Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Muriel Box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muriel Box

i have just read an article on Muriel. Another story of women not getting the recognition they deserve in the world of film. Many actresses experienced this as well. Good to see Muriel mentioned. I love The Happy Family, it has Kathleen Harrison and Dandy Nichols in it. Excellent actresses, great film.

Was it this one?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-never-head-of

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick, yes it was.

Comment

I read her autobiography many, many years ago and I remember being disappointed at a bland and uninteresting read. I still have it in my garage at home somewhere, maybe its time to go back and reassess.

Comment

She may not have had an exciting life but she was still a good underrated female director. Ignored largely.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
            She may not have had an exciting life but she was still a good underrated female director. Ignored largely.
            I wasn't commenting on either her life or her work, googlefan, just the quality of the writing (or ghost working, perhaps).

Comment

Oh I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Comment

Oh I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
                No worries. I will dig it out and give it another go, now that I am older and have more patience. I have Sidney's book as well, a biography, I think, but I have no recollection of reading that at all- so at least I formed an opinion on Muriel!

Comment

You better find this book as the one available copy is going for £568 on Amazon!

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                    You better find this book as the one available copy is going for £568 on Amazon!
                    WHAT!?! Under what circumstances would someone want the book so badly as to pay that price? It's suddenly jumped to the top of my 'to do' list. Second on the list is to get it onto eBay!

Comment

Someone in America has just put on a copy for £139
                      Still a good price

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                        Someone in America has just put on a copy for £139
                        Still a good price
                        Haven't these people ever heard of the public library?

Comment

Yes but libraries are closing down. Ours has gone not everyone lives were there are lots of facilities, resources or transport.

Comment

Yes but libraries are closing down. Ours has gone not everyone lives were there are lots of facilities, resources or transport.
                            It was intended as a facetious comment. But I would have to want a book VERY badly to pay that sort of money for it.

Comment

Yes I would too. I’d pay a lot of money for some things though. Depending on what it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X