Dead body's POV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead body's POV

Can anyone give an example of a film ( pre-1965 ) that uses shots from the point of view of a dead body being carried/moved?

Is this a quiz, or are you looking for a particular film ?

Comment

• Anthony McKay
      Anthony McKay commented
      Editing a comment
      This is taken from the script of a pre-1965 film, the sequence not used in the film:

INT.PARLOR - NIGHT - MOVING SHOT FROM POV OF THE DEAD WOMAN BEING CARRIED

We see the strangely carved lintel of the door, ODD ANGLES on the pink and gilt wallpaper, the gaslight fixture on the ceiling, a stuffed bird
      in a glass bell on the mantle.

There's an ABRUPT DIP as the body is placed on the couch.

The director uses a lot of common tropes in the film and I was wondering if he'd been inspired by a similar sequence in another film - the use of the stuffed bird in a bell jar also seems to be important to him. This is not mentioned in the script, but a 'parlour maid' is also present during the proceedings.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for an earlier film that may have contained a similar scene.
      Last edited by Anthony McKay; 28 July 2021, 12:09 AM.

The most famous example of a bodies point of view is the start of Sunset Boulevard, but i am faily sure he just floats, and the bit where he is fished out is a normal shot.

Comment

There's the opening of Rebecca 1940 but that's a dream sequence from a dreamers POV.

Comment

There's something similar in "Breakdown" (1955), an early episode of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, starring Joseph Cotten as a man believed to be dead after a road accident and we see everything from his POV. Directed by Hitchcock himself.

And then there's the sequence in The Premature Burial (1962) directed by Roger Corman in which we join Ray Milland as he gets interred while still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
          There's something similar in "Breakdown" (1955), an early episode of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, starring Joseph Cotten as a man believed to be dead after a road accident and we see everything from his POV. Directed by Hitchcock himself.

And then there's the sequence in The Premature Burial (1962) directed by Roger Corman in which we join Ray Milland as he gets interred while still alive.
          Thanks - I'll check these out.

Comment

There's also Richard Greene from Tales from the Crypt 1972 which originally appeared in comic form.

Comment

Gosh - that 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' is a disturbing piece of television!

Comment

• tv horror
                tv horror commented
                Editing a comment
                There's an episode of Grey's anatomy that features the same type of scene when Patrick Dempsey is being treated after a car accident.

• tv horror
                tv horror commented
                Editing a comment
                I just remembered another episode from a series called Nightmares and Dreamscapes stories by Stephen King. This one featured Richard Thomas in "Autopsy Room Four 2006.

Vampyr (1932).

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Davies View Post
                Vampyr (1932).
                Thanks, I'd forgotten this sequence despite watching 'Vampyr' only a few years ago. The sequence highlights the limitations of this POV - all sky and ceilings - you only get other people's reactions if they hover over the corpse for contrived reasons. Also noted is the constant need to cut back to 'reaction shots' of the face of the unfortunate individual to remind the audience who's point of view we are seeing.

Comment

Can a dead body have a point of view?

Comment

• tv horror
                    tv horror commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It can if it's a cameraman!
                Working...
                X