Sighted: Ah There You Are!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

The IMDb doesn't care if people have a speaking role or not. They only care about the credits. Everyone must have at least one credited appearance to be listed. Once they are listed for one role then their uncredited work can also be listed.

Steve

But I've added people to the imdb in an uncredited role and that seems to be their only ever appearance on celluloid.

E.

Comment

• Originally posted by Euryale View Post

But I've added people to the imdb in an uncredited role and that seems to be their only ever appearance on celluloid.

E.
      Yes, you can do that. If they don’t have any credited appearances then they won’t be seen in the listings. Until they do get a credited appearance when all of their uncredited appearances will be listed. It’s all done by magic

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Yes, you can do that. If they don’t have any credited appearances then they won’t be seen in the listings. Until they do get a credited appearance when all of their uncredited appearances will be listed. It’s all done by magic

Steve
        But the ones I've done - I can see them right there in the cast list!

E.

Comment

• Steve seems to think that you need to have at least one on screen credit before you can list the uncredited appearances on the IMDB but I think (chastise me if I'm wrong) he's incorrect about this because there are quite a few extras such as Hyma Beckley* who were never credited on screen yet have IMDB pages.

* If I'm wrong about Beckley there are plenty of other extras to pick from.

Comment

• I was thinking the same thing Marcus.
            I think it's down to if they trust you as a contributor. As you say, there are many entrants without a credit to their name that have been accepted for inclusion on Imdb.
            I personally created the entries for Jack Sharp and Josie Green and they have not been removed.

Comment

• To return to Nick Dando's question for a second. I watched it on Sony Pictures Classic and it was called The Detective with no Father Brown prefix.

Comment

• Hello everyone, new poster here but I've been keeping tabs on this website for ages now- you've all done an absolutely outstanding job of identifying all these long lost extras! As a fan of Titanic movies, I'm especially amazed by the work that's been done on A Night to Remember. Has anyone here seen the rather questionable S.O.S. Titanic (1979)? Filmed at Shepperton, so lots of British actors/extras involved, and some familiar uncredited faces-the Titanic's wireless operator for example is not listed in the credits or on imdb despite having dialogue! Any ideas who he is? Watched the movie recently but couldn't spot Eddie Powell as a "Steerage Passenger" either, despite what IMDb says...

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan) View Post
                  Steve seems to think that you need to have at least one on screen credit before you can list the uncredited appearances on the IMDB but I think (chastise me if I'm wrong) he's incorrect about this because there are quite a few extras such as Hyma Beckley* who were never credited on screen yet have IMDB pages.

* If I'm wrong about Beckley there are plenty of other extras to pick from.
                  It's not what I think, it's the IMDb's rules

Although I see the Hyma also has dates of birth & death added and a mini-bio. Maybe that's a way of getting round the rules?

Where you spot things like that you should send a note to the IMDb to ask them to check.
                  The contents of the IMDb are set by us, the film fans. If you spot anything wrong, you should always ask them to check it.

Steve

Comment

• There are, I'm sure, guidelines and rules which have been adopted to maintain the integrity of the IMDb information. Most of the critical comments here are from people who know what they are talking about, yet are sometimes thwarted in their attempts to add or correct the information on IMDb. That must be frustrating, but it is probably what they call a "vocal minority", where the rules are protecting the precious resource from corruption by evil scalliwags who enjoy spoiling everything good with their juvenile antics. Wikipedia used to suffer from that all the time, which lead them to tighten up their rules forcontributors. Similarly, that put a lot of people off, reducing the active participation... but made for a lot less flame wars and the reliability of wikipedia rose dramatically.

I've contributed to IMDb little by little over the years and it feels great to see my tiny additions added to the whole. I'm still a little bitter that the discussion pages for each film got taken away (outsourced to a woefully inadequate replacement, best left forgotten) as they were sometimes filled with brilliant insight and thought provoking debate. I understood the rationale for the decision (monitoring/moderating those discussions was a headache no-one could afford), but still sad for the loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                      but made for a lot less flame wars and the reliability of wikipedia rose dramatically.
                      But it still isn't very reliable

The IMDb is generally more reliable because all submissions have to be approved by moderators and they are better at banning contributors who repeatedly submit false information.

Steve

Comment

• Aiden Harrington's IMDB is a complete fabrication as confirmed by Scott Palmer and others who have spoken to the family. It's the same absolute, made-up rubbish on his Wikepedia page. The people who posted on the IMDB are down as the Harrington family. Serious question Steve, how do you think this garbage was accepted?

Philly posted this ages ago which proves the IMDB biography is rubbish.

"Aidan Harrington's friend, the author Scott Palmer has asked me to post this.

Aidan Harrington, the man i knew, was completely different from the info listed at IMDb. When he died, his wife was still living, but in bad shape. He NEVER acted on stage. He NEVER was in the United States. He knew from when he was very young that he wanted to be a film extra, and began working on Ivanhoe in 1951, although it was not released until after a number of other films he worked on. He kept call sheets from just about every production he worked on, he appeared in well over a thousand films-the names of which he told me. So obviously the Aidan Harrington on IMDb is a completely different man, although some of our man's credits have been erroneously recorded there."

There is no record of an Aiden Harrington with the illustrious career as described on IMDB. Someone is taking the p**s but why and how do they get away with it?
                        Last edited by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan); 9 July 2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcusHeslop(Stonfan) View Post
                          Aiden Harrington's IMDB is a complete fabrication as confirmed by Scott Palmer and others who have spoken to the family. It's the same absolute, made-up rubbish on his Wikepedia page. The people who posted on the IMDB are down as the Harrington family. Serious question Steve, how do you think this garbage was accepted?
                          Simple, it was accepted because they don’t know any different.

If you submit something that proves it is incorrect, not just that you say it’s incorrect, but that proves it with citations to reputable sources. So stay away from Wikedpedia and don’t use any emotive terms like “complete fabrication”. Just give them citeable facts.

Steve
                          Last edited by Steve Crook; 9 July 2020, 01:53 PM. Reason: Damn auto spell correct!!

Comment

• Thanks Steve. Solid advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by James Thomas View Post
                              Hello everyone, new poster here but I've been keeping tabs on this website for ages now- you've all done an absolutely outstanding job of identifying all these long lost extras! As a fan of Titanic movies, I'm especially amazed by the work that's been done on A Night to Remember. Has anyone here seen the rather questionable S.O.S. Titanic (1979)? Filmed at Shepperton, so lots of British actors/extras involved, and some familiar uncredited faces-the Titanic's wireless operator for example is not listed in the credits or on imdb despite having dialogue! Any ideas who he is? Watched the movie recently but couldn't spot Eddie Powell as a "Steerage Passenger" either, despite what IMDb says...
                              Welcome to the finest movie site on Earth James. I've seen SOS Titanic, interestingly David Warner is in it and Cameron's Titanic. I think it was Philly who spotted the most people in A Night to Remember. I've been on this extras forum since 2008 but Philly, Gerald etc have disturbingly keen eyes for spotting the most obscure of names. I'm still a novice!

Comment

• Welcome, James Thomas: philly is the absolute supreme and tireless expert on A Night to Remember. As for S.O.S. TITANIC, quite a few uncredited cast members have been identified on here, and Peter Bourke is credited as Assistant Wireless Operator Harold Bride, but is there another actor you have in mind?

Comment

Working...
                                X