Extras Agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extras Agents

I've noticed that in any film where Anthony Lang appears, Fred Wood inevitably appears too.

I was just wondering, do extras have agents too (like regular actors). If so, I wondered if maybe Anthony & Fred shared the same agent.

I think they would have received their jobs through Central Casting, actors who were Equity members had specific agents like Denton de Gray.

Comment

It's a grey area,Luke,in them days most film extras only work through film artistes association/ central casting ...if they were a little more ambitious they had a TV walk-ons agent such as Denton de grey..FredWoods of course was a well-known Type so he would be singled out by casting directors or assistant directors who called for him to be in a certain movie (for example Fred was in a number of Hammer movies so he would be known to the studio's personnel).I don't know what the setup,is today as so many movies and TV stuff are made out of London.

Comment

Originally posted by John Skinner View Post
        It's a grey area,Luke,in them days most film extras only work through film artistes association/ central casting ...if they were a little more ambitious they had a TV walk-ons agent such as Denton de grey..FredWoods of course was a well-known Type so he would be singled out by casting directors or assistant directors who called for him to be in a certain movie (for example Fred was in a number of Hammer movies so he would be known to the studio's personnel).I don't know what the setup,is today as so many movies and TV stuff are made out of London.
        Thanks John. I suppose also, that both Fred & Anthony Lang had faces that were suited to horror films and the like. No disrespect intended to them. I don't think I have ever heard either of them speak, so there must also be some rule as to what differentiates an extra from an actor. Not just whether it is a speaking part, but some sort of physical/ facial action. Like a look of surprise / disgust etc

I thought of Lucy Griffiths as an extra, but she very often has dialogue albeit maybe only one line.

Comment

Lucy Griffith would be classed as an actress, I think, Luke, albeit a small part one. She was a friend of Margaret Rutherford and that's why she's in a number of her films, agents and assistant directors notwithstanding.

At times, there seems to be classifications as WO1 and WO2 , i.e. walk-ons who may have more business to do than the extras. John may be able to clarify this.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the info.

That all makes sense. I see Lucy Griffith had a Spotlight entry, whereas Fred & Anthony, being extras, did not.

Comment

Working...
            X