X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Aardman top twenty

Discuss!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...t-films-ranked

I recall the advert that featured the plasticene character singing Jackie Wilson's "Reet Pettite".
    There were some comments that it was an insult to the memory of a great soul singer!

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post
      I recall the advert that featured the plasticene character singing Jackie Wilson's "Reet Pettite".
      There were some comments that it was an insult to the memory of a great soul singer!
      Yeah I remember that.

Most people I knew at the time who had seen it were either ambivalent about it or thought it was quite funny/clever. I don't think it occurred to any of us it might be racist.

Could it be perceived as anything other than racist today?

Discuss!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post

Yeah I remember that.

Most people I knew at the time who had seen it were either ambivalent about it or thought it was quite funny/clever. I don't think it occurred to any of us it might be racist.

Discuss!
        It'd be in there with Gollywogs & the Black & White Minstrels.
        Time & opinions change!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post

Discuss!
          No not really perceiced to be racist as it is still being played on Music channels and is still a classic tune!!

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

No not really perceiced to be racist as it is still being played on Music channels and is still a classic tune!!
            The original advert with the made of clay soul singer figure could maybe be seen as being racist to some people!

Comment

Out of those twenty films, I've only watched a handful of them including Chicken Run, The Curse of The Were-Rabbit, the four Wallace & Gromit shorts and Creature Comforts. I can't help but admire the hard and painstaking work that's involved in the making of these films, and the attention to detail is phenomenal. It's a great shame Peter Sallis is no longer around.

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

The original advert with the made of clay soul singer figure could maybe be seen as being racist to some people!
                Then that would be their problem then!!

If it had a white person made of clay would it be the same? I do not think so!!

Comment

Working...
                X