X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Losey....

How he was paying the bills in 1959:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW58y-2zO3w&t=521s

I suppose that was Johnny Dankworth providing the root-tootely sounds and garish trumpet and pseudo-'sexy' saxophone.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
      I suppose that was Johnny Dankworth providing the root-tootely sounds and garish trumpet and pseudo-'sexy' saxophone.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	emotions11.gif
Views:	2
Size:	269 Bytes
ID:	47618

Comment

Well I must say I'm no fan of Losey.

I can appreciate elements in his films ... those elements contributed by others in the production.

And I hear those who insist that Losey expressed the zeitgeist of the age (the age being years 1963 to 1968).

Comment

Originally posted by alan gowdy View Post
          How he was paying the bills in 1959:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW58y-2zO3w&t=521s
          Originally posted by alan gowdy View Post
          Even the great Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman made film commercials, a series of nine for Bris soap, during the Swedish film strike of 1951, because he had three families to support (including alimony to two ex-wives).
          Last edited by agutterfan; 9th December 2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I guess Joseph Losey had four wives to maintain.

Comment

I liked the films he made at RKO but was less thrilled at his British ones.

Comment

"The Boy With Green Hair”, an anti-war film starring Dean Stockwell that Losey filmed in three-strip Technicolor at RKO in 1948, is still an excellent film, although the views expressed in the film got him blacklisted in Hollywood as a communist and that's why he moved to England.

Click image for larger version  Name:	THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR IN THE WOODS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	51391

Comment

Dean Stockwell there looks like The Joker as a boy.

Comment

Dean, of course, wore a green wig in the film, although it was supposed to be his real hair. Unfortunately for Losey, the eccentric, politically conservative Howard Hughes took over RKO while this film was being shot and, hating the film's pacifist message, did his best to sabotage it. Losey, however, managed to protect the integrity of his project. Screenwriter Ben Barzman, who was also later blacklisted along with Losey, would later recall that "Joe shot the picture in such a way that there wasn't much possibility for change. A few lines were stuck in here and there to soften the message, but that was about it". Barzman also remembered that 12-year-old Dean Stockwell was called into Hughes' office and Hughes told him that when the other children spoke of the horror of war, he should say, "And that's why America has gotta have the biggest army, and the biggest navy, and the biggest air force in the world!" According to Barzman, little Stockwell was so in sympathy with the film's message that he dared to respond, "No, sir!" Even after Hughes started to scream at him, the boy held his ground and refused to do it. The film was not a commercial success and its release in Great Britain was held back until 1950. But its haunting theme song, “Nature Boy”, became a huge international hit and has since become a pop standard.

Comment

Interesting stuff, DBF! I encountered Dean Stockwell at an autograph fair as few years ago, but although his hair wasn't green, it was probably darker than you'd expect for a man of his age.

Comment

Maybe he'd dyed it, Gerald. He'll be 82 in a few months. I have heard that he's had a series of strokes and is now in a nursing home.
                        Last edited by darrenburnfan; 12th December 2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X