Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Stanley Kubrick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Kubrick

Just how Jewish was Stanley Kubrick?

Author Nathan Abrams examines the legendary director's Jewish identity

Jewish Chronicle:
    https://www.thejc.com/culture/film/s...ing%20software

Does it matter? It may be of passing interest to the Jewish community, hence the source of the article, but otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
      Does it matter? It may be of passing interest to the Jewish community, hence the source of the article, but otherwise?
      You're right, it's a bit of a niche interest. To me it's up there with the Painter and Decorators Monthly asking 'Was Kubrick into DIY?' - and, if so, how much DIY did he actually do.

Comment

I'm not Jewish, but I found the article very interesting....... thank you j-c.

If your parents are Jewish, then you're Jewish. It's a race as well as a religion.
        (What I don't understand is why you're not Jewish if your father is and your mother is not. It's only recognised through the mother.)

"Kubrick was more than just Jewish by birth. He was a Jew by culture and feeling, but not religious." That sums it up, really.

Comment

Our religion always passed through the female line.To me the fact that Kaddish was said at his lavish days it all.(Not a typo,yiddish)

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
            Our religion always passed through the female line.
            Yes, but I don't understand why it is so. I realise it's traditional, but why should the father's Jewishness be considered less significant than the mother's?
            Well, it's a rhetorical question I suppose, because I don't think there would be a logical answer, which so often is the way with tradition. 'It is because it is' sort of thing.

To me the fact that Kaddish was said at his lavish says it all. (Not a typo, yiddish)
            It might not have been his own wish; it could have been the decision of his widow and children after he died.
            But whatever, he didn't deny his Jewishness, he just wasn't religious. He never even had his bar mitzvah.

Lavish---- do you mean "levaye"? I can't find a connection between "lavish" and "funeral" on the web.

Comment

Sorry it's my flaming kindle.tomorrow I am going out to buy a samsung.It should have been lavoya

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                Sorry it's my flaming kindle.tomorrow I am going out to buy a samsung.It should have been lavoya
                Well, now I'm finding it's "lavaya.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Well, now I'm finding it's "lavaya.

Or even “levaya”

Steve

Comment

Oh yes, you are right, Steve.
                    And I don't even have a flaming kindle!

I love Yiddish words, such as schmuk, schlump, schlepp, schtick, putz, klutz, chutzpa, nosh, and oy veh!

Comment

Reading about Russell Metty and his remark via "Jewish Chronicle", it's a wonder that Metty wasn't dumped by Hollywood. I'm not Jewish, but I would have found that remark offensive. From my reading of Kubrick, he never denied being Jewish, but just got on with his work, didn't suffer fools gladly as he was, as everyone knows a perfectionist in his film making.

Comment

Originally posted by CliveT View Post
                        Reading about Russell Metty and his remark via "Jewish Chronicle", it's a wonder that Metty wasn't dumped by Hollywood. I'm not Jewish, but I would have found that remark offensive. From my reading of Kubrick, he never denied being Jewish, but just got on with his work, didn't suffer fools gladly as he was, as everyone knows a perfectionist in his film making.
                        Metty wouldn't have been dumped for making a remark like that in 1960. Back then the only "PC"was a Police Constable. You could get away with being rude, offensive and disrespectful and not even feel any shame.

Comment

No, I don't suppose Metty wouldn't have been dumped-as he was an experience cameraman and Kubrick, working on his first major epic film, probably needed Metty. But, after finishing Spartacus, he never filmed in Hollywood again, which to me, says it all.

Comment

Religion, are we going to bring it into this website for discussion? I myself, have been asked, am I Jewish, I guess my last name, may sound jewish. My religion, Protestant, who cares, we’ll one thing I can say about the Jewish faith, how many times do you hear of Jewish teenager in trouble with the law? A rarity, so let’s leave religion out of this website.

Comment

Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                              Religion, are we going to bring it into this website for discussion? I myself, have been asked, am I Jewish, I guess my last name, may sound jewish. My religion, Protestant, who cares, we’ll one thing I can say about the Jewish faith, how many times do you hear of Jewish teenager in trouble with the law? A rarity, so let’s leave religion out of this website.
                              Sorry Derick, but I don't think you've got the gist of this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X