Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Christopher Nolan ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post

You may be a tad bias, Steve.
    A tad, or totally biased

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

A tad, or totally biased

Steve
      I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'd say, out of the names mentioned, David Lean has the body of work to rival Powell, in quality if not quantity, and he is certainly as widely respected.

Comment

Carol; David and Sandy may not have made as many films as P & P, but what they did make was just as good and there are quite a few classics among them.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
          Carol; David and Sandy may not have made as many films as P & P, but what they did make was just as good and there are quite a few classics among them.
          Yes I agree that all 3 have had their moments of brilliance. But with P&P it was continuous brilliance for film after film for 10 or more years with a new and different film every year. I really love some of (or lots of) their films. But what really amazes me is their total body of work and the range of styles/genres they made their films in

Steve

Comment

I have spoken with my work colleagues about P & P.

The women gush in adoration of those "two wonderful Women's Films". And the men say they rather liked those "five excellent films highlighting all the best aspects of British masculine inventiveness".

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

Might I ask why?
              Certainly. But I'll need a bit of time to gather my thoughts as to why I'm avoiding most current stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
                I have spoken with my work colleagues about P & P.

The women gush in adoration of those "two wonderful Women's Films". And the men say they rather liked those "five excellent films highlighting all the best aspects of British masculine inventiveness".
                TWO wonderful women's films? I preume that Black Narcissus is one of them, what's the other one?
                Almost every film they made had great roles for women (except maybe Ill Met by Moonlight which didn't have any women in credited roles)

FIVE excellent films highlighting all the best aspects ...? Don't you mean at least 10?

At least most of them had heard of P&P
                My campaigns are bearing fruit

Stave

Comment

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post

Clearly that is not what I am saying. Its intended as a bit of light discussion but if it's too difficult a concept for you. I withdraw the question.
                  Are you having a bad time of late or are you naturally curt and rude?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Wales View Post

Are you having a bad time of late or are you naturally curt and rude?
                    Sorry to butt in here, but I don't think John Hamilton is the one being curt and rude in this exchange of views.

I'll now butt out.

Comment

He is curt and rude if you don't agree with him. I remember now why I stopped using this site in the past.

Comment

Getting back to topic

I think I would have to include Michael Powell AND David Lean as two great directors whose films fell out of fashion‚ along with those others I mentioned—

... Losey, Roeg, Greenaway, the Scotts burn brightly. They're lauded as great auteurs and as saviours of the British industry yet, somehow, they seem to lose their shine after 15 years or so.....
                        Anyway, I am preparing myself to see this new Nolan opus (I am saving up the equivalent of two restaurant meals and checking which cinema is showing it in one of three screen formats).

Comment

Getting back to topic

I think I would have to include Michael Powell AND David Lean as two great directors whose films fell out of fashion‚ along with those others I mentioned—
                          Michael Powell (& Emeric Pressburger) films "fell out of fasion"? Where?
                          They are still as popular as ever whenever they are shown

Steve

Comment

^ The world, 1952-1980.

Comment

^ The world, 1952-1980.
                              What are you saying here? Can we have some context, or a statement pleasea/

Steve

Comment

Losey was a cult director in the 60s and fell out of fashion in the 70s.
                                Roeg was a cult director in the 70s and fell out of fashion in the 80s seeming to hold on to fame for a while via his wife.
                                Greenaway was a cult director in the 70s and fell out of fashion in the 90s.
                                The great Lean fell out of fashion making no films between 1971 and 1985
                                The great Michael Powell fell out of fashion making smaller films with actors not of his choosing from 52 onwards. He became a cult director in the 80s.

IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X