen husband Graham Armitage are next to Alfred Burke in the larger image.

Unknown Male 10
                        I have long thought that he is the actor known as George Feasey, the only evidence is a small out of focus shot in Monty Python's Flying Circus - How not to be Seen, broadcast in 1970, this is four years after the latest cap on UM10's page, if it is him, his hairline has continued to recede and he has grown the hair round the back of his head longer. George Feasey is also in a Public Eye episode (i forget which now), unfortunately it's a restaurant scene and he is a customer and none of them are identifiable, all out of focus, he is also probably George Seasey in a Mystery and Imagination episode, again there are more names in the booklet than are spotted in the scene, no-one looks like UM10 or the Monty Python George.

Comment

At least we know that's Cy Town with the extra I've 'pencilled in' as Ron Tingley, who is even more elusive in my screencaps from his IMDb-credited episodes of Villains and Doctor at Large. Where can he be (putting it politely)?

I think I've found Edith Saville in Come Into the Garden, Rose. Behind George Sewell and Madge Ryan:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Edith Saville behind George Sewell and Madge Ryan with Edith Savile in Public Eye - Come Into the Garden, Rose.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	68616

As she looked five years earlier in Gideon's Way - A Perfect Crime (1965):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Edith Saville in Gideon's Way - A Perfect Crime (1966).jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	68617

Credit to MovieDude.

Edith was Frank Dreycott's wife in an episode of The Gold Robbers.
                          A credited role that helped me identify the Mr. Carraway lookalike.

Comment

Working...
                          X