Mommie Dearest at 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mommie Dearest at 40

Interesting article in the Guardian (linked below), about this (nowadays) cult film.

Faye Dunaway has always blamed this film for destroying her career, she refuses to discuss it in interviews.

I've read there are special screenings where the audience wave axes in the air, when Joan yells "Christina, bring me the axe" for the infamous rose bush hacking sequence, and don't dare hang clothes on wire-hangers, lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...-a-closer-look

Gosh, I hope the axes are dummy ones, made of cardboard or something.

Comment

• tv horror
      tv horror commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Toast and rice seem tame compared to Axes!

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
    Gosh, I hope the axes are dummy ones, made of cardboard or something.
    I did wonder about that, unless they were spaced apart, the mind boggles really !........

I might ask on a Joan Crawford facebook page if anyone attended a screening such as this, wire hangers were waved also, only those who were there would really know what went on !.......

Comment

I think for a long time Faye Dunaway distanced herself from the film, but I have seen a number of interviews where she has talked about the film and her feelings about the Joan and Christina Crawford situation. But I did read a couple of years ago that Faye Dunaway was writing a book about the making of Mommie Dearest, but nothing seems to be forthcoming as for a date for it to be published. Personally I think Dunaway is good as Crawford, but the actresses that play Christina, really don't make her a sympathetic character

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Flynn View Post
        I think for a long time Faye Dunaway distanced herself from the film, but I have seen a number of interviews where she has talked about the film and her feelings about the Joan and Christina Crawford situation. But I did read a couple of years ago that Faye Dunaway was writing a book about the making of Mommie Dearest, but nothing seems to be forthcoming as for a date for it to be published. Personally I think Dunaway is good as Crawford, but the actresses that play Christina, really don't make her a sympathetic character
        I wasn't aware of Faye's potential book, I hope it comes to fruition.

I recall seeing the film on release at the Cinema, it didn't see it as 'for laughs' then, I just thought it was a truthful , but possibly exaggerated portrayal of Joan Crawford, it did the circuit, and that was that, in the days of VHS videos and pre-internet I tried looking for it, but couldn't find one, but I've purchased it since on DVD.

I think Joan had 'standards' rather than cruel streak, liked a clean house, I've seen of photo where her white three-piece suite has transparent plastic covers on it, obviously didn't want the risk of marks and stains on the cushions, plus she used to send thank you notes for thank you notes she received for Christmas presents, etc;

Comment

• narabdela
          narabdela commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that plastic covers on supposedly comfortable furniture, smacks of 'problems' rather then 'standards' Mark. However that's just a personal opinion.

• Sean Flynn
          Sean Flynn commented
          Editing a comment
          In regards to the plastic covers, wasn't that a regular thing in the US, during the 50's, 60's and 70's? I know Ruby Wax said that her mother had the plastic covers over her three piece suite..... There's a superb website, The Concluding Chapter of Crawford, which has done much to debunk the mythology and lies that surround Joan Crawford, and Christina's book Mommie Dearest. It's a website I would highly recommend, hopefully it will rebalance the supposed version of Christina's story.

• Eric7885
          Eric7885 commented
          Editing a comment
          I often wonder if Joan Crawford was such a bad mother. Her daughter says so. Another actress, Bette Davis, her daughter wrote a book about her. Even her ex husband, Gary Merrill, commented, as much as I had a difficult marriage with Betty Davis, I will give credit where credit is due. Betty was not a bad mother, she would not give in to her daughters demands.
          Last edited by Eric7885; 23 September 2021, 01:39 PM.

This is the photo I was thinking of when mentioning covers on suites, whether they're there to avoid little mishaps (of all sorts) is debatable, maybe people did use covers in the USA , I don't remember anything like that in Britain, but hey-ho !.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	4d3d8d093a1067adce5093af3b42ebd6.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	103049

Comment

• Eric7885
          Eric7885 commented
          Editing a comment
          Some people do have plastic covers on expensive furniture, here in Canada. It’s quite common. If you have spills, or food droppings on the plastic covering it’s quite easy to clean. If you have expensive fabrics on your furniture, it could leave stains.

• narabdela
          narabdela commented
          Editing a comment
          The whole point of having expensive fabric is comfort. Who on earth could relax on plastic? I think people who cover sofas and armchairs with plastic must suffer from a form of OCD. If you get a stain, you use stain remover or get a professional in to clean it.

I first saw these covers on the Rhoda tv show, as her mother played by the wonderful Nancy Walker had a set in her home.

Comment

Growing up in the 1950s in North London, we had neighbours - husband and wife - who had plastic covers on their living room suite. I think they were keen on American ideas. They also had two single beds instead of a double bed,, as frequently seen in American films at that time.

Comment

• Eric7885
            Eric7885 commented
            Editing a comment
            It might be a matter of preference. My sister. She has a lovely sitting room set. No plastic covers. She said they would be uncomfortable. My sitting room set, I am not concerned. It’s leather. Putting plastic covers over leather, is not advisable.
        Working...
        X