No announcement yet.

Extras in 'Public Eye' (continued)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a range of more familiar names down as extras in "Shades of White" (in shades of black and white as this is a monochrome episode, in fact the last one) but either cornershop has already identified them, including a beauty of a Ernest C. Jennings shot, or they can't be made out. Most of the extras will be presumably the younger set at Lesley-Anne Down's party, but in the tea room:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-04-16-20h51m17s190.png
Views:	113
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	70129

Keith Ashley can just about be spotted behind Sheila Allen

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-04-16-20h53m05s104.png
Views:	107
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	70130

And Lewis Alexander likewise. We can't see who he's having his fancy cakes with, but as Aileen Lewis is down as one of the extras and I couldn't see her anywhere else in the episode, maybe it's her.

Keith is also another of those passersby outside Frank Marker's office window and Lewis is in one of the pub scenes too.

Comment

We do have to ignore the tenet contained in "John VII. Verse 24", because judging by appearances, this is indeed John Beardmore as the pub customer between Ray Smith and Alfred Burke:

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-04-22-17h10m43s120.png
Views:	99
Size:	490.1 KB
ID:	70367

John does his stint as a passerby outside the windows too. The barman is Paul Phillips and another customer is Eden Fox, who also passes by the windows several times during the episode. The elusive Terry Rendell is listed for this one too, and there are no candidates for him unless he is this faintly-seen passerby on the far right, just over Alfie's shoulder:

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-04-22-17h18m14s528.png
Views:	88
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	70368

Comment

Onto series 6 now and Marker has to deal with "The Bankrupt":

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-11-18h59m36s463.png
Views:	77
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	72511

Here he listens in at a bankruptcy hearing where Hugh Sullivan is giving his best damning submission; George Ballantine is chinless to it all. George gets some succour as a pub patron later on

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-11-18h59m58s613.png
Views:	67
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	72512

Marker quickly looks for a refill at Hugh's expense. Eden Fox is concerned Paul Phillips is not the barman, but Paul does pop up as a betting shop cleaner and waiter as the episode unfolds. Eden does his passerby bit too

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-11-19h00m51s169.png
Views:	69
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	72513

Pondering the mysteries of life, or more likely the peculiarities of the laws of sequestration, we can just see a profile of Hugh Elton in the background. Hugh is also a passerby

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-11-19h01m23s215.png
Views:	72
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	72514

In the restaurant, Willy Bowman in the foreground hears no mention of the war. Tony Allen is mentioned as the waiter, but it looks nothing like him; possibly Thames records are as haphazard as the BBC's because there's a Roy Brett listed in the uncredited cast which is more likely to be Roy Brent.

Comment

Marker's task is to find the "Girl in Blue", blue movie that is. Someone who is not at all pleased to see in in that:

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-18-18h25m04s323.png
Views:	48
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	72860

Is her father Richard Leech. He ponders if that is Gilly Flower also in the hotel bar, and it is. She might also be in the later tea shop scene

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-18-18h25m28s790.png
Views:	41
Size:	515.0 KB
ID:	72861

Marker's in a sleazy Soho pub with sleazy John Lyons. Although it's only his back of head, I reckon the heavy-set customer behind them is Charles Finch, sleazy or otherwise

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-18-18h25m49s624.png
Views:	42
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	72862

Here's the tea shop scene and there's Charles Rayford (Wrayford in the Thames records, it seems) enjoying his scone and Earl Grey. Marcia Warren is the too in-your-face waitress

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-18-18h26m31s053.png
Views:	40
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	72863

Only a bit of face beyond Marker and Percy Firbank, but the chum of Rodney Cardiff (identified by cornershop previously) who's imbibing at the White Swan is Barry Kennington.

Three and a half years late, cornershop, but I think that is indeed Salo Gardner as the dirty bookshop customer with hair!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
            Three and a half years late, cornershop, but I think that is indeed Salo Gardner
            Glad you agree, Gerald. I remember being very surprised that Scott (Palmer) wasn't convinced:

Name:	Salo Gardner with Alfred Burke in Public Eye - Girl in Blue.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	72971

My enthusiasm for identifying extras comes and goes, and it's difficult to keep up when I'm preoccupied with other things. Thank you for all your efforts so far. You said it was a "process of elimination" that made you think Margaret McKechnie is the woman behind Alfred Burke in this scene from Ward of Court. Here is an old screencap from 2015 that's finally become useful:

Name:	Margaret McKechnie with Alfred Burke in Public Eye - Ward of Court.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	72970

On the right, an even less clear image from Doctor at Large
            - It's the Rich Wot Get the Pleasure, also recorded in 1971):

Name:	Margaret McKechnie comparison.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	72972

Same woman, I reckon.

Do you recognise her from Doctor Who, Gerald? She played an 'Android Barmaid' in one episode.

Comment

That's Margaret all right, cornershop, excellent confirmation. She was a robot barmaid in Tom Baker's "The Android Invasion" in 1975, one of only two DOCTOR WHO serials Terry Nation wrote without including Daleks, and she was also one of the duff Metebelis Three villagers in Jon Pertwee's last, "Planet of the Spiders" in 1974.

"Process of elimination" (as opposed to "Terrynation") has worked quite well when we have the uncredited cast lists to hand and there are others in that list who we know already. I know that our good friend philly finds it helpful too.

That first pub image I don't think is Salo Gardner, though, but I agree with you it's Salo in the dirty bookshop scene later on.

Comment

I see what you mean now, having been reminded of this capture at the original thread:

So who is the guy in the pub scene - Cy Wallace? One of the adult paperbacks, by the way, is A Cold
                Wind in August
                , filmed a decade earlier with Peter Gunn stars Lola Albright and Herschel Bernardi.

Comment

Cy Wallace is a familiar name, but not a familiar face yet, cornershop.

For reference, some faces to match up some familiar names perhaps in "Many a Slip" (and I hope there are not too many of those), conveniently from the list which gives the extras role attributions:

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-25-18h34m02s852.png
Views:	9
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	73244

Joan Harsant as a friendly library clerkess

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-25-18h36m47s963.png
Views:	6
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	73245

In a pub scene already covered by cornershop, Steve Ismay, Laurence Archer, Kevin Moran and David Billa. In addition to his roles on the list, Laurence is also one of the ubiquitous passersby. Nice jacket, David

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-25-18h37m38s150.png
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	73246

Ken Halliwell as the 'Freezer' man on the right, his fellow dealing with Ann Curthoys being the credited David Ellison

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-06-25-18h38m18s013.png
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	73247

And this is the Vi Delma(r) who plays Dr. Michael Culver's patient.

Maybe my slip, but I didn't see the listed Fred Davis and Ricky Lansing (who IS in a pub scene) as dustmen.

Comment

Working...
                  X