Muriel Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
    Yes I would too. I’d pay a lot of money for some things though. Depending on what it was.
    Out of curiosity, what subject matter would you pay, say £150, for?

Comment

Queenie Watts album she made on Columbia records. I’d want it on CD and download. What about you?

Comment

Queenie Watts album she made on Columbia records. I’d want it on CD and download. What about you?
        I wasn't thinking about music but I paid £120 for the Bob Dylan deluxe Troube No More box set this time last year, and I'll be doing the same this weekend for the new boxset. I have spent £50-£60 for books in the past but not for a while. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a book that I would pay £150+ for.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

I wasn't thinking about music but I paid £120 for the Bob Dylan deluxe Troube No More box set this time last year, and I'll be doing the same this weekend for the new boxset. I have spent £50-£60 for books in the past but not for a while. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a book that I would pay £150+ for.
          Not even a signed autobiography by Michael Powell (The English printing of the first edition with dust jacket)? A Life in Movies?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Not even a signed autobiography by Michael Powell (The English printing of the first edition with dust jacket)? A Life in Movies?

Steve
            Not a big fan of horror movies, I'm afraid

Comment

Not a big fan of horror movies, I'm afraid
              Neither am I. I see enough horror in the News.
              But Michael Powell was a good writer as well as a good film-maker

Steve

Comment

Neither am I. I see enough horror in the News.
                But Michael Powell was a good writer as well as a good film-maker

Steve
                I got Million Dollar Movie in paperback when it came out, back in the day. Thought it a bit rambling, a better editor might have helped, with the odd interesting tidbit dotted amongst lots of less than interesting tidbits. I haven't looked at it since, or felt any inclination to do so, and thus I can't offer more insightful criticism. From what I remember I don't recognise your description of a good writer.

Comment

From what I remember I don't recognise your description of a good writer.
                  Oh dear
                  We'll have to agree to disagree on that (& so much else)

Steve

Comment

Oh dear
                    We'll have to agree to disagree on that (& so much else)

Steve
                    I respect your right to be wrong on this one

Comment

I respect your right to be wrong on this one
                      Shock, Horror, but everything written on this forum is just an opinion. Even things written by me

Anyone can have any opinion and nobody should be shot for expressing their opinion

Steve

Comment

If I didn’t already have She knows you know the Hylda Baker Story by Jean Fergusson I’d pay good money for that. I know it’s on e bay for a reasonable amount. The book is excellent. I saw the play and heard the radio play on Radio 4. I don’t think it’s ever been repeated which is a shame. I’d pay good money to see the play again.

Comment

If I didn’t already have She knows you know the Hylda Baker Story by Jean Fergusson I’d pay good money for that. I know it’s on e bay for a reasonable amount. The book is excellent. I saw the play and heard the radio play on Radio 4. I don’t think it’s ever been repeated which is a shame. I’d pay good money to see the play again.
                          Interesting choice. I am afraid I am largely ignorant of Hylda Baker, beyond Nearest and Dearest, which I disliked.

Comment

She was great, just like most female actors comedians or singers and just as underrated. The other thing I would spend money on is the Queenie watts album. I’d pay a lot for the cd and download of that. Again another underrated woman.

Comment

She was great, just like most female actors comedians or singers and just as underrated. The other thing I would spend money on is the Queenie watts album. I’d pay a lot for the cd and download of that. Again another underrated woman.
                              I'm afraid the appeal of Hylda and Queenie bypassed me, maybe because by the time I was aware of them they had retreated into charactures. Beryl Reid was another who left me cold.

Comment

Carol Morley will be talking about Muriel Box on BBC Radio 4's The Film Programme. This is due to be broadcast at 16:00 - 16:30 GMT on 19/11/2020 and repeated on 22/11/2020 at 23:00 - 23:30 GMT.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ph4l

Comment

Working...
                                X