Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Christopher Nolan ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christopher Nolan ?

People seem to be suddenly saying that Christopher Nolan is the BEST British director of our time.

Is that so?

I don't know because I'm avoiding most current stuff. And I have only see one; Inception.

One can always argue about using the word 'best' or not.
    He's damned good though.

Comment

I watch a fair amount of new stuff and I would say Nolan is right up there. He has a very distinctive visual style and a penchant for complex narrative presentations, neither of which make him great, but combined with very natural, almost documentary, storytelling makes his movies compelling viewing. He reminds me a lot of a more commercially aware Nic Roeg. He is, IMO, one of the best directors, of any nationality, working in mainstream cinema today.

(I know Total Film had him in their list of best directors of all time.- which, admittedly, says more about his box office clout than the actual quality of his films)

Comment

Not the best, but he is a very good solid director IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Wales View Post
          Not the best, but he is a very good solid director IMHO
          Who would, in your opinion, deserve the accolade?

Comment

Who would, in your opinion, deserve the accolade?
            My friends and I were asking that very same question. I bowed out because, as I mentioned, I avoid most current stuff.

They talked about how people like Losey, Roeg, Greenaway, the Scotts burn brightly. They're lauded as great auteurs and as saviours of the British industry yet, somehow, they seem to lose their shine after 15 years or so.

Some suggested Stephen Frears as capable and as someone who doesn't impose his brand on the subject matter. I don't know.

Comment

John Hamilton wrote

"Who would, in your opinion, deserve the accolade?"

Answer: Nobody. There is no such thing as the best British director or American director, you can only judge the directors skills on a film by film basis.

Comment

John Hamilton wrote

Answer: Nobody. There is no such thing as the best British director or American director
                Not since Michael Powell died

Steve

Comment

John Hamilton wrote

"Who would, in your opinion, deserve the accolade?"

Answer: Nobody. There is no such thing as the best British director or American director, you can only judge the directors skills on a film by film basis.
                  Not sure I would agree. Directors can be judged on a body of work, delivering a consistently high standard. The very notion of 'best' in something as subjective as art is nonsense but since the question is canvassing a subjective response in the first place, then that is of no consequence.

Comment

"Directors can be judged on a body of work" so your basing your view on the law of averages LOL

Comment

I know next to nothing about modern films and I've never heard of Christopher Nolan, but as far as I'm concerned, Carol Reed; David Lean; Alexander Mackendrick; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger are up there with the greats of all time.

Comment

"Directors can be judged on a body of work" so your basing your view on the law of averages LOL
                        Clearly that is not what I am saying. Its intended as a bit of light discussion but if it's too difficult a concept for you. I withdraw the question.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
                          I don't know because I'm avoiding most current stuff.
                          Might I ask why?

Comment

• jamal.nazreddin
                            jamal.nazreddin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Here is my belated response to your question.

1. Not many current movie performers have the "magnetism" that others had. The only current British performer I can think of is Day-Lewis.

2. I get so dismayed that the current generation of films are more about animation than human beings.

The occasional human being might used to wear one of those 'Ping-Pong suits' in front of a Green Screen and then a thousand faceless workers come in to manipulate millions of pixels to make a pretence at reality. For instance, I think that the last Mad Max film had a 3 minute sequence manipulated by a 'secret' company in Korea and another 3 minute sequence manipulated by a 'secret' company in USA and another 3 minute sequence manipulated by a 'secret' company in Hungary and another 3 minute sequence manipulated by a 'secret' company in etc, etc. etc.

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                          I know next to nothing about modern films and I've never heard of Christopher Nolan, but as far as I'm concerned, Carol Reed; David Lean; Alexander Mackendrick; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger are up there with the greats of all time.
                          Carol who? David who? Alexander who?
                          Have any of them got a similar body of work to P&P?
                          One major feature film every year (how long does it take people to make a film nowadays?) from 1942 - 1951, most of them prize wining masterpieces
                          Plus many and various otther great films in between

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Carol who? David who? Alexander who?
                            Have any of them got a similar body of work to P&P?
                            One major feature film every year (how long does it take people to make a film nowadays?) from 1942 - 1951, most of them prize wining masterpieces
                            Plus many and various otther great films in between

Steve
                            You may be a tad bias, Steve.

Comment

Working...
                            X