Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Some very nice shots of Denham Studios - 'The Volunteer' - 1943

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some very nice shots of Denham Studios - 'The Volunteer' - 1943

Roughly 8 minutes in - some familiar faces as well.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-the-volunteer-1943/

Great stuff - must look all the way through it when I get the chance.

Comment

The film is only a short (45 mins) but it's a fun look at Ralph Richardson as an actor and as an RNVR pilot. Also Pat McGrath as the titular Volunter who is Ralpie's dresser in the theatre and keeps messing up. But then he volunteers for the Fleet Air Arm and becomes a hero

Scenes at Denham include Anna Neagle leaving the studio and Laurence Olivier impersonating a fish outside the Denham restaurant window

And Michael Powell himself as a photographer outside Buck House when Pat picks up his medal

The Volunteer is available on the Criterion DVD of 49th Parallel
      Along with "A Pretty British Affair", a BBC documentary on the careers of Powell and Pressburger, which considers their WWII-era collaborations and features rare footage of the filmmakers together

Steve

Comment

The Volunteer was very well made and entertaining and Michael Powell managed to get a short cameo in it, which would have been easy to arrange with him being the joint producer and director. I've just been looking through my Stoke on Trent area film programme records for that period and find that it was released on the Rank circuit and was shown for six days at the Odeon, Hanley, on Monday, February 21st, 1944, as the support to the Fred Astaire picture The Sky's The Limit. I also noticed that early on in the film, Ralph Richardson appeared to be wearing the same hat; suit and raincoat that he wore in The Fallen Idol four years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
          Scenes at Denham include Anna Neagle leaving the studio
          with Herbert Wilcox.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
            The Volunteer was very well made and entertaining and Michael Powell managed to get a short cameo in it, which would have been easy to arrange with him being the joint producer and director.
            Powell's films were always made as cheaply as possible. In quite a few of his films there was a small role which he took himself. These aren't "Hitchcock style cameos", but just Powell himself taking a role that he didn't have anyone else for. He started his life in film before the camera as an actor so it was no problem for him

I also noticed that early on in the film, Ralph Richardson appeared to be wearing the same hat; suit and raincoat that he wore in The Fallen Idol four years later.
            As I said, Powell's films were all made as cheaply as was practically possible. In various films people wore their own clothes or even some of Powell's

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X